Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Modding

Default Case Modding

How many of you guys modded your computer cases, and how did you mod it?

I like to do a little modding.. more functional than appearance though.

Probably the most notable thing I do is make/modify the power connectors. It's not actually that hard to do.. and makes a _huge_ difference. The mainboard and 8pin 12V are a must because they are usually awkward to hide and you always end up with a bundle of unused cable that has to be stuffed somewhere. Making a cable to the exact length you need makes things a lot nicer. Making your own sata power cables is also a nice touch .. I tend to go with 1 rail PSUs and as such I can generally have all the peripherals one one line.. with connectors spliced in exactly where they are needed.

I also generally mod LED case fans and put them on a separate circuit such that they are controlled by a switch (along with other lighting effects like cold cathods/LED strips). I like switching on the lighting effects once in a while .. but most of the time I like to have them off (I find the "glare in the corner" distracting when actually using the computer).

Last few computers I've built have been water cooled. Big fan of the danger den stuff (my current desktop is in one of their "water box" acrylic cases) and koolance (pricy but good quality). I don't do much modding with this stuff besides basic things like cutting a hole in the case and putting in a fill port. At some point I want to try a system with submerged pumps and/or dual pumps (in series).. maybe my next box.

The most modding i did was cutting and resoldering some of the psu cables, and using a hole saw to add an extra 80 mm fan with 42.5 VFM and just leave it running full speed with all the others.

---------- Post added 09-08-2011 at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was 07-08-2011 at 23:45 ----------

So I am planning on adding a 120 mm fan to my case (1/8 inch lexan/plexiglass) but i have no hole saw or circle cutter that big. The only way I can thik of is to make a router jig, and cut it that way, but it would be time consuming and a bit risky. Any ideas on ho to cut it?

Don't bother with desktops, but I've modded and repaired 360s and PS3s before!

My server computer runs in a case that I added more fans to, and a servo controlled vent system that opens and closes based on temperature and CPU usage.

alu

i dont know if this counts but about 10 months ago i added the motherboard from my jtaged xbox 360 into my old unused pc tower case, it took ages to get everything to fit perfectly ,but it looks looks exactly like a pc ,and i only ever needed to open it up if i need to reflash or change the hard drive. i sold it for quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mchp82 View Post
    So I am planning on adding a 120 mm fan to my case (1/8 inch lexan/plexiglass) but i have no hole saw or circle cutter that big. The only way I can thik of is to make a router jig, and cut it that way, but it would be time consuming and a bit risky. Any ideas on ho to cut it?
    Best bet is definitely a hole saw.. on a low RPM drill or better a drill press if you have one. Some sacrificial material to keep the plexiglass from flexing (like really stiff cardboard or a piece of scrap wood sheeting) or at the very least masking tape around where the cut will be made. Cut half way through from one side, then flip over and cut the rest of the way through.

Definitely worth investing in a hole saw .. way less effort and I've never tried it but I imagine trying to use a router on plexiglass would be pretty damn hard.

If you have a steady hand, you can use a jigsaw (low speed fine blade) ... just be sure to cover _both_ sides with lots (I'd go with 3 layers) of masking tape and clamp down very firmly.

The most modding i have done was a new video card, new cpu fan and heat sink and a 120 mm fan all 3 fans now run at full speed and i run in the mid 30c

hole saws don't come in that size, or i would have to buy one, so I borrowed a circle cutter from my grandfather. If anyone else uses one, make sure you clamp down at least three sides, and hope the set screw doesn't snap and tear up your hand. It does have a nice kick when it gets through, even though its only 1/8th inch, so make sure to clamp it securely on the drill press table, because you aren't holding that thing in place. hole came out fine though. Another general tip, a 3 inch (78 mm) hole saw is a decent size for an 80 mm fan, and is good...2 mm isnt much of a difference anyway...

I actually have a hole saw that goes up to about 5 inches... it's made by LENOX (don't even know if they are still around) but these probably arn't as common as circle cutters.... I can't even remember where I got mine!