Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Identify Bad Points About Yourself

Post Identify Bad Points About Yourself

I recently got asked to describe bad points about myself - only to find that its actually alot harder than picking out a few good things to say.

Im guessing the same goes for alot of people - On a psychological level it must be easier to recognize your accomplishments and strengths as oppose to weaknesses. Possibly because we notice what we are good more because its reinforced with some kind of emotional reward.

So the point of the thread is to list 3 bad points about yourself. Im sure everyone has at least 3 bad things they could say - everyone here is human ( or furry! :3 ) after all!
    The 3 I came up with for myself took me a while to think about, but i tried to look at how i behave and act from another persons perspective. they are:

1. Im more than happy to sit and say nothing alot of the time - I guess this can make certain situations with people who dont know me that well quite awkward.
    2. Im ridiculously lazy - I try and put work off for as long as possible. Although i might have to change my ways soon otherwise things may get a bit stressful.
    3. I let things strain me emotionally - rather than talking about it to people ill just pretend to be happy (even if i find said happiness through intoxication). I then find myself boiling over and becoming reclusive for a few days.

So yeah, theres my 3 - I guess I could probably work on them now ive defined them

Anyways itll be interesting to see what the rest of Adisc has on their list.

Well, this certainly take some thinking about. But, since one of my better points is my ability to keep an open mind about anything, I will give it a shot.

1. I have a really hard time getting motivated to start doing something, such as an assignment for school. I'll happily put it off for as long as possible, and won't want to get started until someone else usually starts getting on my case about it.

2. I tend to not think a lot of things through before I say them, such as if someone pisses me off and all the usual responses filled with 4 letter words come into my head, I cannot keep my mouth shut, even though an hour or two later I wished I had.

3. I do not maintain my relationships with people very well, and as I live far from most of my family this is a bad thing. It does not take a great deal of effort to pick up the phone and call my mother to see how she is, or my friend to see what they're up to, but I tend to neglect these things. This is probably one of the things about myself I dislike the most. It has eventually led to loss of many friends I wish I still had and not speaking to family for months at a time.

1. I procrastinate so much to the point where even for my A-levels the majority of my revision was done night before/morning of.... not the greatest way to do well in life

2. I am over-critical when it comes to judging other people's beliefs and can often get aggravated when people can't see things from my point of view but there are times when I am guilty of not seeing things from theirs

3. I'm more self-centred than the average person - in almost all conversations I try to link things said to myself (even if I don't say it out loud I think about how it connects to me, as opposed to just listening)

There are more, but you asked for 3

1. I am overly self-critical. Anytime I do even the smallest thing wrong I beat myself up for it for hours or even days at a time. The funny thing is, I am very quick to forgive others, just not myself.

2. I miss out on many things in life because I don't put myself out there. Whether it be relationships or self improvement(such as going back to school) I defeat myself in my head before I even take the first step. An idiom that I constantly have to remind myself with is that the only sure fire way to lose is not to compete.

3. Low self-worth. I always have to fight off thoughts that others are "better" than me or more deserving of something. One particular vicious cycle that I've come to recognize and try to reject is this : Whenever I do something nice for someone else, either that person thanks me and/or he/she tells other people and they praise me for what I've done. Then the thoughts pour in about how I only did it for the praise and if those people saw the real me they would know how horrible and undeserving I truly am. If I am not constantly vigilant against these thoughts I come out of the situation feeling worse about myself than when it began.

This is a terrific exercise to do for yourself. When you recognize your flaws then you can take the steps needed to improve those aspects that need improvement. Thank you Squirtle for a wonderful thread.

Sounds like one of the "50 standard interview questions". Its kind of a trick question that you should never answer honestly. Try to come up with something that's actually a positive, or something that isn't a factor for the job at hand. However you answer it, do it quickly and don't dwell on it.

Personally, I have to fabricate an answer as I have no faults other than using diapers for fun, and I'm certainly not going to tell them about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Sounds like one of the "50 standard interview questions". Its kind of a trick question that you should never answer honestly. Try to come up with something that's actually a positive, or something that isn't a factor for the job at hand. However you answer it, do it quickly and don't dwell on it.

Personally, I have to fabricate an answer as I have no faults other than using diapers for fun, and I'm certainly not going to tell them about that!
    Yeah its similar to the interview question. Although im thinking more along the lines of what would your friends/family (if asked) define as your bad points.

If they ask you in an interview i think your supposed to come up with something cheesy like: "Im a perfectionist" :P
    Last edited by Squirtle; 15-Sep-2011 at 15:25.

1. I require a lot of peer approval - I'll use writing as an example. I feel like I suck or failed if I don't get positive feedback on my work. If I get no feedback at all I get resentful of the people that read my work.

2. I don't run my thoughts through a filter before voicing them - I have made a lot of people very angry/uncomfortable because I say whatever I'm thinking without considering that it might upset others.

3. I have trouble admitting that I'm wrong - I will go to great lengths to argue that I am right even if halfway through I realize that I'm wrong. I will continue fighting until the other party gives up.

This was hard, mostly because some of my really bad points would probably make me reviled by most. *shrug* That's just me requiring peer approval again. :P

This is an interesting thread, definitely.
    Though I have to say I disagree with your original premise.
    I, personally, could quite easily list twenty bad points, possibly more, about myself. It's certainly easier than listing any achievements or good points, for me.
    I'm ridiculously aware of my flaws.
    I can't think of the best (or should that be worst?) ones, so... Is it OK if I hold back til there's a thread asking for fifty?

alu

Its easy for some to point out there bad traits if they focus on them and not there good traits.I find it hard to find bad trait about myself but there are the ones that come to my head.

1. Extremely lazy, i don't get enough exercise any more.
    2. Shy and not confident enough
    3. I get jealous sometimes i guess

I probably have more but i can't think of any atm.

1) Abrasive
    2) i'm more than happy to sit and think for hours on end even when there is things to be done 3) i'm prone to daydream and 'slip' into Temujin when i need to be the mature me

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

1) Abrasive
    2) i'm more than happy to sit and think for hours on end even when there is things to be done 3) i'm prone to daydream and 'slip' into Temujin when i need to be the mature me