Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petition going around to force gay marriage on a pair of striaght friends.

Default Petition going around to force gay marriage on a pair of striaght friends.

Okay, it's exactly what it sounds like but isn't at the same time. Theres a petition going online to let Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street to get/be married. Despite that 1. Their not gay nor sexual at all 2. Their not even real people, their muppet's.

Gay Rights Petition: Let Bert & Ernie Get Married On Sesame Street | Change.org

I think this is insanely stupid only because their not gay at all nor has it been implied that their gay, straight, asexual. etc. It's sort of like this.

Agreed, this is insanely stupid, my friend, I totally agree with you. I never thought of Bert and Ernie as gay, but just good friends. And yeah, just let them be, they're not even real people, but Muppets. LOL. This just makes me shake my head a little....

WildThing121675

sheesh Fire2Box let it go - would it really do the show any harm to develop the characters a little so we got to see their romantic lives? I know it isn't cannon that Bert and Ernie are gay, but would it hurt the show if they got changed into a gay couple?

This is the problem when adults watch media for children though - because they weren't created with adult relationships in mind, they have gaps where more complex elements such as romance would be, so we start seeing things that aren't there based on our adult experience.

On the other hand - Captain Mildred and Mary the Hover Fairy from Charlie Chalk were DEFINITELY a couple....
    http://youtu.be/0faV8AnpYzo
    Last edited by MsClara; 11-Aug-2011 at 01:00.

No offense but, Burt and Ernie are characters on an early childhood development tv show. I don't understand why they are petitioning for this. Marriage isn't something kids think about until they get to that Justin Bieber phase age. And that is mostly girls. It's a dumb petition, almost as the one changing Cookie Monster to Veggie Monster.

I'm not homophobic in any way. But, this is something a little down the road to talk about.

Then we're gonna have more religious nuts out there that try to get everything banned start picketing outside of the Seasame Street studio.

Their friendship is more like Spongebob and Squidward. They aren't that good of friends.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by riddle View Post
    sheesh Fire2Box let it go - would it really do the show any harm to develop the characters a little so we got to see their romantic lives? I know it isn't cannon that Bert and Ernie are gay, but would it hurt the show if they got changed into a gay couple?

This is the problem when adults watch media for children though - because they weren't created with adult relationships in mind, they have gaps where more complex elements such as romance would be, so we start seeing things that aren't there based on our adult experience.

On the other hand - Captain Mildred and Mary the Hover Fairy from Charlie Chalk were DEFINITELY a couple....
    Charlie Chalk - Mildred's Day Off Episode 10 - YouTube
    First off it's kinda of funny when your saying "let it go" when this is the first time the issue's brought up. Like it's something that shouldn't be discussed at all, yet you go into discussing it anyways.

Your missing the point it seems. Bert and Ernie were designed to be and are friends/roommates. There have been relationships on the show before but between the human actors. The only relations I've seen muppets have been friendships and parental relationships like the two woolly mammoths.

You said the problem is when adults watch media for children. Well your right there, we got adults petitioning to make two non-sexual muppets to become sexual and likely sleep in the same bed as well. They sleep in different beds in the same room.

Then lastly it's official that they aren't gay at all. snopes.com: Gay Sesame Street Muppet

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    No offense but, Burt and Ernie are characters on an early childhood development tv show. I don't understand why they are petitioning for this. Marriage isn't something kids think about until they get to that Justin Bieber phase age. And that is mostly girls. It's a dumb petition, almost as the one changing Cookie Monster to Veggie Monster.

I'm not homophobic in any way. But, this is something a little down the road to talk about.

Then we're gonna have more religious nuts out there that try to get everything banned start picketing outside of the Seasame Street studio.
    actually it's not true that kids don't think about marriage until they're in the Justin Bieber phase - did you guys never get forced into playing the "mummies and daddies" game by the girls in your kindergarten when you were kids?

This issue isn't specific to lesbian and gay people, before the 1990s there weren't many examples of divorced / single parents on screen or in kids books, but I don't think anyone would be bothered by seeing a single mom/dad character on Sesame Street (they may have one now, I haven't seen it since about 1993.) This is just so that kids who are brought up by gay couples can feel a bit less weird because there's an example of people like their parents on the screen.

---------- Post added at 02:14 ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Your missing the point it seems. Bert and Ernie were designed to be and are friends/roommates. There have been relationships on the show before but between the human actors. The only relations I've seen muppets have been friendships and parental relationships like the two woolly mammoths.

You said the problem is when adults watch media for children. Well your right there, we got adults petitioning to make two non-sexual muppets to become sexual and likely sleep in the same bed as well. They sleep in different beds in the same room.

Then lastly it's official that they aren't gay at all. snopes.com: Gay Sesame Street Muppet
    By why is that a big deal? A little Ret Con might be hard for the fanboys to take - but tbh I doubt the kids would care that hard.
    Question: are there any couples on Sesame Street at all? It's ages since I've watched it, but Bert and Ernie as a couple needn't be any more "sexual" than any other husband/wife in kids TV.

Quote Originally Posted by riddle View Post
    By why is that a big deal? A little Ret Con might be hard for the fanboys to take - but tbh I doubt the kids would care that hard.
    Question: are there any couples on Sesame Street at all? It's ages since I've watched it, but Bert and Ernie as a couple needn't be any more "sexual" than any other husband/wife in kids TV.
    It's a big deal since outside forces are pushing to pretty much write plots for a show they clearly know nothing about in a effort to force sesame street to teach about gay issues. As it's been made clear the muppets aren't gay and there's even been times bert serenade girls with songs. Not to mention he always seemingly fought with erine. This is a issue for the writers and producer to decide, not for outside groups to impose their views of fantasy/rumors in a thinly veiled attempt to push for social change on a historic show.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    It's a big deal since outside forces are pushing to pretty much write plots for a show they clearly know nothing about in a effort to force sesame street to teach about gay issues. As it's been made clear the muppets aren't gay and there's even been times bert serenade girls with songs. Not to mention he always seemingly fought with erine. This is a issue for the writers and producer to decide, not for outside groups to impose their views of fantasy/rumors in a thinly veiled attempt to push for social change on a historic show.
    So is it just that you find the petition for a specific change in the show's characters to be presumptuous on the part of the creators of the petition?
    I don't necessarily think it would be such a great idea that Eric and Ernie become confirmed as a gay couple, but it doesn't offend me that people would ask for such a thing.
    If you're part of a group that's under-represented in media then petitioning program makes may be the only way to change that fact - you can't really switch over and let your kid watch the children's program with the gay characters, can you? I think it's fair enough though that people ask program makers for children's media to reflect children's lives, and now-a-days and in the near future quite a few kids are going to have gay parents, or their friends' parents are gay.

I think they should let the show be the way the show was created. They aren't straight, they aren't gay. There on sesame street! Period.

Trying to change a children's show because of social change is stupid. Besides there is still a lot of gay marriage opposition, so is it really a good idea to bring a children's show into the middle of a major social and political debate?