Thread: Rock music getting dull? and Electronic Music gaining popularity?

Default Rock music getting dull? and Electronic Music gaining popularity?

I used to be a huge Rocker back in the day, love a lot of rock. But lately I feel like the entire Genre has been getting stale. Most types of rock are meh and the best rock (what's considered the best 70's 80's) sounds all the same to me. I've found that I much rather prefer electronic music. Simply because in one song... you can have 50 different genres. An example of such would be the song in the link I've posted.
    Infected Mushroom-Muse Breaks RMX - YouTube

In that song I can see some semblance of hardcore with reague and some awesome female vocals. And the beat changes... I think I like the unpredictability of it all and the melding of different music in a single track. Obviously some Electronic music sucks and is generic but the true innovators are amazing. I went to Electric Daisy Carnival and had the time of my life and the music was amazing so many different genres melding into one song. With Rock music and pretty much all songs (or most anyways) You know there there will be an intro, verse1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, outro. It's very formulatic IMO very predictable. With electronic music while it does have structure it's less identifiable then other genres especially experimental electronic music a la Daedulus....

Just a topic of discussion.... so now discuss.

yeah, electronic music is definitely gaining a lot of popularity. probably due mostly to the fact that like you said, it can have so, so many different elements incorporated into it at once. it's amazing

I'll agree that very little good rock is being produced... but luckily we have lots of good stuff from as you said, the 70s and 80s.

Interestingly your criticism of rock is my criticism of electric music. It all sounds the same to me. That and I've always felt techno and all the other forms of it (electric music types are as bad as metal types when it comes to feeling the need to name every slight variation imo) just somehow lack feeling. Something about a skilled guitarist's personal touch on the music adds a lot to me. There's lots of songs where it's just standard generic rock music.. but there are a few where you can really feel the artist come through the music (and yes I know that sounds really lame.. ). For all it's technical merit, electric music always sounds dead and soulless to me.

I have a pretty wide taste in music, but I also find that I get sort of burned out on a genre sometimes. I found that to be the case with alot of rock as well. I think it's just that I want something totally different for a whilemore then that rock has gotten stale. I'm listening to alot of underground hiphop right now. Nothing like hardcore rap, but people speaking over beats. I like the stories that the artists can tell, and it's cool to get a different outlook sometimes. I know I'll be going back to rock at some point. We're just taking a break right now.

What you hear on the radio or at clubs really stinks. You have to discover better bands online. The radio in particular stinks. I hardly listen to the radio at all. Rock today is really simplified to the point a 10 year old could play it. There's hidden Jewels all over the internet. I'm more of a metalhead tho. I don't care to much for electronic music much.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    I'll agree that very little good rock is being produced... but luckily we have lots of good stuff from as you said, the 70s and 80s.

Interestingly your criticism of rock is my criticism of electric music. It all sounds the same to me. That and I've always felt techno and all the other forms of it (electric music types are as bad as metal types when it comes to feeling the need to name every slight variation imo) just somehow lack feeling. Something about a skilled guitarist's personal touch on the music adds a lot to me. There's lots of songs where it's just standard generic rock music.. but there are a few where you can really feel the artist come through the music (and yes I know that sounds really lame.. ). For all it's technical merit, electric music always sounds dead and soulless to me.
    I'm sorry but I really must disagree with you. I post exhibit a, YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

That performance is far from soulless and I find that electronic musicians are in fact much more talented then a traditional one, there song output is much greater and they are allowed total freedom. None of that band politics and shit interfering. In reality all a guitar is is an object that makes sound. You arrange these sounds to create music. Electronic musicians arent just limited to one instrument allowing for more soul and creativity to flow through their music. Just because the sound isn't organic doesn't mean there isn't a soul.

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    None of that band politics and shit interfering.
    That was kind of part of it. Some of the best music came from very disturbed people paired up with other disturbed people in groups that hated each other, mixed in with ridiculous amounts of money, drugs, and general excess. I kinda think that's the reason rock died. The lifestyle is attached to the genre fell out of vogue.

Just because the sound isn't organic doesn't mean there isn't a soul.
    It kinda does to me. The slight variations in just about everything you do on a guitar come through in the sound. When I play guitar my whole mind gets into it.. which directly connects to the way I play. It's that direct connection that to me gives guitar soul. If you watch a skilled guitarist's face expressions while he plays, and listen to the music, you can really see the direct link.

(I'd like to point out I'm only picking on guitar because I play guitar.. I'd say the same about any instrument that is played in real time).

Electric music to me lacks this direct connection. It's indirect. You think "that would sound good", set it up, then listen to it. Think "maybe more of this", set it up, listen again. Sometimes there is a real time component, but even then, you are generally turning something on or off.. any variation is programmed.

I'm sorry but I really must disagree with you. I post exhibit a, YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    Really didn't do much for me.

Obviously it's just going to come down to preference. I could post my favorite bit of classic rock and you could just as easily go "meh". Try not to take anything I'm saying here too seriously. It's impossible to have a definitive "which genre is better" debate because in the end technical merit has nothing on preference. Music preference is just one of those things that's more fun to debate in a pseudo-hostile manner, but at the end of the day everyone is going to have a gut preference.

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    I used to be a huge Rocker back in the day, love a lot of rock. But lately I feel like the entire Genre has been getting stale. Most types of rock are meh and the best rock (what's considered the best 70's 80's) sounds all the same to me. I've found that I much rather prefer electronic music. Simply because in one song... you can have 50 different genres. An example of such would be the song in the link I've posted.
    Infected Mushroom-Muse Breaks RMX - YouTube

In that song I can see some semblance of hardcore with reague and some awesome female vocals. And the beat changes... I think I like the unpredictability of it all and the melding of different music in a single track. Obviously some Electronic music sucks and is generic but the true innovators are amazing. I went to Electric Daisy Carnival and had the time of my life and the music was amazing so many different genres melding into one song. With Rock music and pretty much all songs (or most anyways) You know there there will be an intro, verse1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, outro. It's very formulatic IMO very predictable. With electronic music while it does have structure it's less identifiable then other genres especially experimental electronic music a la Daedulus....

Just a topic of discussion.... so now discuss.

dragsnick. I really like this I will have to find more.. THanks for posting this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtdl84 View Post
    dragsnick. I really like this I will have to find more.. THanks for posting this!!!
    Why thank you,what did you like about it exactly?

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mtdl84 View Post
    Why thank you,what did you like about it exactly?

o just the way it moves and the few lyrics that are in it