Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who do not live alone

Default For those who do not live alone

Does the custom google ads freak you out sometimes? Even though my father knows now I don't want to be in your face about it. He doesn't read over my shoulder while I'm on the computer but it might keep it on his mind if every time he uses my computer(I keep it in the kitchen so he can go on craig's list and stuff) he sees advertisements for diapers and baby clothes. What would be even worse would be if my brother saw it when he came over. My father is computer illiterate but my brother knows that google mainly shows ads for things that you have already shown interest in. I know it's easy to just click on the little x on the ad and google will stop showing it, but that only lasts for a day or two till they start showing a similar one.

Does this bother anyone else or am I the only one?

thankfully I use the computer for a million things...games/music/youtube and way much more...so those ad's mostly just pop up about those things...but the ads on TV bug me when they come on...I always feel like im put in the spot light when the fam is in the living room or something and they pop on...

Well it would bother me but noone else ever uses my computer.
    There's ways to prevent that from happening though, use Scroogle instead of Google when searching for abdl related things and block all the Google analytics tracker scripts which many sites use. That way it becomes a lot harder for Google to track you and serve you diaper related ads.

Also, you might just want to block those pesky ads with something like AdBlockPlus (if you're using FireFox). If you don't want to be tracked, I think most major browsers now support a "don't track me" option which is supposed to hint advertisers about your preferences, they could just ignore it but Google may actually honor it.

Use the private browsing or incognito modes of the browser, or 'portable' versions of browsers. They won't track you and can't save cookies permanently, so google knows nothing about your browsing. You do have to put in username/passwords each time for web sites that need them though.

Watch out if you sign into Google services (e.g. Picasa, Google+, GMail), as once signed in, you're signed into Google and by default it will keep a central history of your browsing, regardless of the private browsing mode. Worse is whatever PC you use, if you log into a Google service, it will pick that history up.

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    Use the private browsing or incognito modes of the browser, or 'portable' versions of browsers. They won't track you and can't save cookies permanently, so google knows nothing about your browsing. You do have to put in username/passwords each time for web sites that need them though.

This is all good advice. It's worth pointing out that this won't prevent against the increasingly more common IP address tracking that a number of sites/services are now using though. To get round those you need non-sticky IPs, proxies and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    Watch out if you sign into Google services (e.g. Picasa, Google+, GMail), as once signed in, you're signed into Google and by default it will keep a central history of your browsing, regardless of the private browsing mode. Worse is whatever PC you use, if you log into a Google service, it will pick that history up.
    I know people who have been caught out by this when giving presentations in lectures at university. They'd store their work in Google Docs or GMail, which meant they'd have to log in to get it. If they then went on to Google for anything else it could be very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    adblock+ is your friend....
    This ^^

Or you could simply dedicate a browser to DL-websurfing, and another one to everything/everyone else. I think this is the safest way to do when you're worried someone could be using your computer and seeing what you've done online.

Cherub

I use a portable version of Mozilla FireFox and it is launched from a USB drive. I have tested it many different ways and it leaves ZERO footprint behind on the host computer.

what i find most disturbing is that my gmail account now automatically logs me into youtube. so google is able to keep track of whatever videos i watch, and associates that with the email address i use for a lot of work-related stuff.

i guess i need to get more scrupulous about using my work-only email address.

/rant

Yeah, had some embarrassing shit come up once. I really don't like it.. especially when doing something outside this subject. IE Work, or just about anything else unrelated.. I actually stopped business with a couple of vendors, and explained why. freaking ad pervs. I cant even pump gas anymore without being audibly or visually assaulted by them. My personal view is that when I've had an advert jump out at me like that (on the web or IRL) it feels like an assault.

I stop doing business with that company and tell them why. I have a short list of companies I refuse to do business with because of this.

3 Gas stations and one chain in particular, also for never posting their goods prices. and 2 internet companies, where I called and cancelled the order on the phone the next morning before shipping, and told them why.

If they were a little more subtle about it, I wouldn't have a problem, but when it comes out and screams at me, or feels like they're bonking me over the head with it. I dont want their product.

Google and Bing search engines no longer get my business either because of this.

F******* ad pervs can't seem to understand when they invade my personal space, they actually lose my business