Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Opinions on Weed.

Catperson

Default My Opinions on Weed.

I'm sorry, I know I'll probably piss some people off with this, but just know that I'm only ranting my opinions here and don't mean any direct offense to anyone. I've just been seeing alot of talk about this on other sites lately, and thought I'd put my opinions somewhere. So here goes:

I don't want weed to be legalized, for several reasons.

#1, weed is not healthy. There is no scientific proof that it is in any way healthy. People get the idea that it's healthy because it's used in cancer treatment, and they think "hey, weed kills cancer!". It doesn't. It is used as a painkiller for chemo patients, and nothing more. The only medicinal value of any kind it has is to dull the nervous system, which 95% of the time is a bad thing. If you lived in a padded box, maybe this would be okay. But in the real world, you need full control of your sensory and motor skills. I don't want to be in a world full on stoned drivers, and people who think they can fly if they believe hard enough. In addition, weed carries several health risks. It ironically bears the risk of lung cancer (ANY inhaled smoke can do that-- anyone who denies it is lying).

#2, weed is a drug. Plain and simple, it is a drug, and drugs are bad. While weed may not be as bad as other drugs, it still has it's problems, as mentioned above. On top of that it makes people think that doing drugs is okay, and leads onto worse drugs. And personally, I consider drugs to be life abuse. You are SO lucky to have been born a human in the 21st century, the statistical chance of that happening is about 1 in a trillion. But no, you HAVE to do drugs, and abuse your body, because it "feels good".

The only decent arguments I've heard for legalization are the effects it may have on the economy, and that making it mainstream would likely be detrimental to crime (which are actually pretty good points). However, I don't think this outweighs seeing my friends fall to drugs. And as a side note, I'm 16. Yes, a young person that is anti-drug, if you can believe it. I will never do drugs, and I think it would be gross and traumatizing to see my friends do it. Ironically I'm an extreme leftist liberal in EVERY other regard, but I will never say yes to drugs.

But... Family Guy said it's OK... Argh I'm confused now!

Sorry - I had to! I pretty much agree with you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Catperson View Post

I don't want weed to be legalized, for several reasons.

#1, weed is not healthy. There is no scientific proof that it is in any way healthy. People get the idea that it's healthy because it's used in cancer treatment, and they think "hey, weed kills cancer!". It doesn't. It is used as a painkiller for chemo patients, and nothing more. The only medicinal value of any kind it has is to dull the nervous system, which 95% of the time is a bad thing. If you lived in a padded box, maybe this would be okay. But in the real world, you need full control of your sensory and motor skills. I don't want to be in a world full on stoned drivers, and people who think they can fly if they believe hard enough. In addition, weed carries several health risks. It ironically bears the risk of lung cancer (ANY inhaled smoke can do that-- anyone who denies it is lying).

Whoa, slow your roll kiddo. Weed is not only a painkiller for chemo patients, it also helps increase their appetite (which is nonexistent when you are on chemo). Nobody claimed it cures cancer, but it sure as hell makes it easier for patients. Weed does not increase your chance of lung cancer any more than second smoke does. Also, weed has been proven to help patients with glaucoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Catperson View Post
    #2, weed is a drug. Plain and simple, it is a drug, and drugs are bad. While weed may not be as bad as other drugs, it still has it's problems, as mentioned above. On top of that it makes people think that doing drugs is okay, and leads onto worse drugs. And personally, I consider drugs to be life abuse. You are SO lucky to have been born a human in the 21st century, the statistical chance of that happening is about 1 in a trillion. But no, you HAVE to do drugs, and abuse your body, because it "feels good".
    People only see weed as a gateway drug because the after school PBS specials tel them so. If weed was legalized it would be monitored heavily, people would be getting pure product. It wouldn't be some shady crap that people are buying and don't know if it's laced with heavy drugs. Marijuana is not addictive. It contains no nicotine and unlike cigarettes it's just the leaf, no added chemicals.

