Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do's and dont's: guidelines on fursuiting etiquette

Thumbs up Do's and dont's: guidelines on fursuiting etiquette

Newcomers like me, may wonder what's the best way to act while fursuiting. I tried to condense the do's and dont's of this thread, which is the basis of this guide.

General suiting:
    1. Do: Have a handler. This is a person that can help you in times of need. A handler is your eyes, ears, guide, and bodyguard. They keep troublesome people away, guide you to safety, and watch to make sure you do not get dehydrated. Handlers are particularly important for full suiters.
    2. Do: Have signals worked out beforehand with your handler. Know how to ask for help, say you are hot, say you cannot see.
    3. Do: Know where to get water and take your head off. Before suiting it is important to know where there is a semi private place to get water and to get some air for a few minutes so you can rest and rehydrate. Do not go more than an hour without water.
    4. Do: keep yourself clean. When you get out of suit, take a light shower and spray your suit. Wash your suit occasionally (see suit maintenance threads). You will get sweaty in suit, you will smell after getting out of suit. Do your best to stay clean so you do not get sick, get others sick, ruin your suit, smell like a trash barge while attending con.
    5. Do: Act and move around. It is entertaining when a person is active. Standing around in a suit is standing around in a suit, try to be entertaining. This can be silly and playful, or serious depending on the character, but even a serious character can act and be entertaining in its own way.
    6. Don’t: Just randomly approach anyone! Fursuits can be scary, some people don’t enjoy them. (...) If the person/group looks uncomfortable as you approach leave them alone. Do not chase anyone or interrupt other group events for attention. (...)
      If a person wants to approach you they will. The best thing to do is wave, offer a high five, or hold out your arms. If they want to interact they will, if they don’t move on.
    7. Don’t: wear a sex suit in public. A sex toy is a sex toy and belongs in the bedroom. A dressed up dildo is a dildo, and a murrsuit in shorts is still a sex toy. Keep it in the bedroom. If you want to fursuit out in public, get a different fursuit.
    8. Don’t: Remove your head in public. There is the cliché of “breaking the magic” but removing the head takes you from being a fun character to…a hot sweaty person in a suit.
    9. Don’t: Talk in suit, for the same as above. Both of these tend to be broken in certain circumstances. As Siddy mention, this is debatable since lot of suits have moving jaw. I guess it's up to the fursuiter to decide. Just be consistent. Either you choose to talk, or you don't.

At cons
    • Conferences are a safer place for suiting and general guidelines are broken here. People know the restrictions of suits. Some suiters will speak at cons, some will remove heads, ect…Remember not everything at a con will fly outside. The con is a safety bubble.

Outside the fandom-
    • Fursuiting outside the fandom can be rewarding and interesting, be it random outings, or for volunteer work. Outside the fandom requires more tact and better behavior in general as you are under the scrutiny of the public.
    • Let people approach you: as said in the general do’s and don’ts it is not okay to run up to people. If they want to play, they will approach you. You can wave and make yourself known, then let them come to you.
    • Don’t do anything lewd, rude, or generally disgusting. It’s a public place. If you’re not going to hump the shit out of a person without a mask on, don’t do it when you’re wearing a suit. Yes we shouldn’t be ashamed of sex and so on, but pick what you do in what place.
    • Seriously have a handler around and know where you are. This is way more important out in the world. People can be cruel, know how to escape.
    • Avoid animals. Some animals are pretty chill, others really don’t like a giant multicolor thing. Don’t think it’s adorable to go up to the doggy and play, then get your face bitten off.
    • Call ahead of time! If you are visiting a mall, call security and ask, if you are visiting a store, ask. You might think it’s cute and funny, but they see someone in a mask and baggy suit that could hold a gun or something. A bit of preparation goes a long way.
    • General advice: wear a jersey or something if you’ll be interacting with a lot of people, it means food, smears, whatever end up on the easier to wash jersey.

Fursuiting around children-
    • FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PICK UP OR HOLD CHILDREN!
      It isn’t worth it. It is never worth it. You don’t have the insurance if something happens. A cute picture isn’t worth paying till the end of creation because the kid squirmed and you dropped them.
    • Kneel so that you are at the kid’s level. They’ll treat you more friendly and will be less likely to be scared.
    • High fives are great, pawshakes are nice. If you hug a kid make sure it looks friendly to everyone else, be aware of where your hands are. It might be purely innocent but pictures can make things awkward.
    • Look down often. Fursuits don’t have good vision, your muzzle may block your few. Kids have a habit of being right in that blind spot. Stepping on kids generally makes them sad so just look down once in a while.
    • If a kid freaks out and is scared, make yourself smaller, look scared, act like they are something to be afraid of. LET THE KID APPROACH YOU. Do not try to go over and hug and make them feel better.

