Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder/Cream/Oil/Lotion - Confusion

Default Powder/Cream/Oil/Lotion - Confusion

Hi all

Loving the forum so far - time for my first question I think.

Since I got hold of some real diapers I've effectively been wearing 24/7 (with the exception of work) for both wetting and messing. I'm a bit confusion as to what I'm supposed to do with regards to powder, cream(s), oil(s) and lotions. What are you supposed to use and when/where? And then there is baby soap/shampoo/etc...

At the moment I'm using 'nappy cream' at each change alongside baby powder. Is this the right approach? Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Thanks

I rarely use any products at all.

If I change more than once and don't need to shower to wash off, I'll use powder to absorb excess moisture.

Oranges

Cherub

well, my own personal rule of thumb is this:
    If I am going to be in a diaper for an extended period of time, I will typically use a diaper rash prevention cream. I like Desitin creamy (NOT the original,,the original Desitin STINKS!!!) that will create a barrier to help prevent diaper rash.
    If I am going to be in a diaper for a relatively short period of time, say (3-5 hours) I will typically go ahead and just use baby powder and nothing else.
    My reasoning behind my rule of this is:
    If I wear for 5 hours or less, baby powder should be enough to keep the inside of the diaper as dry as possible. If a diaper is worn more than 5 hours, then baby powder alone might not be sufficient in controlling excess moisture, eventually the inside of the diaper could become damp (which could irritate skin) so a barrier (diaper rash prevention cream) should be used. Just my own rule of thumb I use.

Thanks for the feedback, will look into what's available and see how everything stacks up.

Powder will ease the chafing but it's not going to mean much for most diaper rash. Further it gets everywhere and makes the tapes not stick.

A barrier cream (anything from straight vaseline up to A+D or dessitan will prevent and also treat a rash.
    I don't like Desitan because it's smelly and really oily though it stays a long time.
    I use Dr. Boudreaux's butt paste, the regular formula is ZnO and vaseline. They have a new "All Natural" formulation that I've just started trying as well.

My rule is if I am wearing a more absorbent diaper that I will be in for a while I use vasaliene then powder. If it is a less absorbent diaper I will just use powder.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    Powder will ease the chafing but it's not going to mean much for most diaper rash. Further it gets everywhere and makes the tapes not stick.

A barrier cream (anything from straight vaseline up to A+D or dessitan will prevent and also treat a rash.
    I don't like Desitan because it's smelly and really oily though it stays a long time.
    I use Dr. Boudreaux's butt paste, the regular formula is ZnO and vaseline. They have a new "All Natural" formulation that I've just started trying as well.
    i've heard of that stuff even outside of the ab/dl community. it seems to be pretty good

I use baby powder but that's only b/c i also wear latex & rubber attire...works well.

I discovered the hard way that getting baby oil on the leg gathers of some diapers (even the high quality ones) will cause them to literally fall apart at the seams. Use with caution or not at all.

I don't use lotion. For extended wearing (say over 6 hours, aka overnight) I'll wear Desitin, creamy or original--I've gotten used to the smell of the original, despite the fact that it is made with cod liver oil. Yech. It is thicker and seems to work better than the better-smelling creamy version because it doesn't wear off as easily.

I always sprinkle powder in the diaper, whether using cream or not.

A lot of this is personal preference and what works best to keep your skin type rash-free.

Great feedback all, thanks again. I'll try a few combinations and try to find out what works best