Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Synesthesia (seeing/hearing colours) - Anyone?

Default Synesthesia (seeing/hearing colours) - Anyone?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone of you is experiencing/ has experienced this. A friend of mine can put colours to voices for instance. She says for instance that my voice is orange. I can do the same; I see her voice as magenta when I hear it, though I don't directly see the colour in front of me while she speaks.
    But my weekdays have colours. Always have had! Mondays are of a peach colour, tuesdays are light turquoise, wednesdays light orange, thursdays dark brown, fridays white, saturdays olive blue and sundays light pink.
    This seeing or hearing colours etc is called synesthesia - does anyone else here have that?

I don't, but it certainly sounds like fun to have this ability!

Cherub

I equated time with colors. For me 6:30 was red because of the jolting buzzer of my alarm clock. Since being out of school, I use soft music as an alarm clock. I use my cell phone now instead of my actual alarm clock. I hate being jolted awake, makes my heart race and throb. So for me I have had the color equation to times:
    6:30AM - red (crisis time, get out of bed and get moving!)
    12:00AM - black (nothing was open, everything is quiet and shut down)
    11AM - blue (the day is underway and not much happening)
    1PM - White (activities are in full swing)
    3PM - Green (school was out, and I could have some fun while still daylight)
    7PM - Orange (the day is winding down, time to switch to lower gear and settle down for the evening

umm, yeah, on an acid trip about 25 years ago

I get it when I'm stressed. It's not that fun for me, since I get it with written text, which means that anything written on coloured paper (like my exam questions) were hard for me to read...

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    I get it when I'm stressed. It's not that fun for me, since I get it with written text, which means that anything written on coloured paper (like my exam questions) were hard for me to read...
    Oh that must be tough!

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dlCherub View Post
    I equated time with colors. For me 6:30 was red because of the jolting buzzer of my alarm clock. Since being out of school, I use soft music as an alarm clock. I use my cell phone now instead of my actual alarm clock. I hate being jolted awake, makes my heart race and throb. So for me I have had the color equation to times:
    6:30AM - red (crisis time, get out of bed and get moving!)
    12:00AM - black (nothing was open, everything is quiet and shut down)
    11AM - blue (the day is underway and not much happening)
    1PM - White (activities are in full swing)
    3PM - Green (school was out, and I could have some fun while still daylight)
    7PM - Orange (the day is winding down, time to switch to lower gear and settle down for the evening
    That's interesting! It's pretty good to hear that others get the same thing, I thought I was weird with my weekdays before I read about what it is and all.

I don't understand this condition. I can picture anything or imagine any flavor but I don't think that would mean I have it. Same as if I wanted to think Wednesday is a black day and I picture black. That still wouldn't mean I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I don't understand this condition. I can picture anything or imagine any flavor but I don't think that would mean I have it. Same as if I wanted to think Wednesday is a black day and I picture black. That still wouldn't mean I have it.
    some confuse synaesthesia with learned associations between the senses.
    mine is primarily visual, into other senses, but also vice versa. it's a lot less than when i was a kid when it caused some confusion between myself and adults and the main time that it stands out, nowadays, is at night and i hear a sound and i see light (different types, depending on the type of sound); the strangest aspect to that is that i see the light before i hear the sound.

a plus to having synaesthesia is that it can lead to one questioning the nature of the world at very young age (once it's obvious that others don't share your experience of the 'real' world). some of those questions are only just being approached by science and rationale.

I don't get the colours thing, but I do see music inside my head. I visualise what songs look like, sometimes I can't describe it, but some songs are also very distinct looking, for example I listened to one song about 8/9 months ago that looked like two circular pipes attached to a rectangular base and the pipes were racing each other at some speed along this block, sometimes crossing paths and twisting into each other. I don't remember the song name but the band was Asking Alexandria. I don't recall what the song sounded like at all, just what it looked like. Also, when I think about music I don't play it or sing it to myself in my head, because I can see what they look like, so I can think about one song and sing an entirely different song at the same time, albeit rather badly. It's just like singing while looking at a drawing, I guess. I assumed everybody could do this until earlier this year when I started asking people about it, and everybody I've asked so far has told me that they don't think like that at all.

I also visualise numbers, the days of the week, months, times of day, et cetera as very distinct blocks. For example if I'm visualising the week I will see seven three dimensional blocks attached to each other in a line, all of which look different. The blocks for Saturday and Sunday are raised slightly higher than the rest of the week, and each block looks different depending on what I have planned for that day, for example a day when I'm playing football will look different than a day when I'm not playing football. I also visualise the alphabet in a similar way, which may explain why I was able to say it backwards when I was three years old.

In music, I visualize the various keys in color. A major is yellow, B flat is brown, etc. It's determined by the half steps and whole steps. I also like even numbers and dislike odd numbers. If I'm pouring water, I tend to count.

As for seeing colors and auras, yes, I did that on acid.