Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my laptop in bad shape...

Default Is my laptop in bad shape...

Well, It does have a 250GB SSD that is nearly full(CURSE YOU MINECRAFT MODS AND OTHER CRAP I DON'T USE.) When I say full, I mean nearing the last 40GB of space.

As for other specs, it has an AMD Turion X2 RM-75 stock 2.2, clocked to 3.0. 4GB of DDR2 RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 overclocked to something...

But, it does have a piece missing off of the top left of the LCD Bezel, and is missing a good amount of screws for the bottom...

I really don't mind if I have to use my other laptop for school use and junk this one, only, my grades might suffer a bit from the games I would be playing in class. And no, I can't un-install them, because I only would have one computer good enough to actually play them.

The case is a bit beat up, but it should still be fine if you don't smash it around that much, as for OCing the CPU and GPU, as long as it works fine now, you should be good for a bit, but it is expected to wear the parts further and quicker.

What can you take off your hard drive and save to a memory stick or mass storage device? Working with IT at a public school, we always have to help students eliminate things from their limited storage on the servers. You can do it (subtle pep talk).

40gb is almost out of space? O_O, I have like 14gb (and that is on the high side, normally closer to ten) left on mine. I'd say 40gb is plenty of space imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    40gb is almost out of space? O_O, I have like 14gb (and that is on the high side, normally closer to ten) left on mine. I'd say 40gb is plenty of space imo.
    with the work that I do on it, 40GB is not really enough. My paging file is nearly 16GB as is for virtual memory.

As for what I have removed, I was able to get rid of a shit-ton of random junk I kept for no reason. My hard drive has around 90GB of space left on it now.

Cosmetic issues aside it sounds like it is running fine. As for storage you can always get an external hd for extra storage

Supersam1223

40gb!!! I'd kill for that, I had 12.something after I cleared out a load of programs I don't use and old files! I need to compress all of the images and PowerPoint presentations and move some of the files onto my external drive, and even then I won't have more than 20gb!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    40gb is almost out of space?
    It really depends what you do with your computer. My Mum's never managed to accumulate more than a few GB of stuff, where as I currently have 1.1TB in my Mozy backup. For me, 40GB is a day out with my camera (Canon 5D MkII).

Jato, I don't if this is suitable for you, but what I'm looking at for large storage at the moment is a Drobo S. With these you can expand the storage at anytime by swapping out or adding drives, and it duplicates files across multiple drives for redundancy. They are quite pricey though...

Hope is helps

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
    It really depends what you do with your computer. My Mum's never managed to accumulate more than a few GB of stuff, where as I currently have 1.1TB in my Mozy backup. For me, 40GB is a day out with my camera (Canon 5D MkII).

Jato, I don't if this is suitable for you, but what I'm looking at for large storage at the moment is a Drobo S. With these you can expand the storage at anytime by swapping out or adding drives, and it duplicates files across multiple drives for redundancy. They are quite pricey though...

Hope is helps
    I don't really need anything like that, mostly because my computer is USB 2.0 only, so it wouldn't be fast enough.

well you can replace your hard drive (works best if you have a desktop computer) with a 1TB hard drive to get your search started click here