Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crock-pots! Anyone else use them?

Default Crock-pots! Anyone else use them?

Lately to eat healthier and better; as well as make meals that can last a few days I have been experimenting with my crock-pot. My crock-pot by the way was my mom's when I was growing up as she has a newer one and I just love mine!

Thus far, I've made a lasanga, stroganoff, stew, chili and a few other things from some cookbooks I have for the crock-pot.

So, is there anyone else who finds a crock-pot as valuable as I do when living in a studio apartment or anywhere in particular?

WildThing121675

I don't use it but my mom makes us chili, roast, ham, and we tried turkey a few months ago, that was really good. (we have a massive crock pot, it's big enough to fit a turkey and half a roast inside, we hardly ever use it though cuz it's a pain to clean)

---
    - Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Crock-pots. Ok. I just spend three minutes in confusion reading it crack-pots and wondering how they could possibly lead to a healthier diet.

My aunt uses a her crock-pot to keep apple cider warm during the holidays. Sometimes it picks up an unsettling, beefy taste, though, so I try to avoid her cider.

I am a fan of crock-pots, and I used to use mine all the time when I was single. I really should use it more these days, but usually I don't think of anything to make with it until it's too late to do it. I especially enjoy them for roasts, casseroles, and chili. I find that preparing my chili, then throwing it in the crock pot on low for the day really makes it excellent!

My mom uses one from the 80's for chili. Hearing all these nice things about them, I may have to try one in the future if I live off campus.

Oh, and one thing that does help with the cleanup is the new crock-pot bags they make and it does not affect the quality of the food. The lasanga I made last night turned out great and I am getting other ideas. I can't wait to experiment more with it as time goes on.

WildThing121675

Cherub

My wife cooks all sorts of stuff in hers. We have two, a large one and a lil baby one, lol. My favorite food from crock-pot cooking is a roast with carrots and potatoes. I especially love potatoes when they're cooked in with a roast! man,,,,now I'm hungry,,,thanks guys, LOL

I love using a crock-pot.
    My fav thing to make is stew. It so much better making it in one than on stove top.
    Making my own chili is great too. As well as various soups of my own making, what ever I have on hand stuff.

Tho I didn't know lasagna could be made in one.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Crock-pots. Ok. I just spend three minutes in confusion reading it crack-pots and wondering how they could possibly lead to a healthier diet.

My aunt uses a her crock-pot to keep apple cider warm during the holidays. Sometimes it picks up an unsettling, beefy taste, though, so I try to avoid her cider.
    Thanks for the good laugh you just gave me. I needed that after the suicide thread. It sounds like your aunt isn't cleaning her crock pot very well after cooking pot roast. Oh yummm!

My wife has two or three crock pots. I can't keep up. One of her best dishes is chicken Italiano. She puts the chicken in the crock pot with about 3/4 cups of water and a package of dry Italian salad dressing. She cooks it for 4 hours and then takes the chicken out. She mixes together an 8 oz. package of cream cheese and a can of cream of mushroom soup and gets it hot in the microwave, mixing it together. Then she mixes it with the liquid in the crock pot and makes sure there are no lumps in it. She puts the chicken back in it and lets it cook for another hour. It's very, very good.

Yeah- Lasanga can be made in a crock-pot. This is how I make mine. First I mix up a can of tomato paste and diced tomatoes, some onion, mushrooms and green peppers. I use a pound of ground beef and best of all- I didn't have to cook the noodles.

I put first, some lasanga noodles on the bottom and layer some beef atop the noodles, then pour the tomato sauce, then put some cottage cheese on top, in lieu of ricotta cheese- and repeat until I fill it up. Then, I pour some Italian spices on top and top it with some shredded mozzarella. And damn, doesn't it taste good and turn out good! Wow.

So, Lasanga can be made in a crock-pot- Oh, and for lasanga cook on high for 4 hours or 8 hours for low.

WildThing121675