Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the use of bottles and pacifiers

Millenniumfalsehood

Default On the use of bottles and pacifiers

Do they have any chance of misalligning your teeth? I figure since braces are able to reallign teeth that bottles and pacifiers have a chance of upturning the front teeth.

Thumbsucking may do, but I don't think a pacifier or bottle will. Especially not the bottle since it will only be in the mouth whilst drinking from it. As adults, or nearly adults, most of us wouldn't be going about with a pacifier in our mouths 24/7 either like some young kids do, so it's really highly unlikely.

Most people whose teeth have become misaligned due to thumbsucking or pacifier use (although less prevalent than thumbsucking because the pacifier can and will 'fall out', not to mention can be thrown away by the parents, unlike the thumb) were children who sucked their thumb probably even before they were born and on into early childhood (up to starting school and even beyond).

Depends on your teeth. Once you have had all your adult teeth for a few years, even constant use of bottles, pacis, or thumbs on a regular basis won't mess them up.

I asked my doctor, and while he said I shouldn't, I was completely honest and said that I just liked it. But we was 100% honest back and said it wouldn't have any negative effects.

If you suck REALLY hard for a few hours a day everyday,for months, the possibility is there, but regular sucking wouldn't put enough pressure on them to cause them to move.

My nephews, child spent most of her youth with her thumb in her mouth, they could not break her of the habit, as a result she needed braces.

And if she was around any kids, her age or younger, by the time they left her they were sucking there thumbs also.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    My nephews, child spent most of her youth with her thumb in her mouth, they could not break her of the habit, as a result she needed braces.

And if she was around any kids, her age or younger, by the time they left her they were sucking there thumbs also.
    Just one of my pet peeves, just because she sucked her thumb does not mean it is the ONLY reason they needed braces. There is a decent chance she would have had to have braces anyway.

My sister needed braces, and she NEVER sucked her thumb. She had a paci, then stopped that around 2.

Now if they sucked their thumb until they were 10+, then yeah, that was probably the main cause.

Countdown

When I was a kid, I had a horrible overbite. The orthodontist said it was the worst overbite he had ever seen in all his years of doing orthodontic work. My mom told me I rarely sucked my thumb as a little boy. Maybe I used a pacifier a lot, but my sister used her pacifier until she was six years old and she has a minor overbite. Both of my parents needed braces, so I think my overbite was probably derived from genetics, not thumb-sucking or the use of pacifiers.

[QUOTE=RainbowMommy;85979]Just one of my pet peeves, just because she sucked her thumb does not mean it is the ONLY reason they needed braces. There is a decent chance she would have had to have braces anyway.

Out of the 3 kids she was the only one who needed braces, and her fronts were pushed out from the thumb sucking.

Countdown

[QUOTE=ballucanb;86120]

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowMommy View Post
    Just one of my pet peeves, just because she sucked her thumb does not mean it is the ONLY reason they needed braces. There is a decent chance she would have had to have braces anyway.

Out of the 3 kids she was the only one who needed braces, and her fronts were pushed out from the thumb sucking.
    If you had read my post, you would've seen that I just proved that wrong. I have no doubts that thumb-sucking does increase the risk of needing braces, but it is clearly not the only cause of needing braces.

dprdinky

It's interesting that they have the Nuk 5 pacifier available from German and it's sold as a "trainer" for those who have something wrong with their palate or having difficulty eating properly.

Whether we so desire to use a pacifier or want to suck our thumb, It shouldn't make too much of a problem.

from what it seems, it looks like it's an issue with children due to the roots of their teeth not being fully grown and embedded into the gum line.
    i wasn't a pacifier or thumb kid and i needed braces due to genetics and an early bashing of the toothy kind while i was at disney world.