Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Third Period Teacher...

Default My Third Period Teacher...

So, today, we were in English class. we're reading non fiction books. My friend, who is religious, goes "I'm going to change my book to the Bible" and my teacher goes (being 100% serious) "It has to be nonfiction" my friends face dropped xD it was hilarous.

anyone else ever have a teacher that did something like this?

To be honest i wouldn't call the bible non fiction because it is not telling the story of proven events; it is simply a religious teaching.

...Interesting...thatīs all I can say right now ^^

I can't say that I find this amusing in the slightest.

Crass, thoughtless, or perhaps worse to think of the implications and still make such a statement despite the possible emotional impact.

Quote Originally Posted by baconbit View Post
    To be honest i wouldn't call the bible non fiction because it is not telling the story of proven events; it is simply a religious teaching.
    I think you may have missed the point... And now I have to explain the punchline!
    The class were already reading non-fiction and the kid says he wants to switch to the Bible. In their reply, the teacher is basically making a joke that the Bible is fiction. Which is basically what you said, no?

Read it again and see if you get it...

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneHeart View Post
    So, today, we were in English class. we're reading non fiction books. My friend, who is religious, goes "I'm going to change my book to the Bible" and my teacher goes (being 100% serious) "It has to be nonfiction"

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post

Crass, thoughtless, or perhaps worse to think of the implications and still make such a statement despite the possible emotional impact.
    Although I presume it depends on the school syllabus - under the terms of their teaching, it may be acceptable to treat the bible as non fiction. It could arguably be crass and thoughtless to other students in the class to allow the student to treat the bible as non fiction!

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post

I highly doubt there was much impact on an english class full of (what I assume to be) juniors. the teacher was just being a jerk--although, I find it a little funny too... we both know the bible can't be completely non-fiction because of the scientific inaccuracies--never mind the allegories some take literally. one thing somebody's third period english teacher said once shouldn't provoke someone to completely change their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneHeart View Post
    So, today, we were in English class. we're reading non fiction books. My friend, who is religious, goes "I'm going to change my book to the Bible" and my teacher goes (being 100% serious) "It has to be nonfiction" my friends face dropped xD it was hilarous.

anyone else ever have a teacher that did something like this?
    Anyone who's willing to read the bible cover to cover has some serious balls since it's pretty boring and likely has seen a few mistranslations or more. As a country we can't even agree with what are founding farhers either said or what they meant by it. I have nearly zero faith in human's ablitly to accurately translate the bible. God should just have women give birth to kid's with bibles stapled on, that way we can finally get a finalized version. Owner's guide would be a nice touch too.

DRUS

I have a friend who would either start arguing with the teacher right then and there, or would make sure to let off some steam with me as his voluntary vent. Most likely the latter, because of his respect for athority. Even though I haven't decided on my faith yet, I can safely say if I became Chrishtian, the Bible would be more like a VERY loose guide than the, "law," per se. For the reason Fire2Box said... not to mention how many years it has been written down... without ANY errors?

Well, my 3rd hour teacher does this funny thing with new students that get switched into his class. He asks them about their summer, their school day so far, etc., then he gets up real close to you. He tried it with me, I just stood there because I knew he would do this because of a sophomore friend that had him last year.