Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latex Pacifier Allergies

Default Latex Pacifier Allergies

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to have a subtle allergy to latex. T

The reason why I ask is that I have a Nuk 5 and have used one at night for about 4 months and I have this stuffy nose that won't go away.

It makes me wonder if it's possible to have a very slight latex allergy or to develop one over time.

The only other factor could be a window air conditioner I have been using this summer to keep my room really cold at night.

I may just stop using my paci and see what happens. I really wish someone made an adult size silicone pacifier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

A small number of people have a latex allergy. I know because I have a few friends going to medical school and it's one of the things they screen for first.

That said, if you've been using it for four months and all you have is a stuffy nose, that may well be coincidental and there's something else causing it. Another reason I say that is because allergies in general usually cause something major (i.e. anaphylaxis) or localised irritation where the contact with the allergen occurs - so in this case I'd expect there to be irritation about the mouth not the nose. You could see if stopping using it makes any difference, but it might not do. Unfortunately I do not know of any silicone adult pacifiers either, they probably exist but they'll probably be more expensive.
    Last edited by WoodlandWanderer; 28-Aug-2011 at 20:53. Reason: typo

According to this site, Latex Allergy, an allergic reaction would lead to rashes and swelling, but it doesn't mention stuffy noses.

It is possible to develop a latex allergy from overexposure, but I doubt that you've developed one. That said, I'm not a medical professional, so if your stuffy nose doesn't go away, I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

Also, is there a possibility that you might have mold somewhere? Mold can sometimes cause chronic cold-like symptoms.
    Last edited by BigBlueBear; 28-Aug-2011 at 22:16.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBear View Post
    According to this site, Latex Allergy, an allergic reaction would lead to rashes and swelling, but it doesn't mention stuffy noses.

It is possible to develop a latex allergy from overexposure, but I doubt that you've developed one. That said, I'm not a medical professional, so if your stuffy nose doesn't go away, I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

Also, is there a possibility that you might have mold somewhere? Mold can sometimes cause chronic cold-like symptoms.
    It may be the window A/C I've been using this summer. I found it in my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePony View Post
    It may be the window A/C I've been using this summer. I found it in my alley.
    There is a possibility, but there is no way to tell for sure. For now, take a break from your paci like you said. You could probably also try to go without your A/C for a little while to see if that does anything (hot days are gonna suck, I know ).

I'm not sure what else to suggest. I hope your symptoms go away soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBear View Post
    There is a possibility, but there is no way to tell for sure. For now, take a break from your paci like you said. You could probably also try to go without your A/C for a little while to see if that does anything (hot days are gonna suck, I know ).

I'm not sure what else to suggest. I hope your symptoms go away soon.
    Thanks BigBlueBear. I'll take a break from my paci for a while and see if it helps. I really think that it is the window A/C, this may have been the reason why my neighbor got rid of it in the first place.

Thanks BigBlueBear. I'll take a break from my paci for a while and see if it helps. I really think that it is the window A/C, this may have been the reason why my neighbor got rid of it in the first place.
    You found an A/C in your alley and decided to use it? Not exactly the best idea. Who knows, that thing might run off of CFCs. But I'd highly doubt it's the latex in the paci. It's more likely the scrap A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal0ispwnd View Post
    You found an A/C in your alley and decided to use it? Not exactly the best idea. Who knows, that thing might run off of CFCs. But I'd highly doubt it's the latex in the paci. It's more likely the scrap A/C.
    I believe this A/C uses R-22 as most units today, and I believe that R-22 does contain CFC's. I don't think the refrigerant is an issue, but I think it may have mold inside possibly.

Summer in Texas is almost over, so I will have the freon evacuated from it, and I will throw it away when it cools down.

I believe this A/C uses R-22 as most units today, and I believe that R-22 does contain CFC's. I don't think the refrigerant is an issue, but I think it may have mold inside possibly.

Summer in Texas is almost over, so I will have the freon evacuated from it, and I will throw it away when it cools down.
    CFCs...the chemical credited with creating the hole in the ozone layer...why isn't this banned yet? *Shakes head slowly*

Quote Originally Posted by Hal0ispwnd View Post
    CFCs...the chemical credited with creating the hole in the ozone layer...why isn't this banned yet? *Shakes head slowly*
    I think they are trying to go away from CFC refrigerants. My parent's A/C unit runs on R-410a. Interestingly Puron (R-410a) has a potential to cause global warming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-410A

Maybe I should be the most worried about the fact that I am going to have pacifier withdrawal, not how stuffy my nose is.