Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We remember 9/11...

Exclamation We remember 9/11...

9/11's 10th anniversary is almost upon us. Even though it may be ten years since that tragic day, the memories are still fresh in the minds of millions around the world.

On 9/11 I was in 3rd grade. We were all sitting in class and a couple minutes after the pledge of allegiance, the announcements called all of the teachers in to the halls. They teachers all ran out of the room in a hurry and came back with so much panic and sorrow, none of the kids knew what's was so terrible. My teacher had come up to me and asked me about my father. My father was the Chief Operating Engineer at the WTC. He was in charge of the heating, cooling, plumbing, and maintenance of all electrical systems. He went to work that morning, as usual, on the top floor of WTC7, one of the towers that had fallen. My teacher had remembered my father worked in the towers and made sure the rest of the day I was safe and comfortable. It wasn't until after school care that I found out about the incident.

My mom had come to pick me up early from day care. She ran to me while I was playing the sand box. She told me what had happened and we cried together. We got home, watched the news and tried getting into contact with my dad. No luck. We had thought he passed away. Knowing his office was on the roof solidified our thoughts. At 4 AM the morning after, my father comes walking through our front door, clothes and face ashen, and the most loving smile in the world. He survived.

We found out later on that he had been in his building when the first plane hit. It was his job to turn everything off in the building. If he hadn't, and continued to descend without doing so, the buildings would've exploded instead of collapsing. On his very risky way down, he saved a man lying on the staircase, going through a diabetic coma. Picked him up and carried him down 52 flights.

My father was a hero and I thank God he's alive.

What are your memories of 9/11? Never forget.

I was just getting out of school and my Dad was waiting to give me a ride. He was sitting in the car with the radio on, just in shock. I gathered roughly from the radio tone that what was going on was dramatic, but Dad turned it off and just said: "The shit's hit the fan in America"...

It was only when I got home after my paper round hours later than I managed to find out what happened.

The day after, I wrote a poem in my English class about it... It's not great, but I was only 12 or 13.

America, oh America!
    The greatest land of all.
    Little did you know what was coming,
    to try and make you fall.

Heartless were those people,
    who hijacked all those planes.
    Flown into government buildings,
    causing all that pain.

Tall and strong they stood,
    like a symbol of the Free.
    Making proud the neighbourhood,
    for all the World to see.

The day that shook the World,
    shall be respected by us all.
    Remembered shall be all those people,
    who died within those walls

The pain in our hearts,
    Is far too hard to bear.
    Sorrow for all those people,
    crying for help out there.

America, oh America!
    The greatest Land of all.

Written 12th September 2001.
    Re-discovered 24th September 2007 in an old exercise book.

Butterfly Mage

I remember feeling a lot of rage that day. I felt let down by our so-called "leadership" too. I recall thinking how pointless and hateful it was to kill in the name of religion. I remember thinking that innocent people who were just going to work were killed by religious fanatics trying to please their god. Then people overseas were killed by bombs in revenge, even though the overwhelming majority of the people killed had nothing to do with the 911 attack.

I remember how Bush used this hateful attack to turn citizen against citizen and to divide America along every possible demographic. The rich got richer, the poor got poorer. He spent us into brink of bankruptcy on wars with no plans or exit strategies. His favored defense contractors got rich while American soldiers got dismembered, driven insane, or killed by shrapnel bombs. In a time where we should have been united, our leadership divided us even more. The "leadership" decided to wage war on personal freedom too. We have to take our shoes off at airports. People with incontinence, retardation, or prosthetic implants are routinely intimidated and humiliated by "security". Our phones and emails are tapped without provocation or warrants. But we are so much less safe than we were prior to 9/11/2001. And America is a more hateful, ignorant, and paranoid than at any time in my memory.

I remember how we received an outpouring of international sympathy -- until we started an unprovoked was against Iraq.

This was not a good day. I think it was the turning point in our culture where it went into retreat and decay. The time of American greatness died that day. We are living in the aftermath, as the 20% unemployment and the yawning chasm between rich and poor attests. It is only a matter of time before America dissolves into petty, squabbling regional states ruled by petty dictators that only keep the flimsiest trappings of "democracy" and "justice".

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanSuperman View Post
    I was just getting out of school and my Dad was waiting to give me a ride. He was sitting in the car with the radio on, just in shock. I gathered roughly from the radio tone that what was going on was dramatic, but Dad turned it off and just said: "The shit's hit the fan in America"...

It was only when I got home after my paper round hours later than I managed to find out what happened.

The day after, I wrote a poem in my English class about it... It's not great, but I was only 12 or 13.

America, oh America!
    The greatest land of all.

Heartless were those people,
    who hijacked all those planes.
    Flown into government buildings,
    causing all that pain.

Tall and strong they stood,
    like a symbol of the Free.
    Making proud the neighbourhood,
    for all the World to see.

The day that shook the World,
    shall be respected by us all.
    Remembered shall be all those people,
    who died within those walls

The pain in our hearts,
    Is far too hard to bear.
    Sorrow for all those people,
    crying for help out there.

America, oh America!
    The greatest Land of all.

Written 12th September 2001.
    Re-discovered 24th September 2007 in an old exercise book.
    Very nice poem! =]

Thing I remember about 9/11 is that I had woken up to it in the afternoon that day. I had been out early that morning for breakfast with some friends in from out of town and I'd gotten so pissed at them because all they did was talk about stupid shit... and I just got annoyed. So, in my Eric Cartman impersonation I said, 'Screw you guys.... I'm goin' home.' And I did.

