Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby paci's and adult paci's

Default baby paci's and adult paci's

So i have a pacifier, but it is one i got from a grocery store, anyhow. I've noticed that when I suck on it through the night it feels like it is pushing my teeth forward, which i suppose would do some damage if i kept at it consistently. Do adult paci's not have this problem, or is the fact that there is an object between your teeth just settle as a problem for the teeth. I would think that the adult paci's would be made for people who might have teeth. Are they easier on your teeth in any way?

The Adult Pacis appear to have the same forms as the baby ones, so I would guess that they push your teeth just as much as the little ones do. If you have a retainer, though, I wouldn't be concerned. Orthodontists reccomend that you wear one at night for the rest of your life to keep your teeth straight, and a retainer would nightly correct/mitigate any damaged caused by a paci, whatever its size.

Yeah, i don't have a retainer, maybe i should just not use my paci too much

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    I've noticed that when I suck on it through the night it feels like it is pushing my teeth forward, which i suppose would do some damage if i kept at it consistently. Do adult paci's not have this problem, or is the fact that there is an object between your teeth just settle as a problem for the teeth.
    The biggest problem I've experienced with baby pacis is that the stem between the bulb and shield is too short. I think this is what you're experiencing when you say it "feels like it's pushing your teeth forward". The adult pacis have a longer stem and allow more space for your gums and teeth between the bulb and shield. So, adult pacis are more comfortable.

However, I think it's natural for people to grind their teeth a bit in their sleep. It's how your body aligns your bite. A paci between your teeth will probably interfere with this.

I am not sure about the damage a paci would cause. Dentists discourage pacis in children who are developing teeth. So, I think it's fair to say that it could cause damage. But I wouldn't worry too much about that unless it makes you feel sore or you notice it causing some other problem.

I have an adult paci and 2 baby pacis and i think the baby ones are too small because the paci is too small for the mouth. the baby ones are made to contour to the baby's mouth so naturally our mouth is too big and the adult ones are made to contour to our mouths so a baby one can't be sucked on properly where as you can an adult so the baby ones can push your teeth outward and give you an over bite over time. personally i would only suck my adult one and i save my baby ones for when i really feel the need to teeth and bite on it like a baby would cause sometimes that calms me

Pacis are probably not so great for your teeth, when I sleep with one in (nuk 5) my teeth feel different. For me
    At least, I find Pacis are kinda addictive. After I have had one in for a night I want to keep using it as taking it out feels wired. I also find chewing a baby chew toy super soothing.

I actually sleep with a Nuk 5 every night to prevent grinding my teeth which is caused by the high dosage of Vyvanse that I have to take. If I dont use it I wake up with hurting teeth and jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by KitsBunny View Post
    The biggest problem I've experienced with baby pacis is that the stem between the bulb and shield is too short. I think this is what you're experiencing when you say it "feels like it's pushing your teeth forward". The adult pacis have a longer stem and allow more space for your gums and teeth between the bulb and shield. So, adult pacis are more comfortable.
    That makes sense, i think that might be half of the solution right there.

If I sleep with a paci in, I've noticed a slight difference as well. I wouldn't recommend doing it every night. I don't sleep with paci's all that often so I haven't noticed any long term effects but I would imagine that it could shift your teeth after a period of time.

Pacis will mess up your teeth but i cannot sleep without mine in my mouth cause it makes me feel more like a baby and helps me sleep better