Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dubious Article

Default Dubious Article

The story below gives nothing to back up this study or provide the methodology, which I suspect is shoddy. Would a story like this fly if it centered on adult behavior? Is there a group that they studied that wasn't prone to some negative, treatable condition? It strikes me more in the realm of handwriting analysis or other pseudo-science diagnostic "tools".

Musical key to unlocking teenage wasteland | theage.com.au

After getting through the first paragraph, I couldn't do anything but sit back and laugh. They took stereotypes about music that have existed since music first took form, and put it in a nutty article to get some attention.

Nothing more than that.

I was going to dissect it one point at a time. But I haven't got the attention span at the moment. Will do so if I get bored tomorrow. I think it could be fun.

HEAVY METAL: Higher levels of suicidal ideation, depression, drug use, self-harm, shoplifting, vandalism, unprotected sex.

I like Heavy Metal and I've never used drugs, inflicted harm on myself, shoplifted, vandalized or had unprotected sex =/.

JAZZ/RHYTHM & BLUES: Introverted misfits, loners.

Um, excuse me!?!?!?!? I love Jazz and Blues, everyone I know who likes it, are NOT misfits, and are usually not loners.

RAP: Higher levels of theft, violence, anger, street gang membership, drug use and misogyny.

Now that, I can believe. Most kids who listen to rap try to stick to the "cool" people, which are the ones that do all that.

"A study, published in today's Australasian Psychiatry journal, found that teens who listened to pop music were more likely to be struggling with their sexuality, those tuning in to rap or heavy metal could be having unprotected sex and drink-driving, and those who favoured jazz were usually misfits and loners."

"Drink-driving" just makes me laugh. Is this even real? They actually let that typo exist? Or is this some journalistic colloquialism that I haven't been educated on yet? Let's see how retarded it looks in other uses by putting it in the place of its cousin, "drunk".

- "Dude, you wanna go get drink?"
    - "Paul, you're such a drink!"

Need I say more?

Of course kids who favor jazz are misfits and loners -- they get stuffed in lockers and punched in their tits on a regular basis. Why? Because you don't parade around saying, "Man, Duke Ellington is ****ing awesome," in school without expecting to get your nuts punched in or be called a "fag" (A derogatory term I'm quoting for its commonality in teenaged vernacular, not for its accuracy in describing the person to whom it is directed).

"The findings prompted a call for doctors to include musical tastes as a diagnostic indicator in mental health assessments."

But what if the doctor likes classical and he's biased against people who don't listen to it? Doesn't the age difference and the interest in different musical tastes factor in here, or are we blind to that? Musical tastes -- which are often a result of generation and age, as well -- are one of the most commonly notated forms of prejudice, after all.

"An American study had also shown that young adults who regularly listened to heavy metal had a higher preoccupation with suicide and higher levels of depression than their peers."

Because committing suicide is ****ing hardcore, so do it, or you aren't grim enough.

"Deliberate self-harm and attempted suicide were also associated with teenagers who listened to trance, techno, heavy metal and medieval music as part of the Goth subculture, while those who attended dance parties were much more likely than their peers to be taking drugs."

No shit! People who party use more drugs than people who don't? People who listen to goth music self-mutilate? If I had to listen to Marilyn Manson cry on a regular basis because my natural musical tastes encouraged me to do so, I'd probably want to find a way out, too.

"Some genres of rap music, such as French rap, were linked to more deviant behaviours, including theft, violence and drug use. Teens who listened to hip-hop were usually less troublesome, Dr Baker said. 'But it's important to point out that music doesn't cause these behaviours,' she said."

I like how drug use, violence, and theft caused by French rap are more deviant than the drug use, violence, and theft caused by other types of music. They're on their own level, monsieur.

Detective: "Officer, this looks ... this looks bad."
    Officer: "Why? What's different about this dead body than the one last week?"
    Detective: "I ... don't know. It must be..." (a pause.)
    Officer: "You don't mean--"
    Detective: "I do. Officer, it appears as though this person wasn't killed in any musically-induced fit of violence. It appears as though this person was killed in the throes of a French rap-induced fit of violence!"
    Officer: (There is no response; the words have struck such fear into the Officer that there is the noise of something rumbling, muddy, and moist as his bowels empty into his pants.)

""It's more a case of teenagers who may have a mental illness or are involved in these antisocial behaviours being drawn to certain types of music."

Yeah. Music that sucks.

Trevor, I'm sorry that you had to discover this news article first. It must have hurt your soul to read it, because you're such a logical person, and the article seems so ridiculously retarded. Thank you for sharing its stupidity with us, and showing us just how insane people can really be.

My only question...

... I wonder what kind of music the author of the article listens to?

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    Trevor, I'm sorry that you had to discover this news article first. It must have hurt your soul to read it, because you're such a logical person, and the article seems so ridiculously retarded. Thank you for sharing its stupidity with us, and showing us just how insane people can really be.
    It was worth the initial pain to get your post savaging it. I wonder if the "drink-driving" thing could be an Australian thing? If not, they're just extra lame.

I'm glad I'm out of school, so I can safely say that "Duke Ellington is ****ing awesome". It was hard going there for a while, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    "Drink-driving" just makes me laugh. Is this even real?
    I hate to have to tell you, but "Drink-driving" is 'real'. I actually thought that it was an American term, but obviously not. I've definitely heard it before though.

I'm upset they didn't do Indie music...

I love heavy metal, Let me mark the things that don't apply to me!

HEAVY METAL:
    Higher levels of suicidal ideation, depression, drug use, self-harm, shoplifting, vandalism, unprotected sex.

I think its wrong

I say this article is bollocks.
    That was all I had to say. I do not believe this article is worth more than a 3 lined statement, such as this.
    Yeah.
    Last edited by Roland; 05-Aug-2008 at 21:48.

I LOVE Heavy Metal. I also listen to a fair bit of Jazz, Pop, & Dance (I'm assuming they grouped most forms of electronica underneath "Dance".

None of the traits listed under those musical styles apply to me in the least.

And Duke Ellington does kick ****ing ass!