Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK and Diapers

Default UK and Diapers

hi, as a member from the UK I am always slightly paranoid that I will make reference to nappies as diapers and then thinking that it will be the undoing of my secret!
    Well I know that last bit is a bit much, but anyhow, I was out with old friends at the Edinburgh festival and talking about being in suh fits of laughter that I could barely breathe when one of my friends said I might need Tena pants or a diaper! I thought this was a little wierd! there is no chance he is a member here but I was wondering if the UK is becoming more Americanised (Americanized) with common words?
    Ideas on a postcard!

Hi we probably arecertainly with the literacy levels of children leaving school now we are bound to get some dumming down. Persoanlly and partly because of my age disposables or cloth will always be nappies and pants will be rubbers, even if I have to explain that to our american friends.

I've noticed a trend towards "diapers" as well. It seems particularly common amongst families where English hasn't been the general language for many generations, eg half-Asian friends. I guess American tv and general culture has such a significant impact on the rest of the world that it will spread...

I definitely blame Americanisationism as the root of all evil.
    I always called them 'nappies'...
    I like the word 'nappies'...
    Then I met a Finnish guy - where it seems they only really get American stuff - and he called them 'diapers'.
    This meant whenever we discussed the subject between us, I naturally started calling them 'diapers'.
    Subsequently, I have, in conversation with a friend and another with my Mum, inadvertently called them 'diapers' and immediately felt like a fucking idiot!
    Paranoia set in, worrying that they would think why - of all the Americanised words I may have come into contact with - 'diapers' is the one that stuck...
    ... Ridiculous!

Thankfully, the balance has shifted back now!

i've found that when im online my vocab becomes very american as most of the people I speak with are from the US, IRL however I am the most english person you could speak with

Quote Originally Posted by stevieab View Post
    I was wondering if the UK is becoming more Americanised (Americanized) with common words?
    Ideas on a postcard!
    'diaper' is an english word; of course, the reason why a Briton would use a word which has fallen out of fashion in Britian would mainly be due to media consumption.
    but, within your post, i'm more interested with your deliberation over the use of 's' or 'z': i'm confused, too. i've been keeping my eye out for a 'general rule' or pattern to this (many english spellings also use a 'z' over the 's'), but i haven't come up with anything yet. anyone who knows, speak now or forever hold my piece.

despite all that, and despite the obvious americanization of various things, i've been surprised (surprized? ) at how certain phrases are understood, over yon'; things which you would expect to be exclusively british can often turn out to be american, too. of course, many of these phrases are considered to be 'old use' or of a particular class or locale. still, it gives an insight to the real workings of american culture, as opposed to the one we're fed by the media.

i also wonder what the american view is of the media representation of them and their culture? naturally, that's bearing in mind that we, in Britain, have our views based on a select selection of representations; perhaps the whole picture (as shown by american media, in America) is quite a bit different?
    whatever the case, based on the odd snippets of american daily life and it's nitty-gritty, i get the impression that there's a whole 'nother world which we don't get to see.

additionally, in terms of what and how we select our americanizations, you have to bear in mind that what we are presented with to choose from, is largely a matter of an americana for and by urbanites and city dwellers; they, by their nature, are mostly immigrants [to the cities and such] who've traded thier previous identities and cultures for pieces of eight; so have you question if those slices of americana, really are american?

that should close the circle enough.

btw, my current favourite slice of americana is, Searching for the Wrong-eyed Jesus. the influence of that is, i think, confined to an increasing curiosity about the real America.
    wish you were here?

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanSuperman View Post
    I definitely blame Americanisationism as the root of all evil.
    I always called them 'nappies'...
    I like the word 'nappies'...
    Then I met a Finnish guy - where it seems they only really get American stuff - and he called them 'diapers'.
    This meant whenever we discussed the subject between us, I naturally started calling them 'diapers'.
    Well, if you're a non-native speaker and learn English in school, "nappy" or "diaper" is not a word that'll be in the vocabulary you'll learn at school. So it seems natural to pick it up from some movie or book, and those would be mostly American. I can say that I had no clue what the English word for "Windel" was, and had to look it up in a dictionary. Dictionaries tend to give you like 4 different words, and you're left wondering which one is the right one: Nappy, diaper, sanitary napkin, didy(ee) etc. etc.

However, you'll find me saying "diaper", because that's the word generally used in the "scene", and because I speak American anyway, not British English. For me, the word "nappy" would seem just out of place as the word "bloody" (unless someone's leaking blood).

Peachy

Ick. I don't find anything appealing about the word "nappy." It just sits with me wrong, I can't explain why. Strongly prefer "diaper." But for those of you the other way around whatever floats your boat I guess, hehe.

Hmmmm from an Irish persepctive, nappy is the word in common use, although diaper is creeping in. The word nappy appeals, I love when daddies tell me I am to be nappied, being diapered does not have same resonance!! I agree with one of the posters who said that you need to use diapers online in order to link with those of similar interest. Nappy does not register on searches in the same way at all

it could be my age but I have always called them nappies and pants were always called rubbers, which I still tend to use, I would normaally put up brackets and give the american version (diaper and pants) but I don't use the americanism.