Interacting with a fursuiter-
      If you’re a non-suiter at a con there’s some things to be aware of.
    • Suiters have terrible vision. Many of them can only see a bit in front of them, they can not hear well, and there’s padding between them and what they can feel. Remember this when approaching a suiting. Approach from the front, wave and say hello to make sure they see you.
      If a suiter doesn’t respond, chances are they just didn’t see you, they aren’t trying to be bitchy and look down on you.
    • Don’t tackle/glomp/ jump on a suiter. It is scary as shit when this happens because 99% of the time they don’t see it coming. You also have a chance of breaking something. There’s been numerous occasions of tails, ears, paws being ripped and torn off because the suiter was jumped.
      Suits are expensive, play nice. If the suiter sees you and starts goofing around, then it’s fine.
    • If you want a hug stand in front of the suiter and hold out your arms and say “I want a hug” the gesture is big and easy to see even if they don’t hear you. If the suiter wants they will return the gesture, if not then don’t push it. A suiter has as much right to personal space as you do.
    • Don’t hang out in the headless lounge. It’s there so suiters can do quick repairs, get some air, water, and whatever without being too crowded. Headless lounges tend to be small as is. If you want to see a suiter wait until they are in general con space. The headless lounge is for handlers and suiters. No pictures in the headless lounge.
    • Pictures! Ask a suiter for a picture. 99% of the time they say yes, and it gives them a chance to pose. This also helps avoid the issue of picturing a headless suiter. Many suiters take their anonymity and character seriously be it for personal or professional reasons, headless pictures ruin that. This is why you don’t take pictures in the headless lounge. If you catch a suiter with their head off and they ask you to please remove the picture, its easiest to just remove the picture.

Elevators-
    • suiters can’t see well, they have big weird feet, and stairs are like a deathtrap. At conventions it is polite to give fursuits priority at elevators. This is not because they are cooler or more important, just a respectful thing to help them not tumble down some stairs or stand around in a hot suit when they may be in a hurry to get to their room and cool down.
    • Try not to delay a suiter. If a suiter looks like they want to get somewhere quickly. Chances are they are getting to their room or the headless lounge. It very easy to tell when a suiter wants to play and when they need to GTFO. If they are in a hurry, let them go.
    • If you get the chance to ask to see suit parts, it’s okay to ask. If the owner says no you can’t look at them, let it go. If you ask to try the head on and the answer is no, let it go. Suits are personal things, and a big investment and people can be protective (for good reason)
    • Don’t pull tails! If you pull a suiter’s tail may the fire of the fandom rain down and may you forever be trapped in drama. Seriously, it’s not cool, you’re not an infant. There is no excuse for ripping a suiter’s tail off.

Credits to Fay V on Furaffinity, for these guidelines I have more or less stolen.
    Last edited by Lagon; 10-Sep-2011 at 11:17.

The "9: Don’t: Talk in suit, for the same as above. Both of these tend to be broken in certain circumstances." is debatable now days since a lot of suits have movable jaws.

But besides that all great tips, i would offer some more as but kinda busy at work atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
    all great tips, i would offer some more as but kinda busy at work atm.
    Please do. This applies just as much to Siddy as to anybody/anyfurry else.

Bluesteak

i want a fur suit but probably a waste atm because im young and ill grow out of it

What is the possibility of constructing a fur suit that has a head which is fit to your facial structure, so that it incorporates your facial expression? I know this would make for a rather warm suite but it guess it would be just fine during the winter months. Anyone seen something like this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    What is the possibility of constructing a fur suit that has a head which is fit to your facial structure, so that it incorporates your facial expression? I know this would make for a rather warm suite but it guess it would be just fine during the winter months. Anyone seen something like this before?
    Sounds pretty impossible to me to be honest. A suit-head is pretty much just a teddy bear's head, but with space for someone inside, often the face doesnt even touch the front too much.

Talk to Disney, I think the new Micky mouse ones they have can do this. but its a heavy head

There was a guy at anthrocon that had a suit that could blink that had a normal size head and i saw a video just the other day but i forgot his name.

Just transfering your facial expression (like moving a mechanical jaw) is just not going to work. Think of all the foam, padding and materials that's between your head and the exterior of the mask.
    A solution is to use electronics. However, this is going to be quite complex. Remember your facial expression is made of loads of small muscles working together. These muscles has to be build into the head. It can made simple, just being able to show a few selected expressions. The more detail you want, the more muscles is needed.
    For actuators you can either go with servos. These is generally cheap, but big and clumpsy, and they emmit sound as they work.
    Another solution is EAP (electroactive polymers - a.k.a artificial muscles). I don't know the cost of these, but they might be expensive. They can be quite small, and don't say a thing when operating.

Back to the thread.
    Are people generally happy with the guide? Otherwise please suggest changes or addons.

---------- Post added 21-09-2011 at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was 10-09-2011 at 12:48 ----------

Just transfering your facial expression (like moving a mechanical jaw) is just not going to work. Think of all the foam, padding and materials that's between your head and the exterior of the mask.
    It seems I was terrible wrong when answering this question. From this youtube clip it should be very much possible to do exactly this. Sorry for giving out false answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
    Talk to Disney, I think the new Micky mouse ones they have can do this. but its a heavy head

There was a guy at anthrocon that had a suit that could blink that had a normal size head and i saw a video just the other day but i forgot his name.
    If it was a wolf, then it was most likely Wolftails who runs wolftronics. His fursuit has a fully animatronic skull built in to the head, allowing it not only to blink, but also for the ears to react to sound and also for it to snarl. Not sure on the latest improvements as his website hasnt been updated for a short while, however he was also one of the first people to make an animatronic tail also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    If it was a wolf, then it was most likely Wolftails who runs wolftronics. His fursuit has a fully animatronic skull built in to the head, allowing it not only to blink, but also for the ears to react to sound and also for it to snarl. Not sure on the latest improvements as his website hasnt been updated for a short while, however he was also one of the first people to make an animatronic tail also.
    This is the guy here i dont think its the same guy your talking about since its a blue fox Awesome Animatronic Fursuit! - YouTube