Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old vs. New Bambino (October 2011 Changes)

Default Old vs. New Bambino (October 2011 Changes)

Most of you who are fans of Bambino have probably already heard of the changes made to the Classico, Bianco, and Teddy diapers. The official Bambino website states:

You will notice some small changes:
    • The box size is different due to the way our new machine folds the diapers
    • The inner leg cuffs stand taller and closer to the core
    • The non-woven is now softer
    • The Teddy printed frontal landing zone now has a high gloss finish
    The sizing of our new medium diapers (32" to 44") should fit the same as our original diapers.
    So, the big question is: are these changes an improvement or not? I have a case of the new Bambino Teddies and a few of the old Teddies to compare them with.

The first thing that one will notice is that the shipping box has changed from roughly a small square to a large rectangle. Inside, the packs of diapers seem larger. Each one still contains 8 diapers, but they are of a different shape (see below).

Left: Old Bambino
    Right: New Bambino

Top: Old Bambino
    Bottom: New Bambino

The new Bambinos clearly look wider. They also seem to not be so highly compressed in the packaging. They take up more room that way, resulting in a larger bag size, but it is nice to pull a diaper out of the pack that feels cushiony, rather than the somewhat unwelcoming 'stiff' feeling that the old version had. There does not seem to be a notable change in actual thickness, but the new version feels thicker straight out of the package because it is not as compressed. Also, the new ones are now folded so that the prints are showing right out of the package, which is a nice touch. The best part, though, is the inside.

The interior fabric has indeed changed: it is softer. Much, much softer. Combined with the fact that the uncompressed padding doesn't have the 'hard clumps' that the old padding tended to have make this a great improvement for comfort.

Another striking difference pictured above is that the new diapers (these are both mediums, by the way) appear to be significantly smaller than the old. However, as shown below, a few strategically placed pins reveals the truth:

The new Bambinos have improved elastic leg gathers, making them appear smaller than they actually are. When stretched out, it is apparent that the actual difference is less drastic, but there is still a difference:
    • the unfolded length of the old diapers was 31.5", compared to 30.5" for the new.
    • the old front and back wings measured 25.5" wide, whereas the new are 24.5" wide.
    • the length of the padding is the same for both, at 26.5".
    • the width of the padding in the crotch is the same at 8", while the width of the plastic is 12.5" for the old and 13.25" for the new.
    • the width of the front padding is 11" for both, while the width of the back padding is 15" for the old and 16" for the new.
    (Please not that all measurements were taken with both diapers stretched flat; due to manufacturing variance and human error, measurements of your diaper may vary slightly.)

For reference, I wear size 32 jeans and the new Bambinos fit fine. However, someone who is at the very upper range of the medium size and who just barely fit into the old Bambino mediums may have trouble with the new version.

Another immediately visible change is that the shape of the padding is now an hourglass, similar to Abena diapers. There shouldn't be much of a functional difference, but aesthetically I think the hourglass looks more streamlined and neater.

I'm not particular about plastic texture as long as it doesn't have any pinholes or rough plastic 'pilling' (the new plastic doesn't seem to have these issues, by the way). For those who are interested, I will say that the new plastic feels a little less slick. Crinkly-ness is about the same.

Above, one can see that a fourth elastic has been added to the leg gathers. The new fit is definitely more snug around the legs. Additionally, the new texture of the inner lining can be seen.

Below, the taller leak guards can be seen. Contrary to what the official Bambino update says, it looks like the guards actually stand further away from the core. The old width from one leak guard to the other was 8"; now it's 9.5". I'm not sure what the functional consequence of this is, although I think the wider spacing will be useful for those who like to stuff with baby diapers to add absorbency. The taller leak guards will be good for those who like to place boosters, such as the Bambino Quadro or Abri-Let Maxi, between the guards.

A front view of both (below) gives another impression of what the increased elastic does to the appearance of the diaper.

