Thread: Have you noticed the delaying of Potty Training these days

Default Have you noticed the delaying of Potty Training these days

Have any of you observed that it seems mothers (or maybe I should say, some mothers) are delaying potty training their children these days. I would think with the price of diapers getting more and more expensive (I saw in the paper that Pampers raised their prices a month or so ago), that they would be wanting to PT as soon as possible.

[Removed]
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 27-Aug-2011 at 01:34. Reason: removed diaper sighting.

I think part of it is the "modern parenting" that has been getting more and more prominent in recent years. Parents are told to let their child decide when they are ready to potty train, and the stupider parents think that means to let the kid go for as long as they want until it becomes an issue. What those parents don't think to do is provide the child with the framework of what using the potty entails and then allowing them to make an informed decision.

I'm sure many parents would provide their own reasons or excuses as to why their almost five year old is still in diapers, but I'd have to say it's laziness more than anything. Then again, I'm not a parent, so what the F do I know?

I have notice it to the age is getting higher it would not be on likely the diaper companies up to their size for older children again. However, there is another thing going now is diapered free baby what think is stupid in my option.

I wish my parents had delayed mine. Okay, just kidding. I'm not sure parents are deliberately delaying, but rather, both parents work, or there is just a working mom, and they don't have the time to give to potty training that a stay at home mom had. I know my daughter has struggled with her son, as he has had his share of accidents. He goes to daycare, so he is at the mercy of when they parade them to the bathroom. I know that both my wife and I were most anxious to have our children potty trained, because no one enjoys cleaning up poopie diapers, and worse, poopie underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I'm not sure parents are deliberately delaying, but rather, both parents work, or there is just a working mom, and they don't have the time to give to potty training that a stay at home mom had.
    That is probably it. Combine that with ever improving disposables that make it imposible to feel wetness for more than a few seconds.

The kids being raised diaper free are luck to get the level of attention they do.

My son is now 5 years old and he started potty training shortly before turning 2. I'm a single parent and I can attest to how hard it can be to train with the little bit of time you have in the day. It was difficult at first, but wasn't so hard as to make me want to delay it. I'm not sure, but I feel as though there might be negative repurcussions for waiting too long to potty train, but then again, I don't necessarily know what "too long" is, and I'm sure its different for each child.