Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvida Geforce 8600 GT!

Default Nvida Geforce 8600 GT!

Well I was looking on Ebay today for computer parts, seem to have been doing that lately, and I found a really promising 8600 GT for only like 30 bucks, and I was wondering, would it work on XP? I think it should but my mom started worrying about it, which got me worrying about it.

nVIDIA GeForce 8600 8600GT 512MB PCI-E Video Card NEW!! - eBay (item 290250817330 end time Aug-06-08 21:39:16 PDT)

The 8600GT is quite an old graphics card, but it's very capable for Aero.

Also, I should point out, that looks like an 8500GT, not an 8600. All 8600GT graphics cards have dual DVI ports.

If you want gaming (and have a bit to spend plus a quality 600W+ power supply), look no further than an AMD HD4870.

Otherwise, the 8600GT will do just fine, but please check with the seller first!

EDIT: I don't recommend that card at all. It might have 512MB of memory, but it's very slow. In fact the 256MB of GDDR3 memory on my graphics card is nearly five times faster. In my opinion, memory speed is a whole lot more important than the amount of it. A lot of cheap low-end graphics cards use system memory for a "boost", this only slows EVERYTHING down.

But, if you want a good up to date card, have a look at the 8800GT and the 260GTX from Nvidia, and the HD3870 and HD4870 from AMD.

Really?

My friend got this card on his new custom built laptop that his friend and dad made him as a surprise grad gift, and his laptop runs faster than my computer and my friends computer put together O.o.

I will try to look for another one, but if I don't find one that I like that is better by the time this runs out, I will probably buy it, it's at such a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    The 8600GT is quite an old graphics card, but it's very capable for Aero.

Also, I should point out, that looks like an 8500GT, not an 8600. All 8600GT graphics cards have dual DVI ports.

If you want gaming (and have a bit to spend plus a quality 600W+ power supply), look no further than an AMD HD4870.

Otherwise, the 8600GT will do just fine, but please check with the seller first!

EDIT: I don't recommend that card at all. It might have 512MB of memory, but it's very slow. In fact the 256MB of GDDR3 memory on my graphics card is nearly five times faster. In my opinion, memory speed is a whole lot more important than the amount of it. A lot of cheap low-end graphics cards use system memory for a "boost", this only slows EVERYTHING down.

But, if you want a good up to date card, have a look at the 8800GT and the 260GTX from Nvidia, and the HD3870 and HD4870 from AMD.
    Eh, 8600 is a fine card if you have two of them, there really inst much of a difference from two 8600 cards and two 8800 cards, merely bragging rights(I'm talking graphics, not speed)

And, it's not a good idea to buy computer parts off eBay, an 8600 card is only 80$ brand new, much safer then eBay.

I know it is, but I'm poor and don't have a job atm =/, plus my mom freaks out anytime I try to buy anything over $50 which is why I never do anything for my computer, I have to use her credit card and she WON'T let me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    (I'm talking graphics, not speed)
    So it's alright if you have a pretty game that's a slideshow? >_>
    Speed is far more important.

And an 8600GT is a great card. The fact of the matter is, that nVidia lied to the public with the 9 series and they're at best, overclocked 8 series cards, are worst, REBADGED 8 series cards (9600GT = 8800GT, except you pay more for the 9600GT).
    So I'd be entirely happy with an 8600GT if I were you; you can play some Bioshock and Crysis on such a card

I got a 8800GT overclocked and its pretty good, but the 8600 preforms worse then the 8800's.

Alright I won the bid at $45 and like $9.98 shipping.

That's a great deal, but I'm starting to wonder if my fail boat computer can handle it.

It was probably a stupid idea for me to get this, I have a dell from 3 years ago, the only newer part in it is 2 gigs of RAM i put in about 6 months ago.

I still have the old dell case, and my friend who has a newer Dell case, he got a video card that blue screened a lot because it over heated because the fan would bounce off the back of the case and hit the video card. His card finally gave out so he traded it in for a worse one, a little better than I have in my computer now though. I dunno maybe it's just that Radeon isn't made very well or something.

Yes it does XD, I made sure of that like a few weeks ago when I was looking around for video cards.