I went to bed, and woke up that afternoon to the images on CNN, as I always watch CNN when I first get up. I saw it all- and at first I thought I was dreaming so I called my mom and she told me it was all real. I just sat there and cursed at the Arabs, and hollering at my TV, 'NUKE THE FUCKERS!' It was worse for my best friend, he was working and still works at the Cleveland Federal building, and he was evacuated. It also was his birthday too... talk about a bad day for your birthday... Anyway, that's what I remember first and foremost. I also remember President Bush addressing the nation that night too and just being in a state of shock.

Also another thing I remember is not seeing planes fly over and it kinda was eerie as I usually saw the trails of jets high in the air and helicopters. The only thing I saw in the air that night was a LifeFlight helicopter. Just was eerie and shocking.

9/11 was a bad day. A real bad day. A day that I will never foget and I never saw coming.

WildThing121675

I remember 9-11 well. I was off from work because 9-11 is my birthday. I had just woken up when the first plane had flown into the the WTC. I first thought as the media did it was a small or light plane until the second plane hit the other tower. I knew then we were under attack and at war. I also knew that Bin Laden was behind it. He had tried unsuccessfully in 1993 to bring them down with a truck bomb that didn't do it. By the time that the towers fell I was in tears and very hurt and mad. As some know here I am a retired Veteran and love this country very much and hated seeing this happening to us!!! It still hurts today knowing what happened on September 11th 2001 and we seem to have forgotten what happened that horrible day. I watched the show on the Discovery Channel the other night about the new WTC being built. It is being built very strong and sturdy so a large plane or bomb will not bring it down. I hope that it never happens again, but know deep down that the radical people who hate us and our way of life will not rest until they have made a valiant attempt at destroying the World Trade Center again!!!!! God Bless the USA and our Troops who are out there defending our way of life!!!!!!!

I was in 8th on 9/11 and when I woke up my dad and his friend who was staying with us were watching the news covrage. Because we only had over the air TV at the time so every channel was playing the news. I was surprised that it happened and it was my first real time hearing about terrorists, what these ones were about and all that stuff. However being in 8th grade, living in California I wasn't scared nor saw how it should affect me. I did care to some extent but I would be lying if I said I became heart broken by the events that took place that day. I think it really sucks for everyone that lost their lives that day but I din't know any of them.

I might very well of had extended family in there, but even if I did. I did not know them well enough to know they even died in the worst terrorist attack of 9/11. I am sorry for anyone that lost friends or family that day, and that it shouldn't of happened at all. The biggest way terrorists affected me was for 72 hours, none of my cartoons or TV shows were airing. So I spent days playing boring crap on my PS2.

I would of gone on 1,000 flights on 9/11/2001 after that day's events, I would of gone on all flights on 9/12/2001. Terrorist's won't ever scare me out of whats then and now the safest way of travel. Plus worst comes to worst I'd die fighting with a idiot who thinks terrorism works. Since as we all know it hasn't really done jackshit for them so far. Other then getting some of them shot in the head or blown to pieces with missiles.

Fun fact: Terrorist's are a lot like slinky's. The only way to have fun with them is to throw them down a flight of stairs.

I was a sophomore in college when 9/11 happened. I had a Spanish class at 9 a.m., but that day there was an exam that took me literally less than five minutes to complete. Since I had an hour to kill, I decided to go grab some breakfast. When I got to the dining commons, it was unusually quiet, and when I sat down, I realized why when I looked up at the TV and saw frantic news coverage. About 30 seconds later, the second plane flew into the second tower.

I don't really recall eating much of my food, and classes the rest of the day were a total wash. Most everyone found a TV and punched up CNN.

Quote Originally Posted by Catinthehat View Post
    My mom had come to pick me up early from day care. She ran to me while I was playing the sand box. She told me what had happened and we cried together. We got home, watched the news and tried getting into contact with my dad. No luck. We had thought he passed away. Knowing his office was on the roof solidified our thoughts. At 4 AM the morning after, my father comes walking through our front door, clothes and face ashen, and the most loving smile in the world. He survived.
    I was really worried for your dad for a minute there - thank goodness he was OK

I was 13.5, but don't really have any big memories of 9/11 - it being a school-day, and due to time difference, I didn't hear about it until my mum got home about 5 pm and turned on the TV to find the rolling news had broken in to every channel....

I remember going to bed that night thinking about it - just "Why??" like most people - and I really hoped it was no-one who believed in anything I did, because nothing good was worth doing THAT for...

That's a very good poem DanDan...and I appreciate, as an American, that you cared so much about us in that tremendous moment of shock and grief. It was so hard to imagine over 3000 people suddenly dying.

I had left a job I had for 20 years, and had gone back to college, trying to get my teacher certification. The student lounge had a large screen tv. I stopped to look at it, seeing the first plane fly into the tower. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. When the second plane hit the second tower, I knew immediately the crashes were no accident.

I think the one thing that makes me so angry was that the terrorists had such easy access to the pilots. What were the airline companies thinking? One has to admire that fourth plane where the passengers attacked the terrorists, knowing their plane would crash. When one considers them, and the many responders who died or were injured, it was a day for heroes.