Thread: Good news and bad news? Daytime is better, night-time is downhill.... Wth? (antidepressant effects?)

Default Good news and bad news? Daytime is better, night-time is downhill.... Wth? (antidepressant effects?)

Okay, so there's been quite a lot of changes recently... I for the longest time had felt I was slowly getting "better" in the daytime... Well I'm on and off different anti-depressants and stuff in the last few months. Anyway, a few weeks ago I stopped one, and my daytime dribbling issues nearly went away completely! And I had to start a different one... Ironically, my bedwetting went downhill in the process though. Then some unrelated medical issues happened and I had to stop the prescription for a few days (told by the nurse-practitioner) so the doctor could go over things first, since my NP told me to. And then the bedwetting went back to normal... Then I talked to my doctor (the one who prescribed the anti-depressants) and they told me to just take a half dose instead....and back to the bedwetting again. But I'm pretty sure I know why...it makes you damn near unconscious when you go to sleep. I seem to find it easier to go with this prescription too, which itself is good since usually the dribbling happens when I can't entirely go, and would normally have trouble starting and feeling it. Now I feel stronger urges to go and I can when I need to. But having a bigger urge to go at night and not being able to wake up normally very easily, and now with the medication essentially sedating me... Well I guess it's a trade-off. Just an interesting side-effect, but I've done some searches on it, and apparently it's common to wet the bed and/or more often when you're on it - even if you'd never in your life! Either way, it's good news for me though, because it means I'm doing so much better during the day, it's awesome! And it's not like anyone ever sees me at night, lol... but still, won't be able to visit family anytime soon... Anyone else have something like that go on for them? Just wanted to say this somewhere, because this isn't something I'd share outside here, even if it's mostly good news.

Your post sure rang bells for me - I have a different range of medications and have to manage taking them very carefully so as to avoid complications and unwanted side effects. I am glad you are feeling it's good news and that you have got increased understanding of what is happening. You are right - for choice it is much preferable to be better during the day. I think we have to be careful about keeping IC issues in their right place - it is much more important to get the things that can kill you right and IC has a bad name, but is basically a manageable condition we can come to terms with.

Quote Originally Posted by dayannight View Post
    Your post sure rang bells for me - I have a different range of medications and have to manage taking them very carefully so as to avoid complications and unwanted side effects. I am glad you are feeling it's good news and that you have got increased understanding of what is happening. You are right - for choice it is much preferable to be better during the day. I think we have to be careful about keeping IC issues in their right place - it is much more important to get the things that can kill you right and IC has a bad name, but is basically a manageable condition we can come to terms with.
    Yeah... every time a prescription changes ... unfortunately the side effects seem to be worse than the condition itself most times... In this case, unfortunately there were other complications with the current medication... so off that - we'll have to see how my bladder acts now. Could it have been the original medication making this problem worse or whatever or just this latest one making me "better" (during the day at least) ... I don't know, but I'll find out soon enough... The bedwetting is so damn unpredictable normally too... so who knows, maybe I just had a really bad week or so?

I sympathise - we all want to understand more about our condition and causes - but it seems to me that only a very few people can actually achieve a real sense of certainty about what is happening to thier bladder/bowels. I have a rough idea of what causes my IC but that does not mean it is predictable and there are changes from month to month - or sometimes week to week* that keep me perplexed. Second guessing doesn't help much and all I can do is keep on taking the tablets/wea a diaper and manage as best as I can. People advise "taking the rough with the smooth" but that only feels like good advice during the smooth times! When things are bad depression (not in a clinical sense necessarily) tends to take over. A favorite aunt of mine had an attitude that was the opposite of my parents paranoia about wet beds - on visits she said "there are always fresh sheets in the airing cupboard - just change the bed and don't worry". We have to cope with what life hands us but there is no need to feel bad about things outside our control.

Hope you are in for a good week or more now!

*maybe even day to day

What antidepressants cause incontinence? I would like to avoid that one if at all possible.

I sympathise - we all want to understand more about our condition and causes - but it seems to me that only a very few people can actually achieve a real sense of certainty about what is happening to thier bladder/bowels. I have a rough idea of what causes my IC but that does not mean it is predictable and there are changes from month to month - or sometimes week to week* that keep me perplexed. Second guessing doesn't help much and all I can do is keep on taking the tablets/wea a diaper and manage as best as I can. People advise "taking the rough with the smooth" but that only feels like good advice during the smooth times! When things are bad depression (not in a clinical sense necessarily) tends to take over. A favorite aunt of mine had an attitude that was the opposite of my parents paranoia about wet beds - on visits she said "there are always fresh sheets in the airing cupboard - just change the bed and don't worry". We have to cope with what life hands us but there is no need to feel bad about things outside our control.

