Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you customize your network?

Default How do you customize your network?

I haven't done much, I have a linksys WRT-320N, I just set the QoS to high for my brothers 2 computers, and my 2 computers. I use WPA Personal PSK AES, and thats about it. I plan on flashing DDWRT but that will be some time in the near future.

What about you?

I use a DOCSIS 3.0 gigabit modem as the base, that is hooked up to a linksys E2500 N+ Dual band router, flashed with DDWRT. It has WPA Personal PSK with a freakishly long password, no guest SSID, and the SSID is not hidden, but is not the default one, it is a random string of numbers and letters. I do all of my connections to the router using the protected setup with codes, so it makes it a hell of a lot easier on me, and a lot more secure.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by mchp82 View Post
    ...I plan on flashing DDWRT but that will be some time in the near future.What about you?
    Naw I don't think I will be flashing anybody, besides its illegal in this country. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by acorn
    Naw I don't think I will be flashing anybody, besides its illegal in this country. Sorry
    If that was a joke, lol. If it wasnt, you misinterpreted the statement. Flashing (in this case) essentially means to replace the OEM firmware with other firmware, or updating OEM firmware.

I run 3 physically isolated networks (two separate switches and a wap): an internal, external, and wireless network.

My internal network is used to link my internal file server, desktop, and about 6 other boxes (don't want to be to specific as I've discussed my setup in great detail elsewhere). SSH, internal web server, and a variety of other services are only made available on this internal network. I use shorewall as an iptables frontend, and gentoo on most of my boxes.

My external network has a gateway on it that allows access to the web. Most of my boxes are on both networks.. the exceptions being third party stuff like printers and game consoles.

I use m0n0wall on an old P1 as a router/firewall .. the external net and my wap are connected through separate physical interfaces and run as isolated networks, with some strict routing rules that allow a little crossover. WAP is mainly for when friends come over, and is basically just there to give people internet access.

The internal net is not connected to the router at all.. and is configured statically.

I'm not a tinfoil hat type or anything.. I just enjoy this kinda stuff.. and as I already had all the hardware and make my own cables... it was essentially free to set this up (just a matter of software, which is all open source).

I have a router box I built with untangle on it. It has a lot of great features on it like spyware, ad blocker, QoS and VPN. Itís really solid too! I had it running for over 200 days until I finally lost power and it reset the count. Also run a virtual server thatís running a few web servers and a file server. Being able to access all my data and movies anywhereÖ priceless

I'm not a tinfoil hat type or anything..
    haha. Whenever I VPN back into my network because I donít trust the public one I am on, I feel like a tinfoil hat is mandatory! <]:P

Quote Originally Posted by milestails View Post
    haha. Whenever I VPN back into my network because I donít trust the public one I am on, I feel like a tinfoil hat is mandatory! <]:P
    I feel the same way :P too bad my server got shut off, I'm on vacation, and their internet (on all nine networks in range) have horrible signals, and horrid speeds >.<

at least I know my firewall's paranoid mode really is paranoid :P

I'm on vacation, and their internet (on all nine networks in range) have horrible signals, and horrid speeds >.<
    I know how that goes... I find it very sad when I look up their providers and see how much $$$ they are paying for almost no bandwith. Although, I do usually vacation to somewhat remote locations.

I usually fall back to the cell phone connection if I have problems. Would rather have crappy speeds then be connected to a shady network or a pineapple.

It's kind of hard to describe how my network is configured as it uses a really strange setup to provide separate wireless connections for our DS Lites, Guests, and our own computers. Essentially though unless you're authenticated to the the wireless network on our WPA2-Enterprise enabled SSID, you don't get anything other than than minimal access required to get on the Internet.

RADIUS authenticated users get more access, but 99% of the services still won't work unless you have a separate client certificate in your personal certificate store

All traffic on the RADIUS authenticated network has higher priority than the the others, http traffic has lowest priority, ssh traffic has the highest, and everything else fights in the middle ground.

Pretty uninspired. Linksys AM200 modem and a WRT54GL router running Tomato. Long WPA-PSK password, changed SSID and disabled DHCP.