Thread: Idea!! Involves HTML, CSS, and Ajax/Javascript implements. ( webDev talk :3)

Default Idea!! Involves HTML, CSS, and Ajax/Javascript implements. ( webDev talk :3)

Right.. Many of you may not know what I'm talking about here, but maybe Mister Moo will see! :3 // I have had an Idea, using the (canvas) attribute of HTML5, to make a private image, alot like a .gif filetype image. (Using external JS and CSS, this could not easily be 'stolen' when viewing a source code or be saveAs'd !). Applying colour, like large pixels, to many (canvas)' to make an image. Sounds easy. right? This is where I am now: I want to apply function to change certain colors. Of course this would be done with variables, getElementById, setTimeout and inner.HTML. The problem seems assigning variables to the part that would be changed. There could be a set batch, but they could -not- all be set at once, otherwise it would just look like a cycle. This could have audio added, and I have even started developing a browser based logic game on this concept. Sadly though, I cannot test this theory until Friday. Anyone who would want to discuss or try it out and report progress to me would be thanked.

Hate to be "that guy" who pokes holes in stuff.. but firefox has a feature to save a canvas to an image file. Right click on a canvas and click "save as image".

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Hate to be "that guy" who pokes holes in stuff.. but firefox has a feature to save a canvas to an image file. Right click on a canvas and click "save as image".
    I was thinking that. But I think MalakaiWox may mean lots of little <canvas>es...

Quote Originally Posted by Jcub View Post
    I was thinking that. But I think MalakaiWox may mean lots of little <canvas>es...
    Ah, missed that bit.

In that case, this sounds like a more high-tech version of image chopping... which is annoying but effective

As TBpa123 said, there are screen capture tools (I have a nice one for firefox that lets me select an area of the screen and save to image) .. but this will probably stop your average web browser.

Well, they may be able to capture it, but it may be as a still image. I plan on making it like a gif :P . Also, depending on the size, I'll have just one (canvas) that will contain many overlayed colors :P

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

**I havent worked around with it much though. I've kept to mainly HTML4

Oh, I see. Well, drawing over the top of the canvas doesn't really make it any harder to grab the image. As BoundCoder pointed out, firefox at least lets a users save the image straight from the canvas. It should, as you say, make an animation a lot harder to copy, though.

Well, even if nothi else I imagine you'd learn a lot by attempting this, which is always a good reason to try stuff in the IT world!

HTML 5 still isn't supported by many popular clients (such as old yet popular releases of Firefox, Internet explorer, safari, etc.), So it would probably be more of a hindrance, than an improvement to the site.

---------- Post added at 01:25 ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 ----------

To OP: Should possibly be moved to administrative stuff, as it is a suggestion?

hmm, I've tried to make this myself once (the un-downloadable image)... the best result I had was a php script to break down the original image to pixels, and 'rendering' it to the screen using <DIV> tags (or table elements, or...), but the biggest problem is the speed. a 300*300 px image would load at reasonable speed, but a 3MP image would take half an hour to 'render', and your browser would need LOADS of ram.

and of course there is the problem of screen capturing software.