Hope you are in for a good week or more now!

*maybe even day to day
    Yeah well couple that normal depressed sadness with unnatural chemical depression that I apparently have... and it makes it all that much worse. I like that your aunt has such a positive attitude...Maybe she was also sympathetic in some way or had to deal with a family member in a similar situation? And I know I can't help it, but it's irrelevant - there's so much stigma attached to it. And the fact that I'm an AB makes the inner conflict worse - because although it's unrelated, it conflicts with what I feel about my solutions...like somehow even though I need something especially when I sleep, that somehow would I be making a different choice in solution for it if I wasn't, and that somehow that means I'm not entitled to go the diaper route.... (even if it's the more convenient option, because then that's irrelevant because what would I have done otherwise?)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterPython View Post
    What antidepressants cause incontinence? I would like to avoid that one if at all possible.
    I don't remember the other one, because I've been on about a half dozen now, but the last one I was on (which I'm once again not now) - the one I referred in the above post where I was "better" after but that I did see an increase in bedwetting, was Quetiapine ... which is known for it's sedative effects at lower doses and for throwing off blood sugar, which in some cases increases urination...Likely the combination that led to the bedwetting increase imo.

Also know that I already have problems, even before the medications. I was just wondering if there was some serious increase in the issues that was caused by the medications.

I tried to look at research about side issues of drugs once - it wasn't very serious or scientific and the publicly available information was so hedged about with "possibly's" and "can in some circumstances" or "is reported by a monority's" that i gave up. I am not sure if this has been mentioned before but if you keep a diary over a fairly long period noting what drugs you are taking, if you miss any and how your body feels including a record of IC happenings - you might be able to answer your own question.. be careful though this can get a bit obsessive (like taking down car number plate numbers) and you have to ask yourself if the effort is really worth it.

I think it is important that you maintain control of your life and don't get hung up or feel guilty - you are entitled to cope in whatever way you feel most comfortable with, even althouhg your way might be different to some other people's. There is no ideal solution to IC issues - and although diapers are convenient that can also be uncomfortable and impose social limitations. I suspect a lot of diaper wearers sometimes feel like leaving them off and coping with the extra laundry because it is good to be free of the padded bum feeling once in a while.

I tried to look at research about side issues of drugs once - it wasn't very serious or scientific and the publicly available information was so hedged about with "possibly's" and "can in some circumstances" or "is reported by a monority's" that i gave up. I am not sure if this has been mentioned before but if you keep a diary over a fairly long period noting what drugs you are taking, if you miss any and how your body feels including a record of IC happenings - you might be able to answer your own question.. be careful though this can get a bit obsessive (like taking down car number plate numbers) and you have to ask yourself if the effort is really worth it.
    Yeah... well I've already been to a urologist, even if I tracked and recorded everything, it's not like I would be collecting it for anyone but myself... And I'd probably not be very committed to months of daily tracking... Sometimes I barely want to get up to eat, let alone write down every incident I have issues and what medications, and if I took them, and yaddah yaddah yaddah... It would be burdensome and still give no absolute idea - maybe some general triggers for it, but I think that would be all... But I can already guess and speculate with it as is... so ya...

I think it is important that you maintain control of your life and don't get hung up or feel guilty - you are entitled to cope in whatever way you feel most comfortable with, even althouhg your way might be different to some other people's. There is no ideal solution to IC issues - and although diapers are convenient that can also be uncomfortable and impose social limitations. I suspect a lot of diaper wearers sometimes feel like leaving them off and coping with the extra laundry because it is good to be free of the padded bum feeling once in a while.
    Well...either way, it does give me inner conflict - it's not like I can just "shut that off".... And part of the problem with diapers is, I could actually get them paid for as well for the legitimate problem....But the inner conflict and the conflict it may have at the doctor's and just the sheer thought of explaining anything, does prevent me from pursuing that. I can't afford to continue to wear diapers like I did, whether I need to or not, so I'd have to get them paid for... But just another notch and reason why I won't go get the form filled out, is partly because of my AB-conflict.... So you see, this makes it 10x worse...

BabyKat said: "So you see, this makes it 10x worse..."

I think I might be making it worse as well so won't say any more at the moment.

Best wishes and good luck in fainding a way forward.

BabyKat said: "So you see, this makes it 10x worse..."

I think I might be making it worse as well so won't say any more at the moment.

Best wishes and good luck in fainding a way forward.
    No, you aren't making it worse... my inner conflict was, that's all I was saying... Please don't misunderstand...