Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else monitor their hydration?

Default Anyone else monitor their hydration?

I suppose I would attribute it to being overheated when I was a teen while working outside in 100 degree temperatures. It was bad enough that I broke into a cold sweat and was cold in the hot sun, and also had flu like symptoms for a week after. When a Sunday school class member ended up in the hospital from dehydration.

If you don't believe it can happen to you, my buddy is a desk jockey who doesn't go outside and stays in an air conditioned environment over 90% of his life yet he still ended up with his life in danger on a stretcher in the emergency room from low fluid intake.

In discussion with the class I found that I am a bit more aware than most people concerning fluid intake and output. For instance I as soon as I wake up I drink 30 to 40 ounces of water to begin my day. I try not to drink anything other than water if I am working or going to be out on a hot day, and I note the color of my urine when I go to the bathroom and adjust my fluid intake as needed.

clear - over hydrated
    light yellow - normal
    dark yellow - slightly dehydrated
    orange - moderately dehydrated

I already know I'm weird, but has anyone else been dehydrated to the point that you require medical attention, and did it cause you to be more aware thereafter?

Odl9791

I do because the dehydration headaches are very painful and mildly blinding when really bad.

I don't really pay too much attention, but I have tried to force myself to drink more water (and less soda, the soda more due to all the bad crap then the dehydration). I'm fairly certain I've twice come to a point I probably should have or could have needed medical attention for dehydration, but not 100%.

The first was when I was younger, and a birthday party. Foggy memory, but I mainly remember blacking-out, then everything being weirdly colored and being incredibly dizzy, I may of thrown up between then, but not really sure. About all I remember of that day.

The second wasn't as bad, and may of just been paranoia for all I know. I just remember the bus driver (city bus) missed a stop, so I had to get off farther from my house, When I got near home, but about a block away, I swear I think I stopped sweating. That was about it, and got home and quickly turned on a fan and got a big cup of water.

The only other things I remember, is I swear had a few small blackouts during middle school PE, where it was hard to get water because the "coaches" were...assholes about it quite often (shit, they'd give you flak if you said it was hot because it was 90-100 degrees).

EDIT: Remember one more, I almost got put on an IV at a doctor's office because I was overly dehydrated (had to do a urine test, forgot why now)

I do the same thing now khaymen, however I always try to go for clear urine. Whenever it's dark though I drink water as soon as possible.

Earlier this year I went to the doctor for an annual checkup which included a urinalysis test, and the doctor said I drink too much water. I didn't think that was possible. My urine is usually clear, and I am thirsty all the time. I've read that it could be a sign of diabetes or something, but I also had blood tests and none of them detected diabetes.

I don't make a point of checking each time, but often when I go for a pee I'll look what colour it is. Usually it's light yellow so I'm fine, if it's significantly darker I'll go and get a drink. It's not usually clear, normally only on some really hot days or when I'm doing sport in which case I'll drink more. Usually I adjust it right, sometimes I'll drink more than needed. In my view it's better to drink more at times like that and sometimes go a bit over which shouldn't matter too much if it's only occasionally, rather than dehydrate quite quickly.

I do this ALL THE TIME.

But just last week, I made a TERRIBLE move. Like, this was the stupidest thing I've ever done health wise.

I went for a 7 mile bike ride, in the heat, with no stores or gas stations near by, in the country, ALONE, with ONE bottle of water. :\ And I didn't drink anything before I left. I think I almost had a heat stroke. I was seeing things, I was incredibly dizzy, nauseated and vomiting.

SCARY. D:

Butterfly Mage

When I exercise, I try to make sure that I don't dehydrate. Likewise, if I am in a non-exercise situation where I know I won't be able to easily change my diaper, I try to drink the minimum amount of liquid that I can get away with.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    clear - over hydrated
    light yellow - normal
    dark yellow - slightly dehydrated
    orange - moderately dehydrated
    I use this system these days, I started drinking a lot more water at uni (mainly because it's free) and found this to be a good way of telling. While I've never been dehydrated I was aware that I wasn't drinking much water so did it a simple way to improve my health.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    I use this system these days, I started drinking a lot more water at uni (mainly because it's free) and found this to be a good way of telling. While I've never been dehydrated I was aware that I wasn't drinking much water so did it a simple way to improve my health.
    Although it sounds silly, if you're under hydrated, then just drinking a little bit more water can improve your cognitive performance. Just make sure you don't over do it in exams!