Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building reputation for ABDL community

Default Building reputation for ABDL community

Ok, so just read another post, and it was one of our many posts about how somebody is doing something that makes Ab/Dl's look like crazies. So i figure a good topic might be on the subject of public relations.

Does anybody have a good idea how us as Ab/Dl's could build up a positive public Reputation?

Of course this would mean a couple of things, one being that we would probably have to go out of our comfort zone of the quite lifestyle we keep, i know that many of us don't want a public image. However there could be the advantage that people wouldn't always be getting negative reports about us. Also it would make it easier for some of the TB's out there to not feel so intimidated their desires, along with parents becoming more understanding of their child's desire.

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

So i'll start by suggesting the possibility of random service acts, which could even be done anonymously, that way our personal identity could keep hidden. Corny as it sounds, you could potentially have a logo for Ab/Dl's that they could leave behind as a trace to who did the kind act, then all of the sudden a bunch of these logo's will start showing up all over the world. It's an idea anyhow.

Locke

Well, we could start having 'AB Pride Parades,' AB conventions, etc. Only most people don't know about us, so they don't really care, it would more be saying 'We exist,' than 'We deserve respect!'

IMHO, i seriously doubt that an abdl "pride parade" would do anything positive for us, for a lot of reasons.

i do think that the whole public service and leaving a note is a good idea, although some people might chalk it up to "oh, they just want attention, so let's ignore them." either way, though, doing nice things for people isn't a bad idea.

I don't think this will be possible in public. The vast majority of the outside world does not care what underwear we prefer, or what we like to drink our chocolate milk out of when we're laying in bed.

I believe that this ADISC website itself is the best builder of reputation for our community. It is full of good conversations and discussion about many different topics, and no doubt receives thousands of referrals from search engines daily. Every time I look at the front page I see that hundreds of guests are browsing the site. Sure, people might drop by due to a search result, be repulsed, and leave. But not by the hundreds, on a regular basis! And a lot of those people are joining! At the moment, 20 in the past 24 hours.

ADISC has a giant lurking anonymous community of positively interested people. (Hey, you! Sign up already!)

The thing is, as it stands, we are a community that not many people know about, and a community that can stay hidden well, unlike the gay community, ABDLism can be kept a secret. If these things were to change, we would instantly catch hell with the public. Didn't you ever see that Glenn Beck page where he talks about us?
    More widespread knowledge of our existence would just draw haters.

I think the best approach for building a positive reputation would be to try and avoid any reputation. I'd imagine most people don't know we exist and so would't jump to conclusions about us. Sites such as adisc, as opposed to some of the others, do however help when people find out and turn to Google. They show we're not all creepy weirdoes

For starters, a lot of the people that are super-secret about it need to get over it and come out of the diaper closet.

Here's the thing that PR types have failed to realize for generations-if you don't talk about it, someone will. In our case, a whole lot of ABDLs prefer to remain 3Mers (Monitor, Marinate, Masterbate), hiding behind the safety of a computer screen and then building a big wall between that and reality. Quite frankly, this causes our community immeasurable harm. Invariably, for the 99 sane and rational ABDLs out there that are just going to work or class every day, paying their bills, hanging out with friends, and staying out of trouble, there is that one person that's scamming some home nurse to get his diapers changed, or rooting through a dumpster to find used diapers, or setting himself up as the next Deeker, or doing some other stupid shit that drags down the image of the community.

Those who remain super secretive and closeted are allowing the one out of 100, the one weirdo, to set the tone, establish the image, and control the discourse. If we want to start somewhere, being a little more open about being ABDLs, or at least being willing to talk about it at all, is a good start. We're on the map now, whether you like it or not, so there's no more pretending that ABDLs just don't exist and hoping the conversation goes away. People know we exist now, and when 99 percent of the sane members of our community stay hidden, the weirdos get to set the tone.

You want positive change? Then start working for it.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    For starters, a lot of the people that are super-secret about it need to get over it and come out of the diaper closet.

Those who remain super secretive and closeted are allowing the one out of 100, the one weirdo, to set the tone, establish the image, and control the discourse. If we want to start somewhere, being a little more open about being ABDLs, or at least being willing to talk about it at all, is a good start. We're on the map now, whether you like it or not, so there's no more pretending that ABDLs just don't exist and hoping the conversation goes away. People know we exist now, and when 99 percent of the sane members of our community stay hidden, the weirdos get to set the tone.

You want positive change? Then start working for it.

Quote Originally Posted by winnerchickendinner View Post
    The thing is, as it stands, we are a community that not many people know about, and a community that can stay hidden well, unlike the gay community, ABDLism can be kept a secret. If these things were to change, we would instantly catch hell with the public. Didn't you ever see that Glenn Beck page where he talks about us?
    More widespread knowledge of our existence would just draw haters.
    I agree with both, however xbabyx has a very valid point of the 1 in a 100. We all like to keep this life style secret, which i think is a great thing about the community, is we aren't super pressuring to get out there (no parades that block up traffic, etc). We like to keep to ourselves, unfortunately the one moron who gets associated with us, and makes a public scene, puts our community out to the world as a bunch of weirdos. And because of that, the repercussions of being discovered are a greater risk. So, what is of more value to us as a community? Keeping our ways secret, and with only occasionally mis-construed. Or should we move past our comfort and do something to improve our rep, so that should one of us be discovered, the response would be much easier, and the new *B/DL's don't feel scared to be themselves.
    How much are we as a community willing to do? Or would we much rather keep to ourselves.

I never really understood why ABDLs seek public attention. Even if you think you are trying to get good attention you are going to feet bad attention. I know most people have a need for feeling accepted, but personally the world doesn't need to know my fetishes. This is not a civil rights issue. We don't need a freakin parade. The only people that need to accept me are myself and my partner. You want positive attention? Start small not big. The next person you come out to, you educate them. Educate them how the media has done the community wrong. About how we aren't pedophiles' this has nothing to do with children. That's how we should be making a difference. Not by throwing a damn parade.

No fetish should seek to build "public reputation." The end goal for all sexual kinks should be widespread apathy - nothing more, nothing less. This is something that can only be achieved through social change, not PR work. It will come in time, and attempts to force it to come earlier will most likely not help.