View Poll Results: What is your experience level with firearms?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Little or no experience

26 39.39%
  • Medium

28 42.42%
  • Extensive

12 18.18%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your experience with firearms (Guns)

Default Your experience with firearms (Guns)

I am curious about everyone's experience with firearms. This has nothing to do with government gun control. Please use the Gun Control thread for that discussion. The following questions are what I am mainly interest to learn with this thread.

1. What level of experience do you have with firearms?

2. How knowledgeable are you on firearms? Is your knowledge brief, extensive, or in between?

3. Do you know the difference between repeating, semi-automatic, fully automatic, and machine gun?

4. Do you understand the different cartridge designators?

5. What are your thoughts on you personally owning or using a firearm? Please leave government policy out of this.

Please provide supporting details for each answer except question 3.

I've shot rifles and shotguns in boy scouts. I know the safety procedures and everything, how to clean them, ect.

I'd say medium.

I used a few 22's, and own 1, ruger auto. and my younger brother has a 44 a ruger super black hawk, and my father had a few shot guns, and a winchester carbine, I think it was his prize possession.

I can shoot and hit what I aim at, but thats about it for me with guns, ever since my cousin was killed with a 22, by one of his freinds just screwing around, I don't want anything to do with a gun, except for killing pests like squrrils.

I've only shot a rifle a few times and a shotgun once over a 40 year span of time, which pretty much tells you what the answers to questions 2, 3, and 4 are going to be. The two instances where I've used a firearm was with family members target shooting in an old slate quarry near Rance, and groundhog hunting on a farm with a friend (I missed, he didn't) who liked groundhog meat.

Couldn't tell you a thing about the firearms I used except that one was a .22 rifle and the other a 12 gauge shotgun, at the quarry. The .22 had a clip to hold the rounds and a bolt to load and expel the shells. Not sure what rifle I used on the farm. It did take larger rounds than a .22 and was a lot louder, too!

5. What are your thoughts on you personally owning or using a firearm? Please leave government policy out of this.

I honestly have no desire whatsoever to own any type of firearm. Target shooting might be fun, but I can do that with my son's pellet rifle just as easily.

~Pramrider

xdeadx

1. What level of experience do you have with firearms? None =P

2. How knowledgeable are you on firearms? Is your knowledge brief, extensive, or in between? Brief

3. Do you know the difference between repeating, semi-automatic, fully automatic, and machine gun?
    Yes

Nopes

I guess it's okay to have them for protection. Guns are scary though I wouldn't own one.

i shot a rifle at a shooting range one time with my uncle thats about it
    i dont really like guns that rifle scared the s*** out of me i forgot it would kick back ^^ lol

Extensive. My family (dad's side, anyway) and myself are big-time hunters. We also like shooting competitively, IOW, for sport.

2. How knowledgeable are you on firearms? Is your knowledge brief, extensive, or in between?

Pretty extensive. My father was a big, hardcore Army guy before I was born. When he left the Army after my mom had me, He brought home rifles that were his during his time served -- which are still legally issued by the United States Army. About when I was 11 or 12, he started having me go through training and lessons on weapon safety, etc. When I was 14, I went to rifle academy through the US Marine Corps. and when I was 15, I went to Marksman Academy through the US Navy (<-- ROTC). I graduated from Marksman Academy pretty high, with an overall rank of 19 out of 20 (average for graduates are between 12 and 17). When I got home, I got my hunting license (now 16).

Of course -- and, I think "machine gun" qualifies as Fully Automatic. And, what, no burst? Who can forget the M16-A2/A4 ? As well as all the other burst-fire firearms? Also; don't forget firearm "classes"; LMG (Light Machine Gun), SMG (Submachine gun), etc.

Yes. Was the biggest thing they drove into your skull during Marksman Academy.

My thoughts? *looks over to 500lbs locker in basement* Firearms are great tools, and are great things to help you carry out a very fun hobby. JUST USE THEM RIGHT!!

My only experience with a gun was when I was in Cubs (like Scouts, but when you are a little younger). We got to shoot handguns, the Scouts got to handle bigger guns, but handguns were still cool. This was when we camped at this activity site that had a firing range.

Apart from that, I haven't touched a gun, since they're illegal, and I'm not in a gang!

I've never had any experience with firearms, only kept a shotgun in my hand when I was a child (not loaded).
    The only weapon I used were the soft air guns, but only at Luna Park.

As for knowledge, I know the name the parts of a gun and some kind of shotgun's bullet, since my granddad liked hunting and I followed him sometimes.
    The only weapons I "know" are the guns that appears in war video games and the M1 Garand (Dad told me about it because he used it while during his military service),

as for Use, I think the should be used only for Hunting and with A LOT of attention.

Well having spent 20 years in the Military I had extensive experiences with fire arms and weapons. From the 5.56 mm M-16 A1 and A2 to the 106 Recoilless Rifle(a Anti Tank Gun). I also worked on a few type of Surface to Air Missile systems too. One of the Highlights of my career was firing a Chaparral missile(a ground launched Sidewinder). This was in 1986 on the island of Crete in the Mediterranean.