Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Is Going To Have....

Exclamation 2011 Is Going To Have....

So I recently read an article that 2011 is going to be the worst winter England has ever seen. Surpassing all other 'bad' winters, I've also heard various things from people on BBC News, also saying/predicting this year and next year we will have a chaotic winter.

Some people are even stating we are going to have a mini Ice Age! Which seems a little exaggerated in my opinion, though it is possible (or is it? lol). Whenever this subject comes up when engaging in conversation, the other person always states; "Yeah, I've heard this winter is going to be our worst." - or at least something along those lines, so it seems a lot of people think the same.

I remember last year was pretty bad in terms of snow/ice conditions (in the U.K anyway), so I'm dreading to think what this year will be like if they're saying it will be worse.

I feel sorry for those that drive and need to get to work. I know my mum kept complaining last year, she said it was terrible trying to drive on snow -I wouldn't know, I can't drive-.

Have you heard something similar to this? Do you think we will go into a mini Ice Age? Do you think this year and 2012 will be chaotic?

On a different not; I LOVE snow. It is so F.U.N!

I, personally, love it.
    Even as a driver.
    I feel connected to the season and really like the shorter daylight hours, the brooding weather and the air of anticipation for Christmas.

I haven't had chance to see any of these reports myself, but I'm always sceptical. The weather people are never exactly accurate and are prone to blowing things out of proportion. That said, I sincerely hope there is some truth in it... Parents always talk of the absurd snow they always had in their childhood - and my ex-boyfriend came from Finland - so... I wanna see what real snow looks like!

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanSuperman View Post
    I wanna see what real snow looks like!
    Be careful what you wish for. In the winter of 1990 we were without power for four days, the snowfall was so heavy. And I remember in 1996, hiking on the hills near my school as part of DOE practise - trudging through knee-high snow, to suddenly disappear into a six-foot drift! And this was only in South Derbyshire!

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. In the winter of 1990 we were without power for four days, the snowfall was so heavy. And I remember in 1996, hiking on the hills near my school as part of DOE practise - trudging through knee-high snow, to suddenly disappear into a six-foot drift! And this was only in South Derbyshire!
    I see your point!

Still sounds like an adventure, though!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFox View Post
    Have you heard something similar to this?
    Yup. Every year they say it's going to be bad or the worst in x amount of years. Even if they do get it right, nothing will be done to tackle the icy conditions like last year.. Rail will still close in "worst" areas, buses will be late or not be running at all cos there is no grit on the roads due to "lack of funding", airports will be delayed or cancelled.

If any other country can deal with it, why can't we?

Trust me, winter ain't fun because I live in Ohio and I have seen some really bad winters. It always sucks when the mercury goes below zero and I have to freeze my butt off and have to try bumming rides off of friends since I don't drive. Worst I ever saw it was -26 below zero back in 1994. The only good thing was they canceled school for four days in a row because of the sub-freezing temps.

Be careful what you wish for. It ain't fun.

WildThing121675

Yes, they do predict it will get worse periodically. Also, it was Metropolitan officials stating 2011-2012 will be 'severe', 'chaotic' & have put warnings in place, especially in Northern-England.

Each time we experience snow and icy conditions, England seems to come to a stand still. Nothing gets done! But then I suppose you could say we aren't exactly used to having bad winters (like, terrible winters; deep snow etc....), I just hope England is better prepared this year. Last year was quiet laughable! The pathway outside of my house was covered in thick, black ice and that's how I broke my wrist.

But I do like winter. The heat gives me headaches and I HATE sweating. Funny how I like winter, yet I'm a July baby.

Supersam1223

I love the snow! But 2 years ago me and my dad went Christmas shopping and took 10 hours (not including the 3 hours stuck ing the car park) to drive what is normally a 15 minute drive!

If it is as bad as foretold then we should get at least a week or two off school!

I heard there's going to be a hurricane in England :S a hurricane in England! But two years ago the winter weather was so bad that my school, which has been open since 1487, was closed for the first time ever!

Quote Originally Posted by XboxGamer123 View Post
    I heard there's going to be a hurricane in England :S a hurricane in England! But two years ago the winter weather was so bad that my school, which has been open since 1487, was closed for the first time ever!
    Not a hurricane, just a lot of wind and rain. The media has hyped it up a bit, at the moment it is a Cat 1 hurricane which is basically a tropical storm. So don't expect to see a twister any time soon.