Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Us Vs. Them

Default Us Vs. Them

Short question: Do you think this world is broken up into "us" and "them" statements just to keep people seperated? Is this normal/natural or not? Personally, I don't think so. A species with trivial inwards fighting doesn't seem like it would thrive to me.

I understand "us vs. them" in the more political sense so I would have to say it really only serves to keep people separate. Divide and conquer, you know? Keep the "little people" fighting each other while the local friendly plutocrat reaches for people's wallets in their back pockets, if you want to be more cynical.

I think it is human nature. There will always be a difference of some kind that you can either relate to or despise. No matter what, there will never really be world peace, unless we all become clones of one person.

There will always be a difference that divides us.

Also... i think it helps us to thrive. If there was no "us vs. them" there would be no competition and therefore, no growth. The species would be content and would get lethargic and die.

Space Race
    Arms Race
    Exploration/Colonization
    Industrial Revolution
    Renesiance
    Business
    Technology
    Educational standards
    Sports
    etc etc

All for bragging right.... us is better than them!

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    A species with trivial inwards fighting doesn't seem like it would thrive to me.
    People with more competitive drive tend to make it to the top and survive... and thus our ancestors with more competitive drive were more likely to make it into our genetic line.

Trivial inward fighting is just part of that legacy. I don't think there is any directed malice in it... it's just our nature.

Catperson

It's human nature. There will always be more than one opinion in regard to any statement. The side you identify with becomes "us", and the side you disagree with becomes "them". It's just how human psychology works.

DRUS

I had a friend who used to say humans were the most idiotic species on Earth. "You don't see any other animals doing the things we do to our own." And while most of this is due to the intillectual divide, it also kind of makes sense, in a symbolic kind of way... BECAUSE of our intellect, shouldn't we be able to ignore minor diffrences and work together? No, we get mixed up in things that shouldn't even matter. Yep, were real smart...

Quote Originally Posted by DRUS View Post
    You don't see any other animals doing the things we do to our own.
    Sure you do. Animals in nature fight over food, over a mate (and on that topic, some mating behaviour in nature makes us look pretty damn good), over territory. If you get abstract enough, they largely fight over the same kind of stuff we do. They just lack the intelligence to organize, craft weapons, and do it on a large scale.

DRUS

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Sure you do. Animals in nature fight over food, over a mate (and on that topic, some mating behaviour in nature makes us look pretty damn good), over territory. If you get abstract enough, they largely fight over the same kind of stuff we do. They just lack the intelligence to organize, craft weapons, and do it on a large scale.
    I was leaning more towards social violence, but animals don't have the capability (intellect wise) for that type of behavior. (Well, things like apperance for mating competition I suppose...)

Touche

Animal's are very 'clique-ish'. Tribes, packs, herds, families... they all look out for their own. Animal's fight just as much as humans, just not on the SCALE of humans.

Quote Originally Posted by DRUS View Post
    I was leaning more towards social violence, but animals don't have the capability (intellect wise) for that type of behavior. (Well, things like apperance for mating competition I suppose...)
    It's kind of a sad commentary on life.. but I imagine if animals _did_ have intelligence to have the kind of thoughts we do.. they'd probably fight over those in the same way as humans. As said, part of our nature. The ones who tried to get along with everyone and were hesitant to fight/compete for a mate ended up getting eaten by something else and/or not passing along the genes.

Not to come across as a human apologist or anything. I agree that most of the fighting and conflict in the world is quite silly. There's lots of resources and enough space on this planet that if we can't all work together... we should at least be able to go into a corner somewhere and ignore each other.

The good news is, willingness to fight and competitiveness are no longer the advantage they once were (unfortunately, as put quite well in the otherwise silly movie "idiocracy", neither is intelligence). Maybe in a few dozen more generations the ultra competitive type genes will become diluted and we'll all finally calm down.

A person can dream anyway