Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diapers and Health Clinic... What to do...

Default Diapers and Health Clinic... What to do...

Okay so I wear diapers, we know that. I have had/have problems with my bladder but generally not severe enough to justify full blown diapers. Essentially if I hold it too often for too long, I slowly lose the ability to "feel" when I need to go, and I start dribbling, can't empty fully, and in a few bad instances I lost completely control for a few days, particularly in coordination with certain medications. Generally if I go often when I need to I am fine, but I do still dribble randomly occasionally - never anything severe though. I do find though, that especially when I'm working or in a place where I can't go often enough, my bladder gets worse and I lose more control. I essentially could use pull-on diapers, but I only use them when I'm at home because the toilet is always right there. When I'm out, I wear full-blown diapers for 2 reasons. I) In many cases I really can't always get there, like at work, I can't be leaving every 30 mins II) My infantilist side says if I'm going to wear any kind of diaper, I might as well wear a real one.

Often during the day at least, I would have few if any real accidents on a regular basis, if I had constant access to a washroom...but I'm torn because I feel that because I "up-scale" the diapers to a full-blown brief, that I really don't need (except on a few occasions or night or whatever), that I'm not incontinent enough or whatever to justify it. This one thing has been something that bounces around in my head every so often.

And this brings me to the main reason for this thread. I finally have a nurse practitioner (basically no doctors where I live in Canada, so I was on a 2 year waiting list just to get one of these, and she's between a nurse and a doctor anyway), but now she wants to do a full physical exam of me. I neglected to inform her of my condition when she asked about everything, and I'd feel stupid on both fronts, because it's embarrassing as hell. Like saying "I dribble sometimes, but I wear briefs instead of other products because I like them", kind of sounds dumb, not to mention discounts the fact that there is some problem genuinely there. Also I'm temporarily on welfare (new job next week), and the worker had kind of hinted at the fact that, "if there are any other medical conditions or anything, we can cover it" ... something like that, but again, I feel torn that my condition doesn't really justify full-blown briefs, so I bought them anyway, but I would otherwise be able to have them cover them. Either way, my real dilemma is surrounding the health centre - I'm expected to be ready for a "full exam" of everything, but I don't know what I should do or say.... Any help please? What do you guys think? I never knew what to really say if a hospital ever asked either....

EDIT: Plus there's the fact that I'm kind of a control freak, lol in that I'd rather choose to wet myself than to wet uncontrolably under any circumstances, even if the accident would be just a dribble.

Not even sure if this is the right spot for this, but I'd rather be wrong and it be here than inappropriately in a less Mature forum.
    Last edited by BabyKat; 09-Aug-2011 at 00:25.

You need to talk to them about the need, perhaps there is something they can do to restore partial if not full control.

Beyond that the explanation is simple, you need a product and you chose the one that you liked best.

You can always state the obvious that the briefs preform better than the pull ups, and that you have more confidence in them than the other products you have tried.

I have some what the same problem.i have a auutoimmune neurological disorder (neurosarcoidosis) I don't feel the need to go when setting but if i set for a long time while driving and then stop somewhere to shop or go to a appointment i find myself needed to go right then.
    Yes pull ups work but they are very hard to change in a public restroom.

I wear a diaper with a stuffer when i travel so if i have a problem i don't need to find a restroom to change if i leak.
    I would not even tell the doctor i am a DL because its not relevant to the problem.
    Being a DL just means that i know how to take care of the problem.

In this case, i think the best thing would be to go with what you are going to feel most comfortable in overall. Yes it is difficult to decide whether to wear a full-brief or a pull-up but the thing is, the nurse is a health practitioner and I'm sure she would have seen warts, hair, cuts and grazes and everything in between (if you catch my drift). So wearing a diaper shouldn't be anything new to her, especially considering that you actually need them. However, i wouldn't worry about the nurse asking why you are wearing a full-brief as opposed to a pull-up. Because you can always say that you get concerned about having accidents when out and feel that the pull-ups don't work as well when you are unsure of how far it will be to a bathroom or how long you might have to wait around. That would be a perfectly reasonable answer to her asking why (Which i don't think she will anyways). But i will say that ultimately, you need to go feeling comfortable with what you are wearing. And just as a side note, even if you go in a pull-up, it is still a diaper, just a different form so realistically, the nurse will see you in some kind of diaper. Therefore, pick which one you feel will be the best option. And good luck with your appointment, hope that they can figure something out for you to make things better.

