View Poll Results: Are you going to drink Kool-Aid in its hometown?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • Maybe

0 0%
  • No

7 87.50%
  • No, but I want to.

0 0%
  • What Is Kool-Aid anyways?

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kool-Aid Days

Default Kool-Aid Days

It's finally here: Kool-Aid days is about to hit off in it's birthplace of Hastings, Nebraska. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend because I will be too busy stuffing my face in Lincoln at Ribfest. In all your life, would you've wanted to go to Kool-Aid days? Are you going?

I'll be the first to ask: What the heck is Kool-Aid days?

Kool-Aid days marks the Anniversary of the well known (among kids) drink mix Kool-Aid. Every year there is a celebration involving all kinds of fun (some barely related to Kool-Aid, like the UP mini-train ride). There are also bands that come and play (mostly country, some old rock) and fireworks that get lit off (no, not by residents, but by paid pros). I don't know what else to say.

So, in a nutshell, it's a birthday party for Kool-Aid?

What year did Kool Aid come on the market? I remember it being around for at least since the mid-1950s. It only came unsweetened back then, and a package (which their TV ads mentioned made 2 quarts) was only five cents. Definitely the cheapest fruit flavored Summer drink we had as kids, even with adding in the cost of some sugar.

~Pramrider

It was available all the way back in the 1920's, where you could mail-order it. Up until 1927, it was called Fruit Smack.

I don't LIKE Kool-Aid! I don't remember liking it as a kid, even! I much preferred water or iced tea.

My best to all,

Binkey

Why'd they change the name, Fruit Smack is way better! I like the blue Kool-Aid, but I don't think they make it anymore...at least it's not in the store when I look for it. As for your question, I shant be going but only because it's too far away.

>>There are also bands that come and play (mostly country, some old rock) and fireworks that get lit off (no, not by residents, but by paid pros). <<

That last part is FUN!!! There's nothing like the adrenaline rush of standing 3' from the mouth of a 6" diameter mortar, highway flare in hand, as a shell lifts out of the tube! Fire, smoke, concussion, sparks, and sometimes a low burst with stars falling on your back. Smoke gets so thick it can be hard to see well, but you just grab the next fuse cap, rip it off, and touch the flare to teh fuse. A second later, just enough time to turn your back, it all starts up again with fire, smoke........

Amazing way to have fun on a hot, hot summer day!

My best to you...

Binkey (who did professional fireworks for over 20 years)

Quote Originally Posted by binkey View Post
    >>There are also bands that come and play (mostly country, some old rock) and fireworks that get lit off (no, not by residents, but by paid pros). <<

That last part is FUN!!! There's nothing like the adrenaline rush of standing 3' from the mouth of a 6" diameter mortar, highway flare in hand, as a shell lifts out of the tube! Fire, smoke, concussion, sparks, and sometimes a low burst with stars falling on your back. Smoke gets so thick it can be hard to see well, but you just grab the next fuse cap, rip it off, and touch the flare to teh fuse. A second later, just enough time to turn your back, it all starts up again with fire, smoke........
    First off those are NOT professional's at all. Fireworks motars can and SHOULD be set off via electronic wiring.

Second: That's easily within the top five most retard, stupid, idiotic, suicidal things I've ever heard on the internet since I've been on it from about 1996 or so just from a safety standpoint Seriously if anyone died from a shell exploding on the ground a mere 3 feet from there head. They will get NO sympathy from me and would easily win the darwin award for that year. If you or anyone you know actually does this they should stop now and never do it again, period.

Note: im not calling the poster a idiot, retarded, etc. Im calling the act of anyone standing so close to firing firework motor's stupid, retard, illogical, suicidal, etc.