Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buget cuts further deteriorate public education

Default buget cuts further deteriorate public education

I don't think anyone would deny that the u.s. public education system has been for a long time deteriorating; however, the problem is apparently getting worse at least in some areas, where local governments have been forced to make major cuts to the education budget. In many counties in Maryland (likely many other places too) teachers have been laid off creating a problems with class sizes, and in some cases teachers are losing planning periods, or as they have done in my school, some teachers have been given two classes to teach during the same period.

What does everyone here thing of the deteriorating conditions of public education, and the effects of budget cuts from the government?

literallegionaire

well as a kid going into 8th grade who's teachers just got laid off and replaced with ones who have never even taught that grade or subject before.... it sucks!!!!!!!!

My high school did not seem to have a problem, they bought a half a million dollar astro turf football field that only gets used by the teams for practice anymore, since they built a stadium to be used by all 3 high schools in the area. They got a new greyhound bus for the football team.

The computer labs get brand new MAC desktops and uploaded with the newest of software every year, while our textbooks keep getting shittier and the teachers don't give a shit.

Seems more like schools are more interested in sports than in education

I agree with Wing dong, Some schools are more interested in sports than in education.

MY school has Just Redone the stands for the football stadium, yet We had to lay off teachers and I have 48 kids in my ap gov class

Some things just dont add up

Or more interested in superficial veneers than anything else.

I think it's a disgrace. A lot of public services are getting cut yet we have money for Wall Street and wars halfway across the world. Yes, I'd say our government have their priorities straight.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalKid View Post
    Or more interested in superficial veneers than anything else.

I think it's a disgrace. A lot of public services are getting cut yet we have money for Wall Street and wars halfway across the world. Yes, I'd say our government have their priorities straight.
    Schools should be a State issue, Government should not have their hands in education. Just look at the "No Child Left Behind Act" It was supposed to bring the kids who were doing poorly up to the same speed as the kids who were getting straight A's. Instead it just lowered the bar on what was acceptable to pass. It is the main reason why kids today cannot spell or use proper grammar.

They are a state issue. But, part of the problem is that since jobs are missing because of the lack of manufacturing and the incentives that were given to big corporations to move jobs overseas, there isn't as much revenue for the the local governments to take via state and local taxes either from income or from sales that people are not going to because of said lack of jobs. Also worth noting is that some of the Federal budget does go to public education. In addition, since the offered solution seems to be raising the debt ceiling and printing up more and more cash, it would eventually result in inflation. So, people's dollars are buying less these days. In short, I think that with those things in mind, the Federal government has no business continuing hostilities or potentially starting new ones when they need to focus their attention on the citizens in this country who are hurting. Tax cuts for the rich, billions for Wall Street and the security-industrial complex isn't going to solve the issue.

However, I'm right with you with NCLB. It's an awful piece of legislation. The bar kept lowering because it became about teaching the test rather than actual instruction. The effect it would have is widening the gap between the inner-city schools and the schools in the more affluent neighborhood. Aside from the somewhat dubiousness of standardized testing, the approach is very stick-and-carrot which, as we've seen, doesn't work.

Well seeing as how my mom is a teacher, it's scary as hell! Its not like they need her there (she teaches music) music is important but not as significantly important as like math or something, so yeah it's pretty scary.

---
    - Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    Schools should be a State issue, Government should not have their hands in education.
    The states have a government too, eh?

On a more serious note, the same prof teaching two different classes at the same time? Why can't I see that ending well?

The federal government does fund schools in an indirect way, as they give money to the states, the less they give to the states, the less the states give to the local governments. Ultimately meaning the local government has less to give to education.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    The states have a government too, eh?

On a more serious note, the same prof teaching two different classes at the same time? Why can't I see that ending well?
    in some cases it might be fine, in others it will be a disaster.