Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel really 'old' right now.

Default I feel really 'old' right now.

I feel about ten years older than what I presently am, The last eight years of my life seem like yesterday, like a complete time shift. Has anyone else felt the same?

I know exactly the feeling!

I mean what the hell happened to my life when i wasn´t looking?

I think it happens after you get out of school...

In school things are different on a daily basis, your life is changing dramatically every year, and you are constantly absorbing new stuff.

You of course do all this to a degree in adult hood.. but (at least for most) not at nearly the rate you do when you are in school.

You get a stable job.. you get a house.. day to day life becomes generally the same and as you said.. months just drift by... sometimes years. "oh, is it Christmas again.. didn't we just do that?".

There is a belief that people generally live a huge majority (70&-90% I've heard) of their perceived lives by the age of 21. Depressing but I believe it. When I think to how long a "school year" felt .. compared to how the years seem to whiz by now.. it makes a lot of sense.

You are 22! Sorry I'z got 30 years on you and time flies by faster every year so I can't feel too sorry for you. Have some fun, live your live and don't worry about how fast it seems to go by. Only if you sit and worry about life passing you by will it. Don't fear being old fear thinking you are.

Yep, I say all the time that my son makes me feel old. He is turning 10 this year and I look at him and think, "Wait, I should still be 20!"

Well,,,,

I know how it goes, the older you get the quicker years pass.

I did actually loose a year about a year ago....weird being in hospital and laid up for a year...that year did just sorta vanish.

So viva la vida...live the life...live each day to it's fullest.

You know how long you've been going so far, but don't know how far you still have to go, but let's all live every day we are here to it's fullest.

Anyhow enough of my ramblings...it's 4am and I've gotta be up by 8...

B

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    I think it happens after you get out of school...
    "oh, is it Christmas again.. didn't we just do that?".
    i was in infant school when i first had that sense. totally cabbaged my head.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    There is a belief that people generally live a huge majority (70&-90% I've heard) of their perceived lives by the age of 21. Depressing but I believe it. When I think to how long a "school year" felt .. compared to how the years seem to whiz by now.. it makes a lot of sense.
    i have my own theory about our perception of time: a person can only truely conceive of a period hence, by half their years.
    eg, a 10 year old can't truely conceive of a life or world beyond their being the age of 15, and a 15 year old beyond their being 22.5, etc.
    that ties in with the theory of a ratio of life lived, to explain the perception of time flying by. for a 10 year old, a year is 10% of their life, but for a 20 Year old, it's 'only' 5%. no wonder kids get bored quickly.
    i remember that when i was just a wee sprog, an hour lasted forever, but now it's just not long enough.

it's not just the perception of time that alters though, is it? events become more and more trivial and trite, thereby helping time speed along ever faster; and causing friction between young and old.
    Last edited by ade; 19-Aug-2011 at 00:30. Reason: clarified a statement

Everything went slow up until graduation, that was 2003. Just last year... NO WAIT! That was 8 years AGO? Holy *bad word*!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ABalex View Post
    Everything went slow up until graduation, that was 2003. Just last year... NO WAIT! That was 8 years AGO? Holy *bad word*!!!
    lol
    you won't believe how fast the noughties have gone for me.........that fast (so fast that i've only just stopped referring the nineties in the present tense).
    but, one good thing about getting older is that you don't have to worry as much about remembering other peoples' birthdays as you have the very true excuse of not even remembering your own. saves a fortune

My wife and I talk about this all the time. The upside is that eventually you get near retirement. I can't wait. Then I'll feel like the little kid I was when I was too young to go to school. I'm just going to stay home and play.