Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Justified?

Default Justified?

There's this girl at school that has claimed she's an atheist and she goes around and protests religious services in school and says that religion is dumb and God is a figment of our imagination. The school actually agrees with her because the staff is mainly anti-religion. So there is nothing Christians can do to stop her. But my question is, do you think her actions of protesting religions in the school and people because of their beliefs? And this is such a big deal I wouldn't doubt it will end up on CNN or Good Morning America or something like that.

I do NOT need bashing of people or beliefs, I want opinions and opinions only.

....Would you be making this thread if you felt Christians protesting was unjustified?

I only ask because, I think once you answer that question we can know if you are being biased. If anything it sounds like you are upset that she is "getting away" with this. Sure it's may be down right offensive, but people protest everyday. What are going to do? Protest the protesters?

It's her right to protest. You don't like her doing so, move.

Nevertheless, to answer your question, yes, I think she has the right to protest (if that is what she's doing), but I may not agree with her methods. If it bothers you so much, find some friends and outnumber her with a bigger protest. It is your right too, after all.

A possible way to shut her up is to cite freedom of religion in both the first amendment (freedom to practice), and the fourteenth (which prohibits discrimination). 'Course most people who are deeply engrossed into bashing religion won't listen to you anyways; and may instead yell at you louder.

To play the opposite side of the argument... would it be OK for a student to walk around and say that all Atheist are going to hell and that you are a fool if you do not believe in God. While technically the same argument can be made... "Freedom of Speech, right to protest, etc. etc." I can almost garantee the school administration would step in and say that that student is doing something wrong.

Students should not try to force their beliefs on other students regardless of what those beliefs are. It they want to have an after-school Atheist club, all power to them. But they should not be allowed to make others feel uncomfortable in the hallways during school... (same goes for the over-zealous Christians). That is not freedom of speech/protest. That is bullying. And most schools have rules against such.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    ....Would you be making this thread if you felt Christians protesting was unjustified?

I only ask because, I think once you answer that question we can know if you are being biased. If anything it sounds like you are upset that she is "getting away" with this. Sure it's may be down right offensive, but people protest everyday. What are going to do? Protest the protesters?
    I'm with Mandy on this one.
    To be frank, I'm not at all religious either and I find it quite offensive when Christianity, Islam, or Scientology (not that I count them as a religion) "promoters" (for want of a better name for them, also these are three groups who have actually done this to me recently) jump out in front of me in shopping centres and insist I have to join their group because they're the only ones who are right and everyone else is wrong!

I understand how you are feeling about this. When I was in high school I was forced to turn my shirt inside out and another christian was sent home because he refused to turn his shirt inside out. My shirt said "There are no parties in hell, just one big barbecue and you don't want to be invited". I was told that it was inappropriate because of the profane language even though I had seen many other shirts with shit, damn and hell on them that weren't religious and no teacher ever said anything about them. Also it was the mid 90's so the "Big Johnson" and other sexual innuendo shirts were running rampant in my school.

The other student was wearing a shirt with a picture of Jesus bleeding on the cross. They said that it depicted graphical violence because of the blood. I'm sure that most of you have seen this type of shirt and know that it is tame compared to the death metal and headbanger shirts that were out at that time.

We weren't the only ones. It almost became a badge of honor at the christian club after school if your shirt was inside out. While the school did offer the club it was in the mindset of "out of sight, out of mind"

Quote Originally Posted by mattmatt95 View Post
    There's this girl at school that has claimed she's an atheist and she goes around and protests religious services in school and says that religion is dumb and God is a figment of our imagination. The school actually agrees with her because the staff is mainly anti-religion. So there is nothing Christians can do to stop her. But my question is, do you think her actions of protesting religions in the school and people because of their beliefs? And this is such a big deal I wouldn't doubt it will end up on CNN or Good Morning America or something like that.

I do NOT need bashing of people or beliefs, I want opinions and opinions only.
    I guess it depends on the context. If this is a college or university, that's one thing, public high school would be an entirely different matter.

University: Kids are trying all kinds of things on for size. Protests of this sort are generally lame and annoying, but common. When you're 18 or 20 and discover a new concept, it can be like a 5 year old with a new toy. Its instantly the most important thing in the universe so you run around proudly showing it off.

Public high school: Questionable at best, as are the "religious services". IMHO, high school should be like a family gathering. Talking about politics or religion in that setting is looking for trouble.

Addendum: When I was in college, the Vietnam War was in full swing, as were antiwar protests. I always thought protests and building takeovers on campus were silly and self indulgent. I mean, the school has no control over U.S. foreign policy, so what's the point of disrupting the institution? Its like marching in front of the local Ford dealer to protest the price of milk.

If they wanted to get someones attention, I thought they should go to the source and protest in front of the Pentagon or the White House or something. I guess that was too inconvenient, expensive, and took too much balls.
    Last edited by Maxx; 20-Sep-2011 at 20:29.

My opinion, the student is just being rude and tacky looking for attention or doesn't want to go to school there. Since this is a school with religious services I assume it is a private school. This is really an issue for the school and students parents to work out. The school doesn't have to let her attend. If the student is incapable of showing respect for other religious beliefs, or the parents are incapable of controlling the student (if a minor) they shouldn't allow her to attend.

This is not a "Free Speech" issue. She is in the school by someones choice. You don't join an organization to protest it. It's bad form. I would tell the school admin you are offended by her behavior and you find it inappropriate and request their help. It's not like there is a lot going on in T'ville these days....

Alternatively, you can tell the student there is a nice spot in front of the Wal-Mart on 95 where she can tell a whole more people about her beliefs.

Wind her up and point her at Westborough Baptist...

Seriously, it comes with the territory: there will always be some who have an attitude towards organised religion. To be honest, as a long-time church member there are times when we deserve it. The simple response is to treat her with respect, give her a listening ear. you may well find that if she gets a fair hearing and doesn't feel threatened she will respect you enough to let your beliefs pass.

I knew a guy who came to university as a red-hot atheist, and by the time he started year 2 he was looking seriously at Christianity. It can be done...

Hugs (and prayers, because you are going to need a lot of patience, gentleness, self-control and love)

Artie