Additionally, if one looks closely at the above photo, it is clear that the new taping panel is smaller. It is now 19.5" wide and 4.5" tall, compared to the 21.5" and 5.5" of the old version. A closeup of the front wings, below, shows why this change may have been made:

The new front wings have a sharper upwards angle and are considerably shorter (in the vertical direction of the above photo), leaving less room for the taping panel. I find this to be a very welcome change because the old front wings actually extended below where my leg naturally bends at the hip. This resulted in the wing and sometimes the taping panel bunching up in that area, which was uncomfortable.

Another problem, being on the smaller end of the size range, was that the old taping panel extended so far into the side of the wings that it wrapped around my side and touched the rear padding. This ordinarily isn't so bad with other diapers, but the taping panel on Bambinos is thick and really uncomfortable should it bunch up right next to the skin. I preferred the Teddies with the matte taping panel because it was at least thinner and more comfortable if it bunched up, so I was somewhat dismayed when I heard that Bambino switched to the thicker shiny taping panel (which seems identical to what is used for the Classico and Biancos). Happily, the fit improvements and smaller taping panel make this a non-issue.

While on the subject of taping, these have also been changed. The new tapes are smaller and more closely spaced (below), with the bottom tape moved upwards. Again, I'm happy to see this change because I found the old ones to be just a little too low for comfort.

Time will tell if the new tapes hold up to use and movement. My initial impression is that they hold well and will probably meet or exceed the old tapes, despite their smaller size.

As far as initial impressions go, I think the changes are for the better: the new Bambinos are softer and fit better (caveat: this may not hold true if one found the old mediums to be very tight, bordering on not fitting). The overall impression is one of greater quality. Looking at the two versions side-by-side, the new diaper simply seems more inviting, in a cuddly sort of way. The old version, which I was previously quite satisfied with, suddenly seem rather stiff and a bit rough-textured in comparison.

I'll address absorbency and durability (does the padding clump with active wear, do the leg gathers lose elasticity, do the tapes break) once I've had more time to field test these, so to speak. For now, I can say that I prefer the new version.

I also got the new teddies and still have a older one (never tried the original stretch target tape versions).
    I too like the improvements.

So far I think absorbancy is at least the same(not 100% sure)
    There still on the top for one of most comfy.
    Also from what I seen so far I think the tapes hold better.
    Tho I think they are just a bit smaller they still fit me just fine.

Very great review on these. :3

Yup, got mine yesterday and can back this review. The waist size is a bit smaller, and the crotch is wider. I love the new tapes, they've stuck really well for me. Personally, these new bambinos are more comfortable. I put one on last night before bed and am still wearing it now about 12 hours and 1 wetting later and I'm still sitting comfy in it.

Hmm... With the new thinner wings, the mediums might fit around my legs now, but with them being a bit narrower overall, I dunno. For the first time in a long time, I might have to order a sample pack of each size to see how they fit.

Thank you for this post!!

Excellent review!! I dont know if i missed it but it should be noted that the outer plastic is completely different then the old style. I got my cases in yesterday and was very nervous after hearing the sizing difference issues. I opened the pack and saw they were noticeably smaller. I soon went out for dinner with the gf so i put on an old style for the night, once i got home though i tired the new ones out. The plastic is not a slippery as the old style but i have to say its definitely more comfy. They are smaller even though stretched there pretty much the same once on you the elastic makes them just feel small. I have a 36" waist and wear 34-36 pants i should be right in the middle but i feel if i were any bigger they wouldnt fit. I think bambino should change their sizing guide im still debating on weather the sizing is good for me , the old ones fit like a glove these dont however i may get used to it in time. I just looked at the site and their out of larges wonderful!! lol

Great writeup. Haven't tried Bambinos, but it's encouraging to see that they're apparently continuing to invest in making their diapers more appealing. In particular, I'm pleased to see that they seem to have improved the elastic gathers. One of my observations of adult disposables is that the proportions of the elastic relative to baby diapers are just not sufficient. From the pictures above, the new diaper appears to be a good deal more stretchy lengthwise. Two thumbs up on that!

