Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any drumming DLs out there?

Default Any drumming DLs out there?

I love drums. I also love conversations pertaining to drums.

Idols are Danny Carey and Tomas Haake. What are yours?

I play the drums too! My friend plays the bass and we sort of have a drum-n-bass improv band lol. My favorite drummer is Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Jason Rullo from Symphony X, Nicholas Barker from Dimmu Borgir, and Bobby Jarzombek from Demons and Wizards. They all have very intricate, but i think tasteful ornamentation to their drumming incorporating syncopation, odd timing, and very impressive fills along with speed gives these three the traits I so often try to emulate myself. They also make for great practice because of the timing and precise coordination required. You can get it all with these guys.

I have to ask this, no offence in anyway, but do you acually play the drums or are you one of those who *thinks* they can play the drums?

I only ask because Im in Jazz Band, and we acually have GOOD drummers in there. Then of course theres every Wanabe Pop star who Thinks they can drum and says they do, but then you hear them play.

Yo!

My idol is the late Jimmy Sullivan, The Rev from Avenged Sevenfold.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    I have to ask this, no offence in anyway, but do you acually play the drums or are you one of those who *thinks* they can play the drums?

I only ask because Im in Jazz Band, and we acually have GOOD drummers in there. Then of course theres every Wanabe Pop star who Thinks they can drum and says they do, but then you hear them play.
    You're awfully young to be so arrogant about musicianship, is all I'm going to say.

To the OP:

I'm not a drummer, never managed to get all four appendages moving in synch with one another yet playing different things. Piano, keys, guitar, bass, and brass instruments are more up my alley. I do have all the respect in the world for great drumming, though. Some of my current favorites are Terry Bozzio (Zappa leads the list of a long pedigree) and Mike Mangini (new drummer for Dream Theater)

i'm not a drummer but my g/f is and she is amazing when she drums (grade 7 Distinction and shes taking her grade 8 tommorow), i myself am a guitarist with a grade 8 Distinction, i play guitar because i couldn't stay in time when doing 4/5 things at once (i seem to swing my playing without meaning to when i'm playing without music) but i am working on getting some basic drumming skills,

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    You're awfully young to be so arrogant about musicianship, is all I'm going to say.

To the OP:

I'm not a drummer, never managed to get all four appendages moving in synch with one another yet playing different things. Piano, keys, guitar, bass, and brass instruments are more up my alley. I do have all the respect in the world for great drumming, though. Some of my current favorites are Terry Bozzio (Zappa leads the list of a long pedigree) and Mike Mangini (new drummer for Dream Theater)
    If you think Im Arrogant online, Try Meeting me in person

Acually, I didnt Mean to come across that way. I have been musician for Years, and Despite my age I have ALOT of experiance playing, and seeing other people play. From This I have gathered that MOST people who think they can play drums, Sadly, Cannot, Which is were that first post came from.

Sorry if I have offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    If you think Im Arrogant online, Try Meeting me in person

Acually, I didnt Mean to come across that way. I have been musician for Years, and Despite my age I have ALOT of experiance playing, and seeing other people play. From This I have gathered that MOST people who think they can play drums, Sadly, Cannot, Which is were that first post came from.

Sorry if I have offended.
    I've been playing piano since I was 5 (appx 15 years before you were born) and guitar since I was 16 (appx 4 years before you were born). Doesn't give me the right to stare down my nose at people who aren't as far along in the learning curve on their given instrument as I am on mine.

i took lessons when i was younger, but could never afford drums (sticks are cheap, though )
    my grandad was drummer in a jazz group, so i guess that influenced things, but i really always wanted to learn piano. unfortunately for that, and many other things, i was told that my hands were too small......and we couldn't afford owt like that, anyway (amazing how things turn out for the best, isn't it?).

anyway, 'drumming' is now confined to finger drumming, tapping, flicking and banging all kinds of things, depending on whether or not i like the sound and feel of it.

thought you may enjoy this,

a flush on percussion

a minim of pebbles rolled from my bum,
    and played on the skin of an aqueous drum.
    i'd been gagging for ages to have a good poo,
    and i strained and grimaced as i sat on the loo.

i'd expected a big one, like a submarine,
    or a foul smelling mortar that'd take ages to clean.
    but, no. just some pebbles, small and round,
    that marched from arse with a rat-tat-tat-sound.