View Poll Results: Which gender neutral third person pronouns do you prefer?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I just use "he" all the time

4 13.79%
  • "he or she"

6 20.69%
  • "s/he"

4 13.79%
  • I alternate between "he" and "she"

5 17.24%
  • "they"

18 62.07%
  • "ze"

1 3.45%
  • other (specify below)

3 10.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third person gender neutral pronouns

Default Third person gender neutral pronouns

Third person gender neutral pronouns: which do you like to use? I'm a big supporter of the third person singular "they" as a gender neutral pronoun, citing its long history of use, natural introduction into the language, and similar grammatically acceptable constructions in other languages. However, I'm bound by university guidelines to use alternate "he" and "she," which I consider tolerable. What do you use/which do you think is the best option?

Ok grammar nerds, debate!

"They" is a good gender neutral pronoun, but you could also try...
    -"them"
    -"person"
    -"individual"
    -"human"
    -"guy" (doesn't always have a male connotation)

That's all I can really think of.

One could say that the best option would be 'one'. But that really only works in speaking generality, in the case when you know who the 'one'' is but do not know 'what' the 'one' is then i tend to just say he until corrected. Esp in an ABDL forum when 80% of people are males. It is just playing the odds. If i were in a 'barbie' chat room, i would probably say she until corrected. Of course if i were in a barbie chatroom i would hope to be shot shortly afterwards so it would be a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by BandNerd View Post
    -"guy" (doesn't always have a male connotation)
    Word. "Dude" also works, too, but then there's always that one girl who hears "guy" or "dude" and thinks you're calling her a tomboy :P I had a boss once who used to refer to every person as "guy," perhaps in an attempt to be gender neutral, and that got real old real fast. He was a character.

Quote Originally Posted by ABalex View Post
    One could say that the best option would be 'one'.
    Darn it! I knew I was forgetting a major one.

Locke

I always heard the correct pronunciation for an asexual being is 'Xe,' and for someone who is either dressed up as the opposite gender or has had a sex change, He/she or she/he respectively, with their original gender second.

I tend to use "they" - "s/he" is more technical, doesn't look pretty on the page, and is unpronounceable.

I do have one specific problem with gender neutrality though: addressing or describing God. God the Father and Son have to be he, but God the Creator, who is beyond definition by gender, is another matter.

And those who know the Anglican baptism service with its threefold statement of belief:

Do you believe and trust in God the Father, source of all being and life, the one for whom we exist?
    I believe and trust in him.
    Do you believe and trust in God the Son, who took our human nature, died for us and rose again?
    Do you believe and trust in God the Holy Spirit, who gives life to the people of God and makes Christ known in the world?

will perhaps understand why my sotto voce response to the final part is
    I believe and trust in her.

Hugs

Artie

Being taught by old school English teachers and being a bit old school myself, for formal writing, I use "he" exclusively, unless I'm specifically referring to a female, when I have to refer to an individual. Usually, I try to get away with using "one" and its various forms, but there are situations when that just doesn't work well. "They" is accepted in informal usage, but it is a plural form, so it is not appropriate for formal writing when one is referring to a singular person.

I've also seen "shim" put forth as a gender-neutral pronoun, but it seems convoluted and possibly offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyArtie View Post
    I tend to use "they" - "s/he" is more technical, doesn't look pretty on the page, and is unpronounceable.

I do have one specific problem with gender neutrality though: addressing or describing God. God the Father and Son have to be he, but God the Creator, who is beyond definition by gender, is another matter.

And those who know the Anglican baptism service with its threefold statement of belief:

Do you believe and trust in God the Father, source of all being and life, the one for whom we exist?
    Do you believe and trust in God the Son, who took our human nature, died for us and rose again?
    Do you believe and trust in God the Holy Spirit, who gives life to the people of God and makes Christ known in the world?

will perhaps understand why my sotto voce response to the final part is
    I believe and trust in her.

Hugs

Artie
    My church just avoids pronouns when referring to God altogether. For example, our doxology is:

Praise God from whom all blessings flow
    Praise God you creatures here below
    Praise God above ye heavenly host
    Creator, Christ, and Holy Ghost

For those who aren't familiar with the doxology, it's traditionally:

Praise God...
    Praise Him...
    Praise Him...
    Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost

Well. In Futurama, Yivo from The Beast With a Billion Back was gender neutral. They used schklee, and schklim or schkler.

I generally use they, or their name. If they're trans, I use whatever they prefer.