Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: University

  1. #1

    Default University

    So I'm off to Uni in september, a bit nervous, but what I want to ask is how was your freshers year and how much did you spend on food each week, just so I can learn to budget, plus could you recommend any cheap meals, I'm a perfectly able cook I just wouldn't mind some tips, thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    My fresher's year was great fun, learnt a lot, made lots of good friends! Though I didn't get involved with any abdl (not that you were planning to either).

    I budget about 2-3 for an evening meal, then 15 for breakfast/lunch - with the odd snack at uni my average weekly food budget was about 40 a week.

    As for cheap food, I find a selection of stews/bakes with mixed pulses/beans/veg and mince or sausage is very filling and makes a lot - sometimes 8 portions for 5!

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    My fresher's year was great fun, learnt a lot, made lots of good friends! Though I didn't get involved with any abdl (not that you were planning to either).

    I budget about 2-3 for an evening meal, then 15 for breakfast/lunch - with the odd snack at uni my average weekly food budget was about 40 a week.

    As for cheap food, I find a selection of stews/bakes with mixed pulses/beans/veg and mince or sausage is very filling and makes a lot - sometimes 8 portions for 5!
    Excellent, thank-you and P.S. I have no intention of doing any AB/DL stuff at uni

  4. #4

    Default

    I haven't got to university yet, but my brother has a friend who got by on 8 pounds/12ish dollars a week for food. We still don't know how he did it...

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by GabeIsWinning View Post
    I haven't got to university yet, but my brother has a friend who got by on 8 pounds/12ish dollars a week for food. We still don't know how he did it...
    Ramen is 10/$1 at most stores, and the 1/2 pound menu at Taco Bell adds protein and variety to the diet. Also, a pound of ground beef on sale is around $3, and when combined with said ramen, can make a few meals of it. I had a friend in undergrad that did the same thing, living on $10-20 per two weeks.

  6. #6

    Default

    I would suggest shopping at Lidl, Morrison's and if push comes to shove Asda (I do hate Asda though).

    Lidl is amazing, their pre-packed food is ridiculously cheap and nommy, and their versions of bottled drinks and things are surprisingly good too, I would avoid their fresh fruit and veg however :3. Whenever I was at Morrison's it amazed me how much of their fresh baked goods were on offer. I'd pick up five steak and ale pies, baked fresh on the day for 1! Just had to make sure I went after 6pm :3.

    By shopping at Lidl and Morrison's I managed to keep my costs down to about 20-30 a fortnight for all my meals. Some of the food I was eating wasn't the best quality, so you might want to consider not buying the cheap frozen pizzas that Morrison's do (because they taste of nothing and are full of badness!).

    Freezers are your best friends, buy ingredients in bulk, and then freeze 4 or 5 portions of it after cooking. Hopefully you'll have a nice selection of different meals in no time, and also food for a rainy day! Just make sure you defrost and reheat it properly .

    The key to cheap living, is to not be lazy. However tempting it is :P. If you can be strict with yourself on that front, and stick to your budget you'll be sorted.

    PS: Never buy toiletries, cleaning equipment, toothbrushes and that sorta thing from supermarkets! They will rip you right off! Walk into your local town and find your local pound shop. They are your best friends when it comes to smelling purdy .

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I would suggest shopping at Lidl, Morrison's and if push comes to shove Asda (I do hate Asda though).

    Lidl is amazing, their pre-packed food is ridiculously cheap and nommy, and their versions of bottled drinks and things are surprisingly good too, I would avoid their fresh fruit and veg however :3. Whenever I was at Morrison's it amazed me how much of their fresh baked goods were on offer. I'd pick up five steak and ale pies, baked fresh on the day for 1! Just had to make sure I went after 6pm :3.



    By shopping at Lidl and Morrison's I managed to keep my costs down to about 20-30 a fortnight for all my meals. Some of the food I was eating wasn't the best quality, so you might want to consider not buying the cheap frozen pizzas that Morrison's do (because they taste of nothing and are full of badness!).

    Freezers are your best friends, buy ingredients in bulk, and then freeze 4 or 5 portions of it after cooking. Hopefully you'll have a nice selection of different meals in no time, and also food for a rainy day! Just make sure you defrost and reheat it properly .

    The key to cheap living, is to not be lazy. However tempting it is :P. If you can be strict with yourself on that front, and stick to your budget you'll be sorted.

    PS: Never buy toiletries, cleaning equipment, toothbrushes and that sorta thing from supermarkets! They will rip you right off! Walk into your local town and find your local pound shop. They are your best friends when it comes to smelling purdy .
    I just hope there are cheap shops in the area of London I'll be in, P.S. I'm not touching anything from ASDA after that quiche, I still 5 days later feeling odd

  8. #8
    Peachy

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhailivannovich View Post
    I just hope there are cheap shops in the area of London I'll be in, P.S. I'm not touching anything from ASDA after that quiche, I still 5 days later feeling odd
    I haven't seen many ASDA's in London, except the one I went to the day before going home after my last UK trip. I dunno what people have against ASDA though, other than the fact that it's owned by Wal-Mart.

    Peachy

  9. #9

    Default

    University for me is a pretty frugal experience for me and I usually tend to spend less than what I would when I am home at the folks' house. I live in-campus so most of my food and living accommodations are provided. But occasionally I venture to other stores to find food. I can't provide concise information since I am an American and I do not understand the exact processes and lifestyles of universities in the UK but to be perfectly honest humans are able to adapt to their economic situations gradually over time so I would say just get used to living frugally and with time it will be completely natural.

  10. #10

Similar Threads

  1. Hello from University of Florida
    By AquaBuddhaFL in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2011, 22:27
  2. A nerdy DL in University
    By trojanman in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-Jan-2010, 19:15
  3. AB/DL activities and college (or university)
    By Jeremiah in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 20-Jun-2008, 03:09

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.