Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online College

Default Online College

Has anyone here gotten a degree from an online school? If so which one? Did You graduate? Did you learn good skills? How were the classes?

Any help is appreciated. I'm currently looking at Kaplan, Phoenix, Northcentral, and cal.

How many of those have a physical campus where you can take classes? Distance education is fine but not all schools are created equal. You want to make sure that your credits would transfer to another school if you chose to finish your degree somewhere else.

I know someone that got their BA mostly online from a school in Canada and later went on to get their masters in the UK.

It's extremely important to look for accreditation. There are two types of accreditation- Regional and National. It sounds backwards, but Regional is actually the better one. A degree from a school with national accreditation is next to worthless. Look up the wikipedia page of the school you're thinking about and search for the word "accreditation" to see which kind they have.

Also, look to see if the school is a for-profit enterprise. That's a bad sign.

I'm also going to echo MP's comment- look at traditional 4-year schools that have internet-based programs. I know Drexel has a number of them. Online programs from 4-year schools > online programs from University of Phoenix (and the like) >>>>>>>>>> nationally accredited schools.

As for tangible skills, I think that the idea of an online school is great, depending on the type of program and what you want to do. If you want to write and have a degree in English, great! If you want to be a doctor or engineer, you're not going to get there through online school.

awesome thread. ive been thinking of trying to get a degree also. any info would be great thanks

The advice I think applies to all questions about the kind of education you get is simply to look at what kind of job you want, in what area you want it, and then look at the kind of education they expect. Talk to people who work in your chosen field... they will probably know what educations fly and which don't. Even calling employers in your area is not out of the question. It's the most direct and useful way to get the information you want.. and you may even make some contacts that might help down the road.

You should ask how exams are done. It would be a good sign if they made you go into a college or university to write them. Or had quizzes over the phone.

This is just my opinion you understand but online college is a scam. Now this sounds harsh let me define what I mean. I found back during my undergraduate days that online courses required tremendous discipline. Typically there isn't a prof on your back and interacting with you answering questions or addressing concerns. I remember the one online course I ever tried to take the only contact I received from this guy despite repeated emails was an index card with my grade on it. I have heard from old friends of mine that tried University of Phoenix that they paid more for that degree then going to the local 4 year college and were generally shocked and horrified when they got the bill there were apparently many hidden fees. As far as Kaplan is concerned when I was looking into taking the GRE they had a class that they "recommended" for best results. The cost of this class was 1500 dollars.

Not being from Califiornia I can't speak with any knowledge on the others but I would just like to say that if it is an option for you to learn in a more traditional setting I would take it.

You know it's funny, my boss was hinting to me that I should consider doing a degree recently and I was looking at the OU a little!

I've also been doing a lot of online course from Microsoft recently, and I'd definitely agree with Ajax's comment - they require a lot of motivation and discipline.
    As to choosing a university to study with, as everyone's said reputation and accreditation are very important. For instance the OU have a excellent reputation and have been around for donkey's years - heck I remember them doing late night distance learning TV programs when I was a little kid!
    Also, I'd say be very wary of any places that say distance learning is as fast as actually attending University full time. Again, the OU are good in this respect and are very upfront about how long things takes. For instance they say a 4 year degree takes 6-7 years via part time distance learning.

Actually, the OU could be an option for you too as they offer courses globally...

Hope that helps

You can't get a remotely decent education online, and you will have a hell of a time finding a regionally accredited college that would provide enough courses for a degree so most people end up in online degree mills. They can make an ok supplement to an actual college course but think of it this way, past intro courses most degrees worth their salt will more or less require you to be at a physical place, either due to needing space, equipment, or actual interaction with living humans.

All the professors I have known also despise them. They take more time, provide worse results, and the average level of discourse is far lower.

The worst part is you won't even save yourself any money doing it online. Most of them are more than tuition is to a decent state school and far more than community college. Also consider what employers are going to think.

Quote Originally Posted by frillyfoxy View Post
    You can't get a remotely decent education online, and you will have a hell of a time finding a regionally accredited college that would provide enough courses for a degree so most people end up in online degree mills. They can make an ok supplement to an actual college course but think of it this way, past intro courses most degrees worth their salt will more or less require you to be at a physical place, either due to needing space, equipment, or actual interaction with living humans.

All the professors I have known also despise them. They take more time, provide worse results, and the average level of discourse is far lower.

The worst part is you won't even save yourself any money doing it online. Most of them are more than tuition is to a decent state school and far more than community college. Also consider what employers are going to think.
    I decided not to go. I did a lot of reading about the topic I'm trying to master and I think the best situation is for me to learn on my own.

Thanks everyone for the posts!