Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer

Catperson

Default Internet Explorer

Dear god, how do people stand it!?

Today, I realized that my disk space is filled to the brim. I was trying to download a patch for one of my MMOs, and I got "insufficient disk space". Anyway, I deleted as much as I possibly could, and got 0.03GB short of what I needed. I found that google chrome (which I was happily using) took up over 330 MB for some reason, and it was the only thing left that was even remotely removable (that or my printer...). So, now I'm stuck with internet explorer, at least for the moment. It is so much slower... if you haven't tried google chrome yet, do. It is so much faster than this crap.

And yes, I already did disk cleaning, deleting restore points, etc. This was my only option ='(

You should reinstall Google Chrome, I think it was telling the temp files that it stores (seperately from IE location?) Google chrome is supposed to be bare and have less resource consumption. Is it time for abigger hard drive perhaps? IE takes a lot more resources to run than Google Chrome. I would uninstall IE.

Maybe time for a new puter.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

WOW... How big is you HD? I would suggest getting a cheap external HD and copying all your non-program files (ie. Documents, Music, Videos, Photos, powerpoints, etc.) to that. I never have any videos or music on my primary hard drive. I use it just for programs and projects i am currently working on. As soon as i finish a project. All of the raw material is trashed and the final product is stored safely on my ext drive.

And i completely second... Chrome is the way to go. Esp with the new "Incognito Windows" for those who have a secret to keep and share a PC.

Catperson

Yeah, I actually was planning to reinstall Chrome after the download to see if it would work, and sure enough...

I'm using a Windows XP with a hard drive somewhere in the area of 77GB, give or take. I have World of Warcraft, which takes a good 27GB, and i also have Rift, which is about 9.5. I have abotu 50 other things, but not one of them surpasses 350MB. Only 2 or 3 are even bigger than 100MB. So I have no idea what's wasting 40GB of my space.

And yeah, I definitely think it's time for a new puter. I've had this... 5 years now? I think it's got a couple upgrades, memory and a video card, but I think it's about spent.

Uugh, I'm stuck with IE8 at work, and I hate hate hate it.

That said, it's a whole lot better than IE6, which I was stuck with until about six months ago when the corporate IT jackasses (seriously, I don't mean to offend IT people, and Mr. X is in IT, but the IT group at my company makes me want to simultaneously curl into a ball and cry and hurt people) finally decided that we should upgrade.

Supersam1223

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Uugh, I'm stuck with IE8 at work, and I hate hate hate it.

That said, it's a whole lot better than IE6, which I was stuck with until about six months ago when the corporate IT jackasses (seriously, I don't mean to offend IT people, and Mr. X is in IT, but the IT group at my company makes me want to simultaneously curl into a ball and cry and hurt people) finally decided that we should upgrade.
    Could you put your normal web browser on a memory stick and run it off of that or does the system block you from doing that, because my school system blocks me from using firefox, which I a bitch. But it may be different where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by supersam1223 View Post
    Could you put your normal web browser on a memory stick and run it off of that or does the system block you from doing that, because my school system blocks me from using firefox, which I a bitch. But it may be different where you are.
    I believe Chrome will run off of a flash drive.

I would recommend getting a larger hard drive and cloning it with a cheap enclosure (if it is a laptop or setting it as a slave in a desktop), getting an external drive, or run CCleaner with CCehnhancer. After two years of using my laptop, I ran that without CCehnhancer, and it cleared 13.6 GB in unneeded files that windows didn't clean. With CCenhancer, it clears even more, so that should get you some space

Supersam1223

Quote Originally Posted by ABalex View Post
    I believe Chrome will run off of a flash drive.
    I run firefox off a memory stick on my laptop for my "personal" browsing, but at school I can't because all the computers are run on a network and it blocks me from opening the browser.

Quote Originally Posted by supersam1223 View Post
    It's a Fortune 500 company, so they keep shit locked down in terms of using programs, as someone using unauthorized software opens the company up to all sorts of nasty legal action if caught.

Like I said, at least they finally upgraded from IE6...