Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Growing Trend in the Furry Community

Catperson

Default A Growing Trend in the Furry Community

Has anybody else noticed this trend in the community lately? When encountering trolls, I'll often see certain furries say something along the lines of "hey, some of us just like to have fun, there are aspects of the fandom that gross me out too".

...Does anyone else feel like this is a problem? It is just... so... hypocritical... instead of sticking up for your fellow fur, they point a finger on them and try to get the haters to target other furs instead of themselves. Because apparently, whatever you do is the exact extent of "completely normal", and anything beyond that is "gross and weird".

Some people are into yiff, some people believe they are furry in spirit/mind/soul. I never judge anyone, but it always irks me when others do. Especially when you're judging the same group you're a part of. Anyone else think this way?

No, it's not a problem. Some things in the fandom do creep other people out. Some things in the fandom creep /me/ out ffs. Furry is such a broad term, that we have huge sub-sects that are essentially their own fandoms within the larger, furry fandom.

If you don't like that others are creeped out by other parts of the community, it's kinda just... 'tough shit.' Not everyone likes everything about what they're into. Some people who love anime can't stand most of the people who like it... I.E you wapanese twats (The people from America that think anime is the root of all enjoyment and life and only want to live in an anime world and go to a high school in japan to have adventure) running around in japan on the sidewalks attacking each other with fake swords dressed up like Sephiroth and cloud.

Catperson

Quote Originally Posted by Liam117 View Post
    No, it's not a problem. Some things in the fandom do creep other people out. Some things in the fandom creep /me/ out ffs. Furry is such a broad term, that we have huge sub-sects that are essentially their own fandoms within the larger, furry fandom.
    I'm not saying you can't be creeped out. But I'm talking about people who side with the trolls, to make themselves look more reasonable in comparison. Shouldn't we be sticking up for each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Catperson View Post
    I'm not saying you can't be creeped out. But I'm talking about people who side with the trolls, to make themselves look more reasonable in comparison. Shouldn't we be sticking up for each other?
    ... They're doing it for the lulz. You seriously need to /not/ take trolling, or the fandim that seriously.

Catperson

I do take the fandom seriously, it's part of who I am. I stick up for other furries because I care about them. And I know that there will always be trolling, but what gets me is furries degrading other furries because of it. People who do it don't do it for the lulz, they do it to make the trolls think "this fur is less socially acceptable, hate him instead of me". What, do people get greedy for their own personal social acceptance? Some people would rather make themselves look normal than make the furry community look better as a whole. Sorry, I have a thing about hypocrisy, and this definitely gets me.

Standing up against a troll is exactly what the troll wants. Make a statement that makes them immediately feel like they are important, or ignore them.

It's pointless to say anything to a troll. They know very well what the fandom is. They are doing this to make people angry and fight back, by arguing with them or even standing up for anyone in furry fandom you are simply giving the troll what he wants.

The easiest way to get rid of a troll is to simply say "Wow, you caught me... good job." or something like that.

But the best thing to do is completely ignore them.

Catperson

I'm not talking about people who say "yep, furries are gross", or something along those lines to get rid of trolls. I'm talking about people who openly side with the trolls, saying things like "they take it too far" and "they're doing it wrong" and "they need to step back a bit". People who do this think that it will make themselves look better in the trolls' eyes, society's eyes, and even their own eyes. Because like I said, whatever you do is the exact extent of what's acceptable.

Am I really reading this right? When did this become okay? Hating trolls like everyone else, but then becoming one whenever you think it'll help your appearance...

Quote Originally Posted by Catperson View Post
    Am I really reading this right? When did this become okay? Hating trolls like everyone else, but then becoming one whenever you think it'll help your appearance...
    Has nothing to do with making yourself look good, a troll is not going to view one furry better than another. That is why they are trolls. But yeah if someone comes up and says this is gross, I will say hey, everyone is into something different, it is wrong, but whatever.

I'd simply defend my stance, not the overall furry stance. I'm not much of an idealist. I've considered myself "traitor" to the furry community before, so I don't really call myself one anymore.

furry is a hobby, not a life style.

furries don't have to stand up for other furries

and standing up to a troll is pointless...it's what they want

a troll is a person who wants to make you rage and throw a fit so they can laugh at you