LL

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Hmm... With the new thinner wings, the mediums might fit around my legs now, but with them being a bit narrower overall, I dunno. For the first time in a long time, I might have to order a sample pack of each size to see how they fit.
    I dunno... have a close look at the pic comparing the two stretched flat: the overall leg shape of the new ones hasn't changed a whole lot, even though the front wings are thinner. It's just enough to bring the the front wing up so it doesn't bunch up by the hip joint, but I'm not sure if it really adds much size--certainly. Another problem would be the shorter taping panel--if you needed to put the lower tapes right at the edge of it, keep in mind that it's now 1" shorter on each side.

If they make the same changes to the Large, though, the added elastic might help those to fit more snug around the legs--unless, of course, your biggest issue with the larges was that the tapes overlapped in the waist. I would wait 'til they restock the larges with the design changes before ordering a sample pack of medium and large.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasantlypampered View Post
    Excellent review!! I dont know if i missed it but it should be noted that the outer plastic is completely different then the old style.
    The plastic is not a slippery as the old style but i have to say its definitely more comfy.
    I noticed the same thing. I mentioned it, but didn't spend much time discussing since it seemed like a small difference. Plastic texture isn't a huge deal for me as long as it's comfortable and it works

I have a 36" waist and wear 34-36 pants i should be right in the middle but i feel if i were any bigger they wouldnt fit. I think bambino should change their sizing guide im still debating on weather the sizing is good for me , the old ones fit like a glove these dont however i may get used to it in time. I just looked at the site and their out of larges wonderful!!
    Hmm... I should maybe revisit this in the review. I just kind of glossed over the issue when I mentioned only my pants size, since that seems to be how most people judge their waist size. I think two things might be happening here: some pants manufacturers participate in 'vanity sizing,' so while my jeans label might say 32, my 'waist' (or rather, where I wear my jeans: circumference over the very top of the hip bones at the iliac crest) actually measures closer to 34". Additionally, the largest circumference that a diaper must cover often isn't the waist but the hips--and this holds true for both females and males, particularly guys who don't carry much abdominal fat. The hip circumference measurement would be taken roughly in the middle of the pelvis, directly over the largest point of the gluteus maximus, aka butt. For me, this measurement is 37", which is still comfortably within range of the stated 32-44" for the mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by LilLeaker View Post
    Great writeup. Haven't tried Bambinos, but it's encouraging to see that they're apparently continuing to invest in making their diapers more appealing. In particular, I'm pleased to see that they seem to have improved the elastic gathers. One of my observations of adult disposables is that the proportions of the elastic relative to baby diapers are just not sufficient. From the pictures above, the new diaper appears to be a good deal more stretchy lengthwise. Two thumbs up on that!
    I agree--I'd like to send them a 'thank you' e-mail for actually making improvements with their 'new and improved' version, instead of actually cutting back on materials and absorbency like so many other diaper manufacturers seem to do.

You're right on the leg gathers. Baby diapers do have a lot more stretch. From what I've noticed so far, it's a good move for adult diapers, too, because the new leg gathers seem to be preventing some leak-inducing gaps that I used to get with the old Bambinos.

HMM..maybe I will have to give these a whirl, because I have ordered some Molicure Medium, Tranquility ATN Medium, Attends Medium, Depends Medium..all tape style, put them on...found out too loose and took them off and threw them away, because they were all to big for me. Now with these being smaller than what they actually are, I just might fit "correctly" in them.

After trying them out for a few days I have to say I like the fit of the old ones a little better and I think the old tapes are far superior .. when I sleep they now seem to stretch out more and untape easier

After trying them out for a few days I have to say I like the fit of the old ones a little better and I think the old tapes are far superior .. when I sleep they now seem to stretch out more and untape easier
    Huh, I've noticed the exact opposite: with the old ones, I had issues with waking up to a loose diaper. I also had issues with the tapes breaking away, not from the tape panel, but from the back wing.

With the new ones, I wake up to a still-snug fit and I haven't had a broken tape yet (almost done with my first pack).