Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thumb Sucking

Default Thumb Sucking

I've come to a realization in these past few days of being on this site. Up until this point, AB has been mostly a mental experience for me. I've fantasized about regressing for as long as I can remember. I've been reading and writing age regression and AB stories most of my adult life. On two occasions(which spanned several days until I've ran out) I've worn diapers. The first were makeshift from baby diapers when I was 21. The second were store bought when I was 30. But I'm not sure if I want to count the second time because it was at the height of my alcoholism. I was so racked with guilt and conflicting emotions that I had to get plastered beforehand and the whole experience just wasn't that fun. In all that time I never really regressed, just wanted to.

Last night I decided to take the plunge in a small way. I've been in pain for the last two days because I pulled a groin muscle while lifting heavy furniture. Any movement and it flairs up, but if I am perfectly still I can barely feel it. As I laid on my side, I stuck my thumb in my mouth. At first I kept it in the center, but I know that I clench my teeth in my sleep so I moved it to the cheek that I was laying on. It was one of the most amazing things that I have ever experienced. I usually toss and turn, but while sucking my thumb I didn't move an inch.

With all that back story, here comes the question. Is there anything that I have to watch out for while sucking my thumb? I noticed that the back of my mouth near my throat became very dry while the front was very moist. And I woke up with only a little drool on my pillow.

---------- Post added 19-09-2011 at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was 17-09-2011 at 09:43 ----------

In the two days since I posted this I've sucked my thumb every night. I have been wanting to do it during the day but haven't because even when my father is laying down, he keeps the blinds open around the house and my neighbors are noisy.

I've been sucking my thumb my entire life. My teeth have never moved because of it. I suck my thumb day and night and the only thing I've come to notice as a side effect is my thumb becoming very dry afterward. It gets rough and cracked if I don't give use lotion frequently or give myself manicures on a regular basis. other than that (and I know everyone is different), there's not a whole lot that I'd advise you to look out for. In my experience, moving teeth are a myth. However, I may just be really lucky and have a mouth that adapted to thumb-sucking over the course of my development since I never stopped.

Generally, the concern about moving your teeth out of alignment, while it always has the potential to happen, it really only a problem for younger people. Youths and teens mostly. So I don't think it should cause any problems. Just be sure to wash your hands before you go to bed! You should look into getting a pacifier. They're absolutely GREAT as anyone with one will tell you.

read this last week:
    The high price of sucking my thumb until I was 31 | Mail Online

i only use dummies for my pictures, but i notice that my teeth do move (and ache) with use.....and i'm an old codger.
    your teeth, and the supporting jaw, will continue to adapt to however you use them, no matter how old you get.

I don't know if my advice is really worthy in this situation, since I have only sucked my thumb for about 2 years (excluding my toddler years) and I'm only 17. But Ill certainly try my best!

I noticed when I first started sucking my thumb, then stop (about 45 minuets later), my teeth would really ache - not badly, though it was noticeable - and so I would stop and take brief breaks between 'thumb-sucking-periods', that way my teeth were usually o.k.

I haven't noticed a 'move' in my teeth nor my jaw, though I'm by no means a dental professional, so I probably wouldn't notice it. I also haven't been to the dentist since I've started sucking my thumb again, that could be why....

I've no idea why, though by nature (naturally) I will suck my thumb when I'm asleep. It is a natural occurrence for me - no something done by choice, since when I wake up I have my thumb in my mouth and little dribble spots around my pillow, + my mum usually complains when she wakes me for college that I've been sucking my thumb, she is always calling me immature because of it - but I don't care! -

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about this. I think (I said THINK, not 'I KNOW FOR SURE!'), that excessive thumb-sucking can cause jaw/teeth movement, in which case you would probably need to see dental professional, though by excessive I mean literally 24/7 - all day, everyday. But from personal experience, I've noticed no MAJOR problems at all (with the exception of some jaw aching/tooth ache, which is always minor in my experience).

If your worried, then perhaps something to consider is using a pacifier (I do also use one - as well as suck my thumb - and it is pretty much the same experience). Other than that, I don't really know what to suggest!

Hope I helped in some way and I wish you luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CandiMcBride View Post
    I've been sucking my thumb my entire life. My teeth have never moved because of it. I suck my thumb day and night and the only thing I've come to notice as a side effect is my thumb becoming very dry afterward. It gets rough and cracked if I don't give use lotion frequently or give myself manicures on a regular basis. other than that (and I know everyone is different), there's not a whole lot that I'd advise you to look out for. In my experience, moving teeth are a myth. However, I may just be really lucky and have a mouth that adapted to thumb-sucking over the course of my development since I never stopped.
    You are being silly now. One case doesn't equal fact.

Do you wear any sort of dental retainer? I have a permanent retainer on my lower teeth. It is just a wire glued to my bottom four teeth. It keeps them in place, because teeth move.

Nothing is permanent.

Mine were ruined when I was a kid (IE 2 rounds of braces, retainers, supposed to have jaw surgery).. Now, It's fine. (my teeth are still ruined though)

Ruined how? From thumbsucking?

My permanent front four upper teeth came in fused. Two big rabbit chunks.

I have veneers over them now.

This is food for thought. I already have bad teeth from lack of upkeep. Aesthetic changes wouldn't bother me too much, but I'll probably try to stop at the first hint of pain. Perhaps I will get a pacifier when I buy diapers tomorrow. The reason why I wasn't planning to get one is because I'm trying to take it slow. I recognize that in the past I have gone through binge and purge cycles(that article on here really helped me).

It amazes me that I've never done this before.I probably did it as a baby but can't remember. I guess all my mental and cultural blockages never allowed thumb sucking as a possibility until now.