Thread: Failure to clone external Hard drive to another external drive, suggestions?

Default Failure to clone external Hard drive to another external drive, suggestions?

My problem is the hard drive is on the verge of failure, so I tried cloning it with Acronis True Image, DriveImage XML, and xcopy in command prompt (Windows 7).
    In Acronis, it gave me a failure error, but no explanation or errorcode, same with DriveImageXML, and xcopy gave me a crc (cyclic redundancy error).
    To attempt to resolve this, I ran chkdsk on the drive, using this exact line: chkdsk H: /f/r/v/x/b (yes i know some of the switches are redundant such as /r implying /f), and it hung on the same exact point on stage four, so I tried it with /r, instead of /f as some people said that caused the problem, and that didn't work, just hung at the same exact spot. I finally just copied everything to the external drive (click and drag) with multiple files failing to transfer for different reasons, but since that doesn't copy the registry or other required files, and i don't have all of the software (favor for a family member visiting), and he lost the discs on top of that, it would help to clone it over. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this?

Also, I have decided to freeze the HDD, as it is on the verge of failure, and I copied everything i could, but i was wondering, should i let it thaw at room temparature, and wait a day for all condensation to evaporate, or would that destroy the drive, or should I try running chkdsk again and than cloning it (at which point it would have warmed up again already)

Thanks for the help, and if any OP's feel that this thread is not appropriate for this sub-forum, just remove it.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

The CRC errors are why the imaging tools are failing. If you've copied off what you can, you've pretty much done all you really can at this point. One thing though, try running chkdsk again and don't interrupt it, it's probably not hung so much as it's trying to find a way to resolve the problem it has hit up against. Depending on the size of the drive, and what's causing it to take so much time, it could easily take up to 2 days for chkdsk to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by oreocookie View Post
    The CRC errors are why the imaging tools are failing. If you've copied off what you can, you've pretty much done all you really can at this point. One thing though, try running chkdsk again and don't interrupt it, it's probably not hung so much as it's trying to find a way to resolve the problem it has hit up against. Depending on the size of the drive, and what's causing it to take so much time, it could easily take up to 2 days for chkdsk to finish.
    It is a 2.5 inch sata laptop hdd in an external enclosure, and i did let it go uninterupted for three hours, hanging on the one file, trying it with the above mentioned switces (all but /i and /c), than all but /i/c/f, and finally all but /i/c/r. it always hung on the one spot on stage four, and it only took an hour and a half to run on my 250 GB xp hard drive in the same enclosure, with more disk space used, so I doubt it is from not giving it enough time.

Last time my hard disk was in that state it took 2 days, 4 hours and 37 minutes to finish, so I speak from experience

heh...well i just took it out of the freezer, and i am going to let it thaw out, hope all the condensation evaporates, and test it out.

Hello71

If your hard drive is failing, using chkdsk is pretty much the worst thing you can do to it. It stresses the drive, causing it to completely fail sooner. What you SHOULD do is get as much data off as fast as possible once you know it's failing. Avoid mounting it if at all possible, and use tools such as dd_rescue to copy as much data off, ignoring errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hello71 View Post
    If your hard drive is failing, using chkdsk is pretty much the worst thing you can do to it. It stresses the drive, causing it to completely fail sooner. What you SHOULD do is get as much data off as fast as possible once you know it's failing. Avoid mounting it if at all possible, and use tools such as dd_rescue to copy as much data off, ignoring errors.
    thats what I did, copied everything, ran chkdsk on the drive after getting everything i could

Quote Originally Posted by Hello71 View Post
    Since he'd already got what he could from it, chkdsk can't do much more harm and may actually allow recovery of a few other files (not likely of course, but one can always hope).

Oh, and I just realized I forgot to mention the 2 days was the total time, the worst file took 8 hours, and impressively enough, it actually recovered it to a fully readable state (although the file it got stuck on? I could have remade it from the original home videos LOL!)

Hello71

Quote Originally Posted by oreocookie View Post
    Since he'd already got what he could from it, chkdsk can't do much more harm and may actually allow recovery of a few other files (not likely of course, but one can always hope).
    There's far more data that can be gleaned, even without using forensic tools, off a hard drive that's failing. dd_rescue and friends can copy far more data, especially if some files aren't visible to the FS driver (marked deleted or such).