Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should you tell Friends or family???

Default Should you tell Friends or family???

Hi folks,

I know there are similar topics about telling your friends or family but I feel a lot of them do not address the question of, should you tell your friends or family? From a DL point of view.

My argument being that if diapers are a turn on for you do you really feel it necessary to tell family or friends what turns you on? I present this to the forum for debate.

The only reason one should share that they are into diapers is to avoid being caught, or as a result of being caught. I was 18 when I came out and told my mom, my reasoning was that I know I would not be able to hide it ffrom her, and would rather her know when it was on my terms, and not after being caught.

Telling somebody about your diapers in hopes that they will join in, is not a good idea. I have confided in a few friends, one because i was needing to get some sewing done, and another because we were having an in-depth talk about things and I let it slip.

Friends and family... I'm not sure about that (can't say I'm able from a DL-point of view since I'm not) but with relationships - deffinitely yes. Being hones is, in my opinion, the most important thing in a relationship. The other one might find it strange, but that doesn't mean they'll automatically run away. People do need time to get used to it, just like you yourself need to get used to it I guess.
    But in my opinion friends and family is a whole other thing. Sad enough the world isn't so openminded about everything... You really need to figure out if you can trust people before you tell it I guess. Family... they should support you whatever, but not every family is like that. Depends on your relationship with them. I can't imagine telling my parents something like that if I had it, since they're narrowminded and I don't have that good of a band with them. My brother on the other side is very, very open minded. So I guess it really depends on the person and your relationship with them.

I think I agree with SmashingHeadphones about honesty being the most important thing in relationships - but that does not neccesarily mean telling others everything about yourself - some things need to be kept private and it is in no ones best interest for them to be revealed. The circumstances of the relationship matter as well - we don't choose our parents but most often have to maintain a good working relationship at the very least with them. As we grow older we move from a position of dependence and "being looked after" to one of independence and self sufficiency. That "journey" is often marked by conflict and rebellion (I know, I'm a parent of grown-up children and find it hard to do what they tell me!). Often fairly trivial things get blown up out of proportion because there is an "argument waiting to happen" and looking for something to fasten itself onto. In these circumstances it isn't helpful to reveal personal things (like being AB/DL) because the disclosure won't be taken in good part, but is likely to be used as ammunition against you.

The difficultities are not only about people not being open-minded, but about an often complex interplay of emotional factors that can lead to seeming abusrdities like a mum not wanting her "precious little boy to be wearing those nasty diapers" even although he is 16 and exploring a part of his personality/sexuality that she would in her heart of hearts preferred him not to have developed for another year or two.

I'd like to tell my parents/brother just so I don't have to hide it so much, but I'm not sure how they would react - worried it could cause more problems than it solves...

If your young it's not advised to tell your parent's they could take it well, but you never know, if it goes wrong it's wrecking your whole teenager life, if you get caught, then tell them, but not in any other case.

I don't think you should tell family unless you get caught. What turns you on is your business and wont really add anything to your relationship.

With friends I think it depends on them. If they are likely to understand and support you, go for it. It's nice to have someone IRL that you can talk to. However if you have no idea how they will react I would advise against it. It could ruin your friendship and if they are really freaked out they might tell others which can cause a lot of trouble for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChriscoStick View Post
    I don't think you should tell family unless you get caught. What turns you on is your business and wont really add anything to your relationship.

With friends I think it depends on them. If they are likely to understand and support you, go for it. It's nice to have someone IRL that you can talk to. However if you have no idea how they will react I would advise against it. It could ruin your friendship and if they are really freaked out they might tell others which can cause a lot of trouble for you.
    I have to completely agree with Chris, if I hadn't told him he wouldn't be on this site right now! :p

Anyways, I don't think it is necessary for my parents to know what my Daddy and I so behind closed doors. It's kinda of like if I sat my parents down and told them I like rough sex. It is simply unnecessary. On the other hand I also wouldn't want my parents telling me they have a leather fetish. This includes any family member for that matter. As for friends I think it depends on the kind of friend you have. For example the only people I told about my kinks were people that I knew were already into BDSM. Because of this I knew they would be much more likely to be accepting and they were already in a similar awkward boat with whatever fetishes they had.

Tell your friends if your brave enough to take the heat~
    personally I'm avoiding the subject matter until my roommate brings it up~
    A fetish is a fetish no matter how you look at it. You don't go to your parents and go, "mom, what do you think about my dildo? Should I use another dildo in it's place?"
    at least for me it's a fetish lifestyle~
    do ho ho i need to ask my mother about dildos now. Excuse me.

i told my parents after getting caught trying to meet up with another dl (my mom intercepted some of the messages we had been sending to each other) and it was helpful because they found me a therapist to talk to which helps, but it's also incredibly awkward when they wanna talk about 'internet safety' or my 'simba fetish' >.< they don't completely understand it, but it hasn't damaged my relationship with them and for that i am extremely thankful! as for telling friends, i wouldn't do it, but if you might feel comfortable go for it, because a true friend wouldn't judge you for a fetish you didn't ask for