Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Touchpad

Default HP Touchpad

Anyone get their hands on an HP touchpad this weekend?

If you haven't heard, HP discontinued them and the price dropped from 499/599 to 99/149 respectively for the 16/32gb models. Pretty crazy stuff.

I myself was able to order several from amazon and costcentral. I hope that they are at least useable as tablet computers. Will be nice to have around the house and CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

I was an hour late to the party. I heard they were gone from Walmart and Best Buy within an hour of opening. Too bad...I could'a used something for tethering with my phone.

Personnally, I wouldn't touch any WebOS devices with a barge poll at this point! (sorry cm90210!)

It's highly likely that it'll become a dead platform very quickly after HP's announcement. Microsoft is already offering anyone who was developing apps for WebOS free Windows Phone 7 devices and other goodies to help them switch over to it's platform, and it wouldn't surprise me if Google was reaching out to these people as well.

If you're only looking for some basic web browsing and email you may be OK, however I'd advise being aware that extra apps and games are likely to dry up fairly quickly and that the lack of OS updates means unfixed bugs and no new features in the future.

Myself, I'm waiting for Nokia's Mango-based phones to hit the shelves later is year. Nokia's hardware and camera tech with Microsoft's software could be a really killer combination!

I'm happy with my Acer Iconia A500 Android tablet

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

I was going to go and get myself one, at $99 it's a steal and even if it becomes a dead platform straight away it still would have been nice to have. However, the soonest I can get somewhere that sells them is Saturday, by which time it's probably too late. I'll try though.

By the way, are HP offering some kind of re - imbursment to anyone who bought one before the fire sale? I'm just curious to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf3188 View Post
    By the way, are HP offering some kind of re - imbursment to anyone who bought one before the fire sale? I'm just curious to know.
    Likely not, HP doesn't owe early adopters anything and HP isn't making new tablets anytime soon and Palm is dead. The best case for a refund is getting in a price drop policy which is only good for a week on HP's own online store I think.

Apples conquest of the tablet market was swift and decisive. It's funny how only in death the HP touchpad becomes a bst seller on amazon and what not. Rumor has it that HP is readying their last batch of Touchpads later this week. Stay posted.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    I'm happy with my Acer Iconia A500 Android tablet

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
    Here here! I haven't regretting getting mine when Staples did their $100 off coupon.

On the note of Android there is a public bounty for someone to move Android onto the Touchpad. Take it with a grain of salt though, I'm not suggesting buying something with the hope of the success of a such a project. Additionally it'll only have Gingerbread (Android for smartphones) and not Honeycomb (Android for tablets) as Honeycomb hasn't been and won't be open sourced. Here's looking for Ice Cream Sandwhich soon when the OS'es are merged.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Here here! I haven't regretting getting mine when Staples did their $100 off coupon.

On the note of Android there is a public bounty for someone to move Android onto the Touchpad. Take it with a grain of salt though, I'm not suggesting buying something with the hope of the success of a such a project. Additionally it'll only have Gingerbread (Android for smartphones) and not Honeycomb (Android for tablets) as Honeycomb hasn't been and won't be open sourced. Here's looking for Ice Cream Sandwhich soon when the OS'es are merged.
    How large a bounty? Anything under six-figures isn't going to get responses, I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

Are you saying the Acer A500 dont have Honeycomb