Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ban on gay men donating blood to be lifted, well... it's likely :-D

Dude84

Default Ban on gay men donating blood to be lifted, well... it's likely :-D

Please read this first:

BBC News - Gay blood donations ban likely to be lifted

Currently, the United Kingdom prohibits certain people from donating blood:
    • Homosexual mean
    • Heterosexual persons of either gender, who have had sexual intercourse with a person who has engaged in homosexual sexual intercourse at some point
    • Other, non sexual orientation related factors such as countries visited, foreign medical treatment received, etc

Whilst the "Other" category I have summarised above is, in my opinion, justified, I do not believe the discriminatory prohibition on homosexuals donating blood is.

I accept that it is reported that most new infections are apparently from homosexual men, this overlooks the fact that HIV does not discriminate; indeed, I am not aware of any instance in which a virus/bacteria would.

This approach additionally, ignores the consideration that the United Kingdom has many persons resident from countries with poor or non-existent screening controls, and who are generally from areas such as Africa where HIV is wrecking entire communities, in some instances.

It is ridiculous to prohibit persons from donating blood who have a partner whom has had homosexual sexual intercourse; this may be in practice, manageable if their partner's previous sexual "habits" are known, but in reality, it is improbable that the majority of persons in a relationship, particuarly a new or recently terminated short relationship will know the full "history" of their partner.

So, what do you think?

Please, this is not the place for right-wring religious views on homosexuality, or your 'moralistic' stance on this, nor wether homosexuality is a choice or biologically defined, etc.

Let's keep it on-topic, eh? :-)

I wasn't aware of the UK's flagrant bigotry. While I understand the thought behind the policy, I guess I had wrongly assumed that science had progressed enough to test blood for disease. (/Sarcasm)

Dude84

Quote Originally Posted by SubstanceD View Post
    I wasn't aware of the UK's flagrant bigotry. While I understand the thought behind the policy, I guess I had wrongly assumed that science had progressed enough to test blood for disease. (/Sarcasm)
    It has, and they do indeed routinely screen donated blood for "contaminants" such as HIV an Hepatitis, but for years the Blood Service insisted on maintaining such a policy (re: gay men) regardless.

It's not bigotry. It's a reasonable precaution considering that gay men account for 90% of the new HIV cases in developed countries. The testing is not good enough to catch the virus in the early stages. A lifetime ban on donation is overkill but requiring that gay men be in a monogamous relationship or celabate for a period exceeding the longest known incubation period of HIV before donating would be reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by SubstanceD View Post

The Terrence Higgins Trust, the UK's largest HIV and sexual health charity, says the arguments must be about public health, not discrimination.

It states: "We believe any decision on the safety of the blood supply must be based on evidence and not on political lobbying or framing of it as purely an equalities issue.
    " -http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14824310
    ^2nd

Good news! There never seem to be enough blood donors, so opening up to include "men who have sex with men" is surely a good thing.
    I'm a blood donor myself, but I've been excluded for the past 12 months following surgery - going to give again soon.

This approach additionally, ignores the consideration that the United Kingdom has many persons resident from countries with poor or non-existent screening controls, and who are generally from areas such as Africa where HIV is wrecking entire communities, in some instances.
    actually this issue is covered in the health questions for blood donors (and others)
    Give Blood - Can I Give Blood

Quote Originally Posted by MasterPython View Post
    ...gay men account for 90% of the new HIV cases in developed countries...
    I'd love to know where you got that statistic, as it's not one you should be throwing around based on personal opinion.

The CDC
    what is the CDC?

glad this is happening somewhere.

edit: CDC= american Center for Disease Control

The CDC
    I don't want to say I don't believe you, as I can find no information to prove you wrong, but lets just say I'm highly skeptical.