This is coming from someone who has never smoked anything in their life

The thing with marijuana is, it doesn't make your friends any more retarded than they already are, believe me I know. Your counter points to marijuana could be used with more ease to support the criminalization of cigarettes and alcohol. I don't believe anyone would have possibly conceived the idea that pot would be an uncontrolled substance if it were to be legalized. I know several people who use weed as a sleep aid, or as a social anxiety reducer, as for cancer treatment it is kind of a god drug:
    1. it dulls the pain of cancer treatment and is far less addictive than oxycodone or other pain killers.
    2. one of the main side-effects is increased appetite, which counteracts the loss of appetite from cancer treatment, which helps prevent malnourishment.
    3. pot doesn't have to be smoked, you can make it into a butter and eat, which is the preferred method of input for those receiving treatment for lung cancer.

If it were legalized we'd be able to do more research on it and therefore understand it better, be able to learn all of the benefits and drawbacks of it's consumption.

...is there any way to disagree with you without being modded out? I wonder quietly to myself.

Kids should not do drugs. Illegal drugs are illegal and therefore I am not advising they be done. I think that covers me fairly well.

To your points:
    #1: I know that smoking pot doesn't kill cancer. But it does aid in stopping the nausea caused by chemo and as you said it's a painkiller. [Removed]

#2 That "gateway drug" thing is bullshit. I have never wanted to escalate to harder drugs, that's just me though. I think a person has to have a certain personality to fall victim to the gateway drug trap...maybe I just got lucky. Drugs ARE bad, BUT weed does have benefits that other illegal drugs don't. If black tar heroine aided glaucoma I'm sure things would be different in the world.

The effects on the economy and on the crimes committed with weed trafficking and sale would be overwhelmingly positive. Think how great it would be if people weren't getting shot and killed over something as stupid as pot. The "war on drugs" is an unwinnable war no matter how you slice it, but more focus could be put on harder and worse drugs if pot were legalized. Keeping crack pipes out of peoples hands is more important to me than keeping bongs out of them.

I'm gonna say this again though: DON'T DO DRUGS, they are illegal and you should not break the law. Just making sure I'm covered.
    Last edited by Near; 21-Oct-2011 at 01:06.

Of course weed isn't healthy. Most pot smokers will probably agree on that. The problem is that there are WORSE things out there that are perfectly legal. Alcohol is much more dangerous than weed, yet it is socially acceptable. Many people find that unfair; either both substances should be legal or alcohol should be made illegal as well. Based on what happened in the 1930's, the latter isn't such a great idea.

Sorry for playing the devil's advocate, but I believe it should be legal. I don't want to encourage people to smoke it, I just think the consequences of the law are disproportional to dangers of the drug itself.

In case you are wondering, I do not smoke. I did try it once, but it really wasn't my cup of tea.

This is quite honestly the dumbest post I've read all year, and I don't smoke.

The worst thing that can be said about weed is that it smells like shit and that people who are high make really poor company (and eat all your fucking food). Hardly the social blight that legislators seem to think it is.

There is always the comedians' take on such things, of course...

i agree with you totally but for the whole chemo thing its not really a pain killer it just makes them forget the pain more than it making it go away,

it more gives the patient an apatite so they can eat to keep there immune system up .

i also think they should make it legal only for medical reasons that are serious those poor people that need it have to wait in long ass lines now because they give prescriptions to anyone now, even if its for something stupid like "oh i stubbed my toe i need weed " and whats funny is they actually give prescriptions to people like that just because they have 200 dollars or so to pay for a card its sad.

While at one time I would of agreed with the TC. I now think that weed should be legalized but have taxes on par with tobacco and alcohol products. I'd also say harsh drugs should be legal too, but under the strictes guide lines. This war on drugs any country, especially the united states have been waging has done little. Progams such as D.A.R.E and other government funded programs to keep people off drugs should always exist.

However, I think the most effective way to keep people off drugs is to have them watch Requiem for a Dream and documentaries about drug use and make A Scanner Darkly or any other movie that shows the true effects of drugs.

In short I don't really care about drugs, nor their users. Long as they don't hurt anyone but themselves, let them consume as little or as much drugs as they want.

But because they are human and humans can sometimes be dumbfuck's. The first time their actions while high, proceeding to get high or stealing (etc) to get high, their permits for drug usage get's taken away and they go to jail for at least a year. Also not this thing we call a prison system, but a jail that might as well be from 1850.