Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fur suiting

Default Fur suiting

So, i don't know if there are a whole lot of furs on Adisc who go Fur-suiting, so this might be better for FA, but oh well. So for you Fur-suiters out there, what was it like the first time you went? Also, did any of you go for your first time on your own, or do now? I have an interest in making a fur suite, but from my knowledge, there are no furs in Logan UT(or maybe i should check on FA), although there is a community in Salt Lake, but that is still far for me. Anyhow, if i were to make a fur suite, then i would have to go on my own most of the time. Which being in Utah would make it interesting too, those of you from Utah might agree that this state gets relatively secluded from seeing people in the open with hobbies/fetishes such as Fur's, AB/DL's, and everything else around. I think that this could be a good thing and a bad thing.
    For one: since people around might not know much about the Fur community, they might just take me as an entertainer and think nothing more of it (Although Logan doesn't seem to me like a big enough town to have random entertainers roaming around, oh well, we are now).
    On the other hand, since they wouldn't understand about the fur community, they might not understand why I would be out in a Fur suit, and why i enjoy it, so some people might miss-interpret, and build some sort of fear or suspicion of me.
    Well i hope some of you might have some good advice, i figure if going out to a park, event, or something on my own in a fur suit is a bad idea, i could always build a fur suit for Halloween, and wear it then, along with waiting to find another fur. (Unfortunately i don't suppose that i would have enough time or resources to make it for this Halloween though.)

I often go out fursuiting, but I live in the U.K and (perhaps) folk are more accepting of us *wierdo`s* than other countries are. I often go to furcons, E.F used to be great, in the U.K. I go to Confuzzled and meet old and new furiends. A fair few of my furry furiends are D/L and Babyfurs.

first fursuit outing was at MFF last year. I just go out solo unless I come across another suitter that wants to go run around, the idea of a handler is just silly to me.

Didn't realize i got a reply on this post.

Quote Originally Posted by portwolf View Post
    first fursuit outing was at MFF last year. I just go out solo unless I come across another suitter that wants to go run around, the idea of a handler is just silly to me.
    So you find that it is pretty fun to go out on your own?

I only gone suiting at cons.
    Might go out when not in cons but got no one that lives close enough. I wouldn't go out suiting alone cause it be to hard to do things with out having someone with you who is a non suiter to help look out for things and carry things for you.

I just got back from a con called Antheria.
    There was a boardwalk and a arcade there along the beach.
    All suiters got free tokens for games and rides from the arcades owner and he looks for seeing us next year too. I couldn't go like a few steps without someone wanting a pic or hug, but it was worth it that day.

Quote Originally Posted by StargazerBleu View Post
    I only gone suiting at cons.

I just got back from a con called Antheria.
    There was a boardwalk and a arcade there along the beach.
    All suiters got free tokens for games and rides from the arcades owner and he looks for seeing us next year too. I couldn't go like a few steps without someone wanting a pic or hug, but it was worth it that day.
    See, now that just sounds fun, that is why i want to do it. Thing is, i don't know of any cons near Logan Utah, although i do know of a small fur group in salt lake, still far enough out of the way though that it is a little inconvenient. Maybe if I made a fur suit and then wore it to parades and community events, then people would think it was totally natural, all except for staff at the events who would wonder, 'where did the giant Tiger come from?' On that subject, do you think they would give you a hard time for suiting on fair grounds, or would it be necessary to get permission?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    See, now that just sounds fun, that is why i want to do it. Thing is, i don't know of any cons near Logan Utah, although i do know of a small fur group in salt lake, still far enough out of the way though that it is a little inconvenient. Maybe if I made a fur suit and then wore it to parades and community events, then people would think it was totally natural, all except for staff at the events who would wonder, 'where did the giant Tiger come from?' On that subject, do you think they would give you a hard time for suiting on fair grounds, or would it be necessary to get permission?
    Yeah, I loved doing that. Just seeing people of all ages happy made me happy.
    I hope things like this will make people see that the fandom is not bad as most think it is.

As for the fairgrounds, I would try to contact them and ask. You wouldn't want to show up in suit unannounced.

Quote Originally Posted by portwolf View Post
    It's a good idea though, people are assholes, I have heard horror stories from people. Not to mention if you start to pass out from heat or something, it's good to have someone there to save you

As an experienced fursuiter I just wanted to throw in that handlers are there FOR YOUR SAFETY. Going out solo, unless you are in a 100% certified safe area is just asking for trouble. unless you are using an open faced fursuit (which imo are ugly at best) then your field of vision is going to be reduced to the width of a mailbox slot. A handler is there as your eyes and ears for everywhere your attention cant reach. What would you do if someone jumped on you from behind? Or more likely you backed up for some reason and fell on someones kid? *cough* lawsuit*cough*

On top of that there's the issue of someone to help you should you need it, i.e. get you out of suit fast if you have to, get people with ill intentions to back off, and in the event that you over stretch yourself and collapse, help get you out of suit before EMT's CUT you out.*

Rant aside, I first fursuited (in my own suit) at a now defunct con in london (RBW) back in 2008, I admit to not having my own handler but it was in a safe, fursuiter aware environment. 2nd day I spent the whole day suited (about 11 hours) Was much fun but very tiring and i had to de-head and rest regularly for drinks. That said, it was a real blast and I got to sit and chat with some more experienced suiters about techniques.

As for now, I've been out with other suiters, or when I'v been the only suiter but I make sure never to leave the suit up spot without someone I trust and who has experience either as a handler or a suiter themselves so they know the hazzards and what to look out for.

*I've seen it happen once on a suit that was more than 1.5K and less than a year old, not a happy sight.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    It's a good idea though, people are assholes, I have heard horror stories from people. Not to mention if you start to pass out from heat or something, it's good to have someone there to save you
    It might be a good idea to have a friend with you the first couple times you go out in suit, but at a con, if you are used to your suit there really is no need for a handler. People at cons know that fursuits are expensive, they know you are hot, and they know how to interact with you. Quite frankly, if you started to have an emergency in suit and couldn't make it to a headless lounge, you could stop -almost- anyone, and they would be willing to assist you, or find assistance for you.

Public fursuit events are a different story. Always have a handler with you there, at least 1 for every couple of suits. The general public has no idea how to interact with a suiter, and its nice to have ambassadors for the critters running around.