Hi babyKAt,
    firstly it sounds as if you have a form of urge incontinenec or detruser bladder, both of which are recognised problems and you should really be open and honest with your nurse, that is the only way he/she will be able to help you properly, a full exam may not be as intimidating as it sounds, it wil probably be things like weight, heigtht, bloodpressure, urine sample, possibly blood samples and possibly an ultra sound scan ( cold but not invasive). Depending on what they find and what you tell your nurse may mean you get called backed for urodynamics (Urodynamic investigations) and an internal look at the bladder (Cystoscopy) (Understanding a Cystoscopy or a Cystoscopic Examination - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com), both investigations are invasive and uncomfortable although rarely very painful.

Wow, lots answers very quickly. First PCBaby, they are doing blood tests and urine sample and all that before I even go. The appointment is in like 2 months and 2 weeks before I go I have to go to a lab somewhere and get the tests done before the appointment. The thing is, this is the first time I've had any sort of "doctor" of any kind and she wants a full exam of me...Even down there. If I was able to just wear without having to strip down to a gown that would be fine, and I wouldn't say a thing about it...but I specifically asked and she explained what she wants to do and I'm in between a rock and a hard place... I didn't tell her why I didn't want that, but whatever. Honestly I don't care what's wrong with my bladder anymore... it's been so long I'm used to it. I tried to get "fixed" a few years ago, that only made it worse. I know what makes it worse and what doesn't, and I avoid those situations and it's generally good lately. I'm just at the stage where I will wear in public and not mention it, and as long as noone says anything and it's not brought up, it just is and I let others draw their own conclusions. I can wear in front of just about anyone, it's just I don't like exposing myself like that... And I know being AB is irrelevant to the problem, but it is the reason for my choice of underwear. And it doesn't matter whether I'm wearing a pull-up or brief (though the pull-up still feels slightly less embarrassing), it's awkward any way you look at it. And also to be clear, I'm not going there because of my bladder issues, but solely because I finally after years of waiting, have some degree of a doctor. But ya, she wants me wearing no clothes for a full exam...

Hi babyKat,
    if I were yoy I'd turn up to the exam in pull ups,, they can easily be removed for that part of the exam and if she asks you can tell her your concerns about the dribbling. Over here inthe UK you normally get given a pair of what look paper ladies panties to wear to cover your embarressment. I've just checked your profile so I know you are a teen but I don't know if you are a boy or a girl, I would think a girl from the name but in either case intimate exams are embarrassing for anyone, the best thing to do is to try to relax as much as possible, drink as you normally would before the exam (or if any special instructions follow those), as you don't want to be dehydrated in a warm office and under stress as well you could faint! Once in there and she gets to the intimaate part of the exam ask her to explaain what she is going to do and why she needs to do it, again if she asks, just explain as calmly as you can that you are very neervous and very embarressed by everything that is happening. When I was a kid household nudity didn't ever come up unless it was me that was naked, so I had real hang ups about body image and being seen outside the family without at least vest and pants on. According to my mum (now dead thank god), when I was about 7 I saw a baby girl being changed for the first time ever, apparently I just stood and stared and stared as untilthen I didn't know there was a difference, I tyhought everyone looked like me under their clothes. So some anxiety will always be present at exams and that anxiety is increased if you have some form of IC, I should know I have had some form of IC for 56 years and I still don't like seeing my ic nurse for a physical or a re-assessment such as I havae just gone through. I would swear the nurse that came round was about 12 ( she obviously wasn't) I've also had a couple of bad experiences in hospital with my ic so that adds to my anxiety. SO I have some idea of where you are coming from. Once in the room where the exam is to be held try to keep your breathing slow and calm. Male or female pull ups or non ( and I think you will feel better if you wear something) there is very little your nurse won't have seen or heard over the years she has been training and practising. I hope that helps a little, should you want to talk further you can always reply to this or pm me.

PCBaby

First...

Quote Originally Posted by PCBaby View Post
    I've just checked your profile so I know you are a teen but I don't know if you are a boy or a girl, I would think a girl from the name
    I didn't really update it in a bit... I'm barely not a teen, but ya. And to answer the other...I kind of have gender issues, so that's why the anonymity...

