Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Friend Requests...Yes, this is a rant...no it's NOT DRAMA!!!

Default Regarding Friend Requests...Yes, this is a rant...no it's NOT DRAMA!!!

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously or reading too much into it or whatever, but people I don't know/have never spoken with/sometimes haven't even seen them post in the forum have been 'adding me' as a 'friend'.

I realise that some 'newbies' think they need to be EVERYONE's friend, but I'm not a 'newbie' and I don't 'NEED' to be anyone's friend.

That said, I will continue to 'ignore' friend requests from people I don't know, as it seems to be the only way.

Anyone have suggestions on other ways to deal with this?

NOTE: I do not have my MSN/Yahoo/Google Talk/AOL/ICQ/IRC/other messenger listed in my profile because that's the way I like it. If we are established 'friends', I've probably already given you at least one of those. I prefer to chat on MSN or Yahoo than any other means. It's easier for me to chat one-on-one.

Oh 'n while I'm b*tching about stuff...what's with these 'profile comments'? I've had like 7 of them and only one was actually a comment on my profile. And why is it after I delete them it says "this message has been deleted" blah blah blah. Delete usually means DELETE...GONE...FOREVER...*sighs*

Okay, I'm done now!

*waits for the neg rep to come pouring in*

By profile comments, do you mean visitor messages? If so, then they aren't mean to comment on your profile...They are like things people use on MySpace/Facebook...Like a wall thing you post on for like, a belated conversation...I think it's funny how people always say things like "*waits for neg rep*" when what they said doesn't really have anything to be neg reppable...

OMG...that makes it even worse. I thought they were meant to be 'profile comments'...but now they're *gags* la facebook/myspace 'walls'....*shudders* That's ten times worse!

How is that worse? People are just trying to communicate with you...Why not just be more social and answer them?

It stays there as it's a soft delete and not a hard delete (don't think you even can do that with those) I think you can turn your visitor messages off IIRC but I'd have to look it up.

I just wait for the newbies to become members and see if they are any good. I can see what you mean. They don't no any better, too stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    It stays there as it's a soft delete and not a hard delete (don't think you even can do that with those) I think you can turn your visitor messages off IIRC but I'd have to look it up.

You can turn them off...Just go to edit details or options or something, and there is a box you can check to turn them off, or at least set it so only friends can leave them

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    How is that worse? People are just trying to communicate with you...Why not just be more social and answer them?
    Because if I WANTED to talk to those people I would already have made some sort of overture....but I really don't want to be bothered by it all. Sooooooooo....I ignore quite a number of "friend requests" as these people are not my friends (if I don't know you/have never spoken to you/haven't even seen you post in the forum, how can you be my 'friend'?)...and...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I found it! Thanks, Marty! I turned off the message thing....it's freaking annoying! (to me anyway)

I think you are taking this "friend" thing a little too seriously...I can understand what you're saying, but it sounds like you only want to be friends with people that you can truly be friends with...Like in the sense of real life friends that you talk and hang out with, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    I think you are taking this "friend" thing a little too seriously...I can understand what you're saying, but it sounds like you only want to be friends with people that you can truly be friends with...Like in the sense of real life friends that you talk and hang out with, etc
    You have me totally wrong, actually what I'm saying is I don't want to have people thinking I'm 'friends' with people I don't know, who are either newbs or non-active in the forum (at least the threads I've read), and who only want to be 'friends' because they think it's 'cool' to be friends with everyone bringing the whole myspace/facebook bs into ADISC even further.

I'm not 'friends' with everyone in the world, nor do I wish to be!