Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Rant about Adult Pull-Ups

Dolphins2011

Default Short Rant about Adult Pull-Ups

So, I bought some Abena Abri-Flex, and they're pretty good. They absorb well, they're comfy (though I wish they didn't rise so high), and they actually feel somewhat thick. Sure they're not plastic-backed, but hey I enjoy the change of pace occasionally. There's just one minor problem...

They look freaking retarded!

And this goes for all adult pull-ups. They all have that goofy wrinkled waistband. Anyone who has tried any protective underwear or adult pull-up knows what I'm talking about. Why can't they make adult pull-ups with a waistband like Goodnites, Pull-Ups, or Underjams? Those don't look silly. What, does technology not exist to make a "Goodnite" style pull-up in a larger size?

Let's forget about ABDL for a moment. These products are designed for incontinent adults who want discreetness. An incontinent adult doesn't want to be shamed by wearing bladder control products. So why do the companies make these look as goofy as possible? Adult "tape-up" style diapers look sleek; why do their discreet counterparts look like wrinkled granny panties?

Are they trying to differentiate between child "training pants" and adult "protective underwear"? Yeah, let's make our adult products even goofier than our child products. That will surely make adults feel better about wearing incontinence products.

Maybe this "frilly" waistband is cheaper to make. But oh, wait, I thought Abena was a quality product. If this was a Depend or Attend product, I could understand if they cut corners, but not Abena. There is no excuse.

Seriously, this really pisses me off. I feel like a sissy wearing these, and I personally don't enjoy feeling like a sissy. I don't know, I just think it's pretty bad when I actually want to cover my diaper with boxer shorts.

Ok, rant over.

Rant restarted,

I haven't used those products for many years for those very reasons aside from having to remove my pants to change, and major leak issues, the Depends products I've used in the past looked suspiciously like baby diaper rejects with the silly ass 6 inch wide waist band attached (all the way down to having star, moon and bottle watermarks in the fabric)
    not to mention the suckers bunching up in the rear and wearing through invariably after a couple of hours, I've given up on them completely years ago (never even made it halfway through the box)

end rant

I think you have a justified rant. They look like they might be designed for women, but certainly not men, unless you want the sissy look. I'm lucky because I grew up in the cloth/plastic pants era. Cloth always look like a baby diaper, just bigger. The same is true with plastic pants. In fact, some companies go all out trying to make them look babyish. The same is true about the way they feel, wet cloth against the skin. Sigh.....

Your rant explains my sentiments exactly. Also, many brands of adult pull-ups (Depends *cough* *cough*) lack absorbency. It's like they don't even design them for those who need them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ragecomic.jpg 
Views:	1628 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	6160

The frilly elastic in adult pull-ups is just way stretchier than Huggies elastic. To use the latter, they'd have to offer adult diapers in more sizes, and yet stores wouldn't want that. The market is just too small.

LL

Quote Originally Posted by LilLeaker View Post
    The frilly elastic in adult pull-ups is just way stretchier than Huggies elastic. To use the latter, they'd have to offer adult diapers in more sizes, and yet stores wouldn't want that. The market is just too small.

LL
    yeah, it's basically just budget. they figure that no one wants their "adult pull-on undergarments" (diapers) to show, so it doesn't matter if they look silly.
    there's less variation in waist size with the target users of goodnites (children), and it's more important for children to not feel childish (oddly enough), so they try to make that style as underwear-like as possible.

tl;dr adults dont care about the looks of it, so it's functional to all the different sizes of people who use them.
    kids don't want theirs to look babyish, but the manufacturer can get away with making a smaller size range to accommodate that.

Dolphins2011

Quote Originally Posted by LilLeaker View Post

LL
    If you read my post, you'd learn that the exact product in question was Abena Abri-Flex, which can only be ordered online. I'm not expecting to find any quality product for adults in a store. My beef is that a non-goofy-looking adult pull-up does not exist. Not even online.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins2011 View Post
    If you read my post, you'd learn that the exact product in question was Abena Abri-Flex, which can only be ordered online. I'm not expecting to find any quality product for adults in a store. My beef is that a non-goofy-looking adult pull-up does not exist. Not even online.
    Understood. But even online, stores have to keep stock of things. That's how the manufacturers make money. And when the market is small, stores don't want variety, because they have no hope of selling it all. The only reason there are so many sizes of baby diapers these days is because the market is enormous.

LL

It's most likely that reliability and/or production costs limit their product lines. While it might be possible to produce pull-ups with goodnites style waistbands most customers probably wouldn't care since I would imagine that they are using them for the functionality not the cosmetics.

On a slightly unrelated note I would be very interested in market research for the colored depends compared to the generic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    It's most likely that reliability and/or production costs limit their product lines. While it might be possible to produce pull-ups with goodnites style waistbands most customers probably wouldn't care since I would imagine that they are using them for the functionality not the cosmetics.

On a slightly unrelated note I would be very interested in market research for the colored depends compared to the generic ones.
    kwis, i believe they just made all depends that are pullups this yellowish colour now, plus they still have the colored one that come in packages like underwear