Quote Originally Posted by PCBaby View Post
    Hi babyKat,
    if I were yoy I'd turn up to the exam in pull ups,, they can easily be removed for that part of the exam and if she asks you can tell her your concerns about the dribbling. Over here inthe UK you normally get given a pair of what look paper ladies panties to wear to cover your embarressment.

but in either case intimate exams are embarrassing for anyone, the best thing to do is to try to relax as much as possible, drink as you normally would before the exam (or if any special instructions follow those), as you don't want to be dehydrated in a warm office and under stress as well you could faint! Once in there and she gets to the intimaate part of the exam ask her to explaain what she is going to do and why she needs to do it, again if she asks, just explain as calmly as you can that you are very neervous and very embarressed by everything that is happening. When I was a kid household nudity didn't ever come up unless it was me that was naked, so I had real hang ups about body image and being seen outside the family without at least vest and pants on. According to my mum (now dead thank god), when I was about 7 I saw a baby girl being changed for the first time ever, apparently I just stood and stared and stared as untilthen I didn't know there was a difference, I tyhought everyone looked like me under their clothes. So some anxiety will always be present at exams and that anxiety is increased if you have some form of IC, I should know I have had some form of IC for 56 years and I still don't like seeing my ic nurse for a physical or a re-assessment such as I havae just gone through. I would swear the nurse that came round was about 12 ( she obviously wasn't) I've also had a couple of bad experiences in hospital with my ic so that adds to my anxiety. SO I have some idea of where you are coming from. Once in the room where the exam is to be held try to keep your breathing slow and calm. Male or female pull ups or non ( and I think you will feel better if you wear something) there is very little your nurse won't have seen or heard over the years she has been training and practising. I hope that helps a little, should you want to talk further you can always reply to this or pm me.

PCBaby
    Well... she actually wants to "check" things.... and I really don't want to go all off and start a whole bunch of tests because of it. I don't want that to be the focus, and I'm just so embarrassed about it. Especially since she's looking for a full check-up I'm assuming for those exact kind of things. I guess the worst part, as I said before, is that I'm torn at the fact that I'm also AB, which makes me feel really guilty because I'm really not as bad off as many who have bladder issues. I've already been through tons of tests and medications and I don't want her to go off and forward me to a urologist again...been there, done that. It made it worse, and the guy didn't listen to me. And I was told there's only 2 urologists, in the entire city. Either way... I already caught one doctor by surprise by them in Emergency, and that was embarrassing enough...But he only saw the top of it, and here I think she'll want me to take it off for whatever she's doing... god I hate this.

I'm going to be a bit tough here Kat, but I mean it in a good way

Given that you clearly have a long term medical condition, even if your don't view it as such, if you haven't had any medical attention for a long time then you need that full check up. It's important that your nurse practitioner has a full record of your physical health, so that she's aware of everything for the future.

To use a word from my industry (IT), it's important to have a "baseline" - a set of measurements that record how you are and how your body functions when things are normal - to compare against if you become ill in the future.

I know that's not going to help you feel any more comfortable with the situation unfortunately, however I think it's important that you think about this aspect of it as well.

As to feeling more comfortable about the appointment, in my experience with similar "eek, I reaaaally don't want to do this!!" situations the only way out is through I'm afraid!
    I find it helps to focus on the practicalities. By thinking a lot about what's required, what's best in the long run and focusing on seemingly inconsequential details like what clothing is going to be most suitable (I'd say go with the pull ups by the way ) I can distract myself from that sinking feel in the pit of my stomach and push through to the other side.

The good news is you'll feel really great when you get through the appointment, on top of the world even!

Well, I hope that helps in some small way. Good luck with the appointment

Hi babyKat,
    don't worry yabout the ab side of things, ,unless you tell her she isn't going to know, we don't carry brands on our foreheads,, honest :-) even if sometimes you feel the world knows. As for the IC side there is an entire range from a little leak when you cough or sneeze to full double incontinence which is what I had until the first round of surgery when I was just over 14. The nurse will ant o do the exam to help you with whatever form of IC you have, nothing else, no hidden agenda. Is there anyone you trust enough to go with you to and into the exam with you? and like I said before if you want a private chat just let me know, I know that revealing things anbout yourself in a forum may be intimidating. You sadi you were barely not a teen does that mean you are approaching your 20's?