Thread: Ear Gauges

Default Ear Gauges

So, I'm thinking of taking out my ear gauges. The sizes are 0 and 4. I really like them, but I feel if i keep them, I won't be able to find someone or get a job :/ IDK what I should do. I love them, but as I said, I'm scared about the future.... Any suggestions?

Well im in a similar position as you, i thought about the same thing for a while, although i think they're becoming a lot more accepted now. i have both ears at 12mm (sometimes puts 10mm ones in)
    I dont think Many employers mind that much about piercings, you will have to comply with their health and safety regulations though, this might mean you cant have tunnels in and have to put flesh coloured plugs in whilst at work.
    To be honest if an employer overlooks your potential to do well at a job because of a couple of holes in your ears then I, personally wouldnt want to work for them anyway.

Supersam1223

Employers don't really care, to be honest. My cousin works in a school, and he's covered in tattoos and has many piercings (including gauges, I don't know how big but I'd say they're at least 15mm) in various places.

The only places I can think of it being a problem is in an entertainment company, working on like a high end cruise ship or something. Or on the shop floor of a department store, or something of the like.

Quote Originally Posted by supersam1223 View Post
    Employers don't really care, to be honest. My cousin works in a school, and he's covered in tattoos and has many piercings (including gauges, I don't know how big but I'd say they're at least 15mm) in various places.

The only places I can think of it being a problem is in an entertainment company, working on like a high end cruise ship or something. Or on the shop floor of a department store, or something of the like.
    You can be a doctor, or a cop, or a firefighter with gauges, riddled in tattoos?

The kind of job you want makes some difference.

The biggest concerns to me would be:
    - whether you interact with the client/customers in a professional capacity as part of your job.
    - whether the clients/customers have a presence in your work area (i.e. are they touring people around the office on a regular basis)
    - whether there are health and safety concerns

While things are changing, we still live in a world where people expect "normal looking" professionals when they are doing business.

And of course you are going to have employers who will deny you the job on basis of appearance when it won't effect your capacity to do the job. Even if un-intentionally (it's well argued that initial impressions play a huge role .. and if the initial impression is "what the hell is up with that kid's ear", it's gonna hurt you).

I guess after all that babbling what I'm saying is, yes, it reduces your employability. There is no denying that. What it comes down to is priorities. If you like them and feel they are a big part of who you are, it might be worth a harder time finding a job.

Appearances do matter in the South. We have a teacher assistant at my school who has to wear band aids over her tattoos because the school does not accept them. It's something to think about.

If you plan on going to college, you still have time. I go to a large university, and a lot of people gauge their ears. I know at least three Engineering students actually. I forgot their names, but they exist. If anything, stay at a small size. I've heard you have to go down in sizes because they don't shrink if you just take them out.

Quote Originally Posted by supersam1223 View Post

Maybe in the UK you'd be able to get a job like that, but I can guarantee you such piercings, or tattoos, or similar things pretty much instantly guarantee you won't be hired to shovel shit, let alone work in any corporation. The Fortune 500 company I worked for specifically had prohibitions against such stuff in the dress code.