Thread: Need to know about travelling abroad.

Default Need to know about travelling abroad.

I need to know about this cos it will be my first time going to do this soon.
    Don't know when but when I have the knowlage and know where I am going and a few days off.

• What do I need to know when going aboard?
    • If I buy thing and want to bring them back. Will I be allowed to?
    • Will they check if I can bring them back?
    • Can I use my debit card when aboard or do I need to the currentey exchange?
    I think thats all for now.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreMickal View Post
    I need to know about this cos it will be my first time going to do this soon.
    Don't know when but when I have the knowlage and know where I am going and a few days off.

• What do I need to know when going aboard?
    • If I buy thing and want to bring them back. Will I be allowed to?
    • Will they check if I can bring them back?
    • Can I use my debit card when aboard or do I need to the currentey exchange?
    I think thats all for now.
    I can at least answer the last three questions:
    As long as you travel within the European Union, you can bring home as much as you can fit into your suitcase, as long as it's a legal item in your country (so no drugs or guns!). There are no custom checks, so no need to worry about that.
    If you travel outside of the EU, there are limits as to what you can bring back. I know you can bring back 100 EUR worth of stuff into my country - no clue how much that is for the UK (check on the website of UK customs). The easy way around that is to simply tear any price tags off newly bought stuff and make it look used, then they'd have a hard time proving that the item wasn't in your suitcase when you left England.
    As for payment options: Your best option is getting a credit card for payments abroad. As long as there's a VISA or Mastercard logo on your debit card, it should work too. At any rate, your card issuer may charge fees for converting currency on the card (mine charges 1%), so inquire before you leave. Plus it's always useful to enter a country with at least a small amount of cash, in case you wish to purchase food or drinks or other items. Small stores do may not accept credit cards (they don't here).

Peachy

Oh one more thing:
    What about Visa (That card saying you can come in the county) Do I need them even if I stay a night or do I need them for long stays?

If you're in a tourist location, there will almost always be an exchange beureau around to take out foreign money from your account (in the EU anyway, dunno bout elsewhere!). I'd recommend taking out what you think you might need for your stay BEFORE you go, since the exchange rates aren't as good in tourist locations as they are here.

oh yeah, and one piece of hand luggage [outbound journey] is the restriction in the UK right now, and only 3x100ml of liquid items in your hand luggage... so don't pack bottles of juice and sun screen in your flight bag :p

apart from that... sorry i'm not much help

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreMickal View Post
    Oh one more thing:
    What about Visa (That card saying you can come in the county) Do I need them even if I stay a night or do I need them for long stays?
    I think there's no other nationality that opens more doors worldwide than a British passport. There are few countries you'll need a visa for when visiting (Russia, for example). In most countries, you can just turn up and get in for 30-90 days, as long as you're only going to be a tourist and not working there. And within the EU, you will never need a visa anyway - you can move to any other EU country immediately and never look back.

Peachy

-Find a detergent you can use in the hotel bathroom. Hotels charge a bunch for their laundry service. Just use the tub and slosh things around a bit. If you're traveling to a humid country, this doesn't work as well because the clothes take forever to dry.

-For internet, find an internet cafe. They have dirt cheap prices, and even some video games if you are feeling homesick.

-Depending on where you travel, have a money pouch to store most of your money and documents, always carry at the very least, a copy of your passport and papers. Keep your credit cards and other plastic in a safe place, not your pocket. Keep your wallet in your pocket with some money and ID, so if you get mugged, it will be quick and easy.

-Never try to out drink the locals, just don't.

-Foregin girls/boys have a look, don't touch policy.

-Pack light. Even if you're going to be gone for a couple weeks, you can live out of one suitcase. My goal is to have everything fit into either a camping backpack, and a smaller carry on.

-Always listen to the police